Found the thief - give our bag back!

babydau

Jan 10, 2014
hi there ladies and gents, i am trying to help my aunt try to get her Neverfull GM back from a thief!
long story short:
her purse was stolen, and they believe they found the person trying to sell her bag thru a local facebook page!
the reason we strongly believe its hers:
the person has a lot of random items on the page, they're all listed to call different numbers, and so when we called.. the guy could not answer any questions what so ever!
-The name of the bag (Neverfull) the size (GM) the print (DE)

they went into LV to see if they could somehow get the Datecode of the bag they purchased, but LV was no use!
they kept saying there is no way they could give my aunt and uncle the date code.
(which is upsetting! they spent their hard earned money, the bag has a code, but LV did not have a record of it?!)

what do you suggest doing?
(side note, both her and i now take pictures of the date codes and another picture with our faces in them.. for security purposes.)

call the police?

there was a police report filed stating the purse was one of the items stolen..
which is also why they tried to go to LV to see if they could get proof that the purse listed is in fact hers, but that was a dead end.

can we still call the same officer who assisted them, telling them we believe we found the bag?

which is also why they tried to go to LV to see if they could get proof that the purse listed is in fact hers, but that was a dead end.

can we still call the same officer who assisted them, telling them we believe we found the bag?
Better odds with that than rounding up a posse of TPFers.

If not the police, I don't really see what else you can do. If you made a report and have suspicion that you found the item, it is their obligation to at least inquire about it. I doubt they'll end up doing much, but if don't think you really have any other options. I would just call their non emergency number and let them know that you may be able to locate a stolen item, and provide your report number.

Better odds with that than rounding up a posse of TPFers.

If not the police, I don't really see what else you can do. If you made a report and have suspicion that you found the item, it is their obligation to at least inquire about it. I doubt they'll end up doing much, but if don't think you really have any other options. I would just call their non emergency number and let them know that you may be able to locate a stolen item, and provide your report number.

thank you!
all my life, i did not know there was a non-emergency number.

thank you!
all my life, i did not know there was a non-emergency number.
Typically, a police report is held as "open" until it has been resolved. So the report should still be open and available for patrol (at least) to follow up on. If you tell them the person may be trafficking stolen goods, it may get the attention of a specialized department or detective, but I can't say for sure. It'll probably depend on how deep they dig and how much effort they put into trying to meet up with or locate this person, but it's what they're there for :smile:

I don't understand. Lots of shady people sell things on Facebook. Date codes are not unique. They could make 100 on the same day. How does anything prove this is your aunt's bag? Unless it was hotstamped with your initials I doubt the police will do anything at all. They would have no way of proving it was your aunt's bag unfortunately. The neverful is extremely popular in DE in the GM size. Thousands of them.

I just don't see any way you can know for sure this is your aunts bag.

LV has no reason to link date codes to sales. It's not a serial number. On any given date code, there could be up to 100 or more bags the same style, size, and print with the exact same date code. They make hundreds of bags at any given factory on any given day. They would all have the exact same date code. That would be meaningless to the police unfortunately.

Last edited:
Typically, a police report is held as "open" until it has been resolved. So the report should still be open and available for patrol (at least) to follow up on. If you tell them the person may be trafficking stolen goods, it may get the attention of a specialized department or detective, but I can't say for sure. It'll probably depend on how deep they dig and how much effort they put into trying to meet up with or locate this person, but it's what they're there for :smile:

im explaining this to my aunt and we both feel like you're our angel!
thank you again!!

it just sucks that people would go to such lengths!
to steal something someone hard worked hard for... not cool!

I don't understand. Lots of shady people sell things on Facebook. Date codes are not unique. They could make 100 on the same day. How does anything prove this is your aunt's bag? Unless it was hotstamped with your initials I doubt the police will do anything at all. They would have no way of proving it was your aunt's bag unfortunately. The neverful is extremely popular in DE in the GM size. Thousands of them.

I just don't see any way you can know for sure this is your aunts bag.

i understand, we just feel its hers because its literally a week after her incident.
but we're going to call the officer and let him know what we found and see what can happen from there.

im explaining this to my aunt and we both feel like you're our angel!
thank you again!!

it just sucks that people would go to such lengths!
to steal something someone hard worked hard for... not cool!
No problem. I work in law enforcement, but it don't want to get your hopes up that they'll actually produce any results... I just think it's about all you can do. If your aunt made a claim through her insurance, they may also have loss recovery investigators but again, not sure how much leg work they'll actually do.

I hope it works out for the best. I hope that at least you can put this person on their radar if they are the thief.

Are there any marks on the bag that your aunt could identify that the seller didn't mention or have pictures of in the ad? That might help prove it was your bag.....

You may not get anywhere with it but i'm keeping my fingers crossed for your auntie.
Unfortunately there are SO MANY neverfull's... very high possibility that it isn't your aunties.
You may never know or be able to prove it's hers unless it was hotstamped etc
But not meaning to be negative good luck honey xo