Foundation causing burning eyes and under-eye area. Suggestions!

Crystalina

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
Hello, everyone!

I am looking for suggestions or recommendations here, as I don't know what else to try.

For a long time I was a Clinique fan, until about a year ago. I realized that their foundations were burning my eyes. I used to wear their ''Perfectly Real'' liquid foundation (and applied it like a concealer too), only to find my eyeballs were bright red. *sigh*

I immediately got myself to Sephora to try more natural brands, like Korres as well as some more ''main-stream'' brands like Make Up Forever and Lancome. Again, bright red, sore, itchy eyes. So bad, in fact, that I had to see the eye doctor, who gave me a 2 week prescription of steroid eyedrops.

I've gone to whole foods and tried ZuZu luxe and Gabriel makeup lines---a/k/a FUNERAL PARLOR MAKEUP.

I don't know what else to do. I am a teacher and I have to go back to school in a little over 4 weeks. I have to figure this out.

My sister recommended the Cover Girl Simply Ageless which I LOVED, except for the fact that it ALSO burned my eyes! :cry:

Does anyone have any brand suggestions? I am desperate and don't know what else to try!

TIA!

I have a perspective.

A lot of foundation burns my eyes if I get it too close to the eye socket or put it on my lid, along with several liquid concealers and most liquid eye shadow primers (I'm talking to you MAC and Urban Decay). I take care to keep the foundation far away from my eyes, although Clinique's new Stay Matte doesn't irritate me at all.

For the rest, I have had better luck with cream concealers/eye primers. Although Laura Mercier's and Trish McEvoy's eye basics/primers don't irritate me.

I would recommend trying as much as possible to keep the foundation away from your eye area. If you can find a concealer that's a close match to the color of your foundation, just use the concealer for your eye area and try to blend the foundation in with it only at the lowest part of your eye area. Have you trid any Almay foundations or concealers? Their products are hypoallergenic, and might be a little easier on your eyes.

That makes me wonder what you're having an allergy to. I cannot wear most things with silicones in them, lanolin or castor oil. I get a sexy blistery rash from them all. But I have found that some things make my face burn sometihng awful. One of those recent discoveries was Loreal Voluminous mascara and a few of the shades in my Naked palette!

oh wow! I've never heard of such a thing happening with Clinique! they are supposedly hypoallergenic. it definitely sounds like you allergic to a certain ingredient, probably a chemical. I'd stick to concealer around the eyes and if necessary opt for a hypoallergenic or all-natural foundation from brands such as Almay or Tarte.

do any of these foundations have spf in them? My eyes used to tear like crazy when i used the revlon color stay..i switched foundations and it was still burning, and i realized it was the spf. so now i don't use a foundation with spf for going out(for the burning reason and also so I don't look like a ghost in pictures)...and when I do use a foundation with spf, i use a concealer on my under eye area

I have a perspective.

A lot of foundation burns my eyes if I get it too close to the eye socket or put it on my lid, along with several liquid concealers and most liquid eye shadow primers (I'm talking to you MAC and Urban Decay). I take care to keep the foundation far away from my eyes, although Clinique's new Stay Matte doesn't irritate me at all.

For the rest, I have had better luck with cream concealers/eye primers. Although Laura Mercier's and Trish McEvoy's eye basics/primers don't irritate me.

^I agree with her theory. So sorry to hear about your eyes! Do you happen to wear contact lenses? Maybe something is catching onto the lens? Anyways...would you consider wearing something "lighter" for a while like a Tinted Moisturiser or a BB Cream? Perhaps the consistency of these types of products won't bother you?

Din't get me wrong... I love their products, but my eyes definitely don't. Almost all makeup (eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner and foundation) burns my eyes. All brands that have been recommended to me. The only ones that DON'T are Marcelle and Body Shop. There seems to be an ingredient in makeup that my eyes won't tolerate, so these brands must notmhave them. Good luck!

My eye are like this. Even when I don't put the foundation near my eye, it burns. Only foundation that works is the Tarte clay foundation.

Could be alcohol in the formula.

I had a reaction but my foundation made my eyes water and gave me the sniffles, sometimes also making my skin itch, almost like I had hay fever or the beginning of a cold/flu

Perhaps switch to a clean brand or TM for now to desensitise, then see what happens.

Hello, everyone!

I am looking for suggestions or recommendations here, as I don't know what else to try.

For a long time I was a Clinique fan, until about a year ago. I realized that their foundations were burning my eyes. I used to wear their ''Perfectly Real'' liquid foundation (and applied it like a concealer too), only to find my eyeballs were bright red. *sigh*

I immediately got myself to Sephora to try more natural brands, like Korres as well as some more ''main-stream'' brands like Make Up Forever and Lancome. Again, bright red, sore, itchy eyes. So bad, in fact, that I had to see the eye doctor, who gave me a 2 week prescription of steroid eyedrops.

I've gone to whole foods and tried ZuZu luxe and Gabriel makeup lines---a/k/a FUNERAL PARLOR MAKEUP.

I don't know what else to do. I am a teacher and I have to go back to school in a little over 4 weeks. I have to figure this out.

My sister recommended the Cover Girl Simply Ageless which I LOVED, except for the fact that it ALSO burned my eyes! :cry:

Does anyone have any brand suggestions? I am desperate and don't know what else to try!

TIA!
Are these all liquid products that you mention? Maybe try a powder foundation, use wet and with a small sponge tapping a light layer gently around the eyes. If all is good the maybe add another layer. I like Guerlain's powder foundations but for you just to try, maybe get a cheap one or even a refill (not in a compact), something from a large brand. I feel large brands are more universally compatible for people as they cater to a very large customer base so need to formulate their products to be safe for a lot of people.

IT Cosmetics gets good reviews.. I have never tried their products because the shade range doesn't work
for me..
There are some really good brands on several of the home shopping networks & what makes them
appealing is that if the product doesn't work for any reason it can be returned once used... That option
isn't available at most of the department stores..