Found Nuremberg Hermes...(story)

r.b_boi

O.G.
Jul 17, 2010
hi everyone,

so a few of you may remember my ongoing birkin saga. Well yesterday I found the hermes in nuremberg a wonderful tpfer told me about. Their store is much smaller than the one in Munich, but what they lacked in space they more than made up for in inventory!! I wish I had pics to illustrate this part of the story, but it was frigid out last night and chose to leave my camera (and accidentally, my phone). I was immediately taken in by the scarves, but had to pull myself away. I continued to look around and saw no b's or the amico shoes. So i figured i'd at least ask about the travel bolide. Unfortunately they did not have any, but she did let me play with the 31 cm they had available. I was smitten by this bag, Hermes really does make wonderful items. Then she suggested I check out the basement, which was a bit obscured by all the merchandise. I go downstairs and begin to look around. I see their selections of mens belts, none caught my eye so I inquired if there were any more available. Unfortunately, hermes is experiencing difficulty delivering belts to its boutiques worldwide so they did not have any. I continue to browse around, and then randomly i look on top of a shelf and what do I see but a 50 bikin :yahoo:...my heart skipped a beat and I walked straight over to it and asked if i could see it. She pulled down the 50 toile phw and handed it to me. Although the color was not what i wanted i was at least able to use it reference the 50 to my frame. I must say that I actually like the 50 more than the 40 as i think it would be enough space for my items and it looks less purse like. I've read a lot of people's remarks about the weight of the bag, but it definitely did not seem heavy to me, but that could be because my frame of reference is 100+ lbs rucksacks i was lugging up and down mountains. So at this point I've come across a birkin that was wrong size, hardware, and color. Now i've found right hardware, right size, wrong color...maybe the third time will be my charm. Oh FYI, if anyone is considering a 50, it was 7300 euro.

Now on to the most lamentable part of the evening...I was enjoying a chocolate and banana crepe from a local stand (and boy was it good)...then I go to the restroom to wash my hands, as there was SOOOOOO much chocolate, and i look in the mirror to see two chocolate smudges on my ex libris en camouflage!! i've read that some handwash, while others only dry clean. I tried to take it to a nearby cleaners, but they are closed on the weekend...should i wait until monday and take it there to see if she could honestly get it clean, or if i should try to wash it out myself. If it makes it easier i can take some pics so you all can see...TIA...

Great story! Sorry about the chocolate smudges on your scarf. One of the issues with dry cleaning is if the dry cleaner presses the hems of your scarf flat.

You should know that toile and leather doesn't have the same weight. I tried on a 25 Birkin and it felt sooo light. Then I tried on a leather one and was very different. Trust me. You need to try on a B50 in leather.

r.b._boi, , sorry to hear about the chocolate stains! I've had some success with this method: scrape off as much chocolate from the surface as possible (I use the edge of a spoon), and then put a dab of Dawn dishwashing detergent, or some other "grease-busting" dish soap just on the stain(s). Gently rub detergent into stain, let it sit for no more than a minute or so, then flush thoroughly with clear water. Press out excess water with a clean towel. Let air dry and see if that helps, you can always repeat the process.

Good luck!

You should know that toile and leather doesn't have the same weight. I tried on a 25 Birkin and it felt sooo light. Then I tried on a leather one and was very different. Trust me. You need to try on a B50 in leather.

Well said. You have to try on the leather 50cm. Leather and Toile are VERY DIFFERENT in weight. Good luck with your search!

Great story! Sorry about the chocolate smudges on your scarf. One of the issues with dry cleaning is if the dry cleaner presses the hems of your scarf flat.

i was reading that is a big issue with dry cleaning...

i'm still itching to get my hands on a 50 leather, because like i said it would be nothing for me to carry that all day...

r.b._boi, , sorry to hear about the chocolate stains! I've had some success with this method: scrape off as much chocolate from the surface as possible (I use the edge of a spoon), and then put a dab of Dawn dishwashing detergent, or some other "grease-busting" dish soap just on the stain(s). Gently rub detergent into stain, let it sit for no more than a minute or so, then flush thoroughly with clear water. Press out excess water with a clean towel. Let air dry and see if that helps, you can always repeat the process.

Good luck!

i'll give that a try now...thanks!!!

Well said. You have to try on the leather 50cm. Leather and Toile are VERY DIFFERENT in weight. Good luck with your search!

thanks for the well wishes...soon enough i'll have the reveal i've been wanting...

Oh, you say that now.. :hugs:

Trust me.. I carry a LOT everyday and I thought I could handle a 35 kelly but it is heavy and I have to order a canvas strap now just so it will be easier on my hands. However you can always make it easier by padding the handles on your B and cover the padding up with twillies. I chose a 35 because I am plus size so I understand if you want to go by your frame. I am just saying that you need to exercise more or chose a 40. :P

I am sure your dream bag will come to you when the time is right. It has been almost six months since I got mine and I am still in a love sick blurr.. That is how you will be.. soon.. soon.

Ps. My box Kelly is nothing. I could carry her all day on my arm. Think about which leather you want too.

I'm so glad you went to Nuremburg. I bought my ExLenC in the teal colors there and their help is amazing. The wonderful SA let me hold and try out some of their bags - that was a first for me. How fun is this - cruising through Germany and exploring the Hermes stores :tup::tup::tup::yes:

Hope you find a leather 50! I dont think you'll find it too heavy, given your regimen and your muscle. How did you make out with the cleaning? Spot cleaning may leave a water spot. I wash all my scarves in a high efficiency front load washer on the gentle/handwash cycle. Roll the hems between your thumbs, dry flat then iron. I've never had a problem with this method but I know it freaks some people out to do anything but dry-clean. If you go that route, make sure they understand not press hems and get that written on the receipt.

How was Nuremberg with all the Christmas stalls and lights - it must be amazing. Sorry about the schoggi stains - you had me worried for a moment that you'd somehow bought the birkin and got it on that....

Sorry about the chocolate mishap, better than Gluehwein, now that's a beast to remove.

I have spent a small fortune on silks at the Nuremberg store and the staff are fabulous. They let me try to my heart's content, too and were friendly beyond belief.

Good luck with removing the stain either yourself or with a reputable dry cleaner, Hermes can usually recommend a dry cleaner.

I also agree with the other posters that a 50 B is very heavy to carry. I do not for a moment doubt that you can not pull it off, but it would be uncomfortable and possibly unhealthy in the long run. If you are set on a 50, the toile might be a better option - and available straight away, too. ust a thought...:graucho:

Oh, you say that now.. :hugs:

Trust me.. I carry a LOT everyday and I thought I could handle a 35 kelly but it is heavy and I have to order a canvas strap now just so it will be easier on my hands. However you can always make it easier by padding the handles on your B and cover the padding up with twillies. I chose a 35 because I am plus size so I understand if you want to go by your frame. I am just saying that you need to exercise more or chose a 40. :P

I am sure your dream bag will come to you when the time is right. It has been almost six months since I got mine and I am still in a love sick blurr.. That is how you will be.. soon.. soon.

Ps. My box Kelly is nothing. I could carry her all day on my arm. Think about which leather you want too.

the twillies is a great idea...a great way continue feeding my new addiction lol. Like i said before, my idea of heavy might be a little different from others due to the nature of my job...however i think i should probably try it out...

I'm so glad you went to Nuremburg. I bought my ExLenC in the teal colors there and their help is amazing. The wonderful SA let me hold and try out some of their bags - that was a first for me. How fun is this - cruising through Germany and exploring the Hermes stores :tup::tup::tup::yes:

i was tempted to buy something there, but i felt like i would be cheating on the SA at Munich. Nevertheless it is fun to at least pop in and have a look at the selection they have. At least this store had the Amico shoe (although it was not in my size nor the color i was looking for, it was more of an etoupe), maybe the next store i visit will have both the bag and shoe!! Next time i go to a store i'll be sure to take my camera so i can get pics of the storefronts...

Hope you find a leather 50! I dont think you'll find it too heavy, given your regimen and your muscle. How did you make out with the cleaning? Spot cleaning may leave a water spot. I wash all my scarves in a high efficiency front load washer on the gentle/handwash cycle. Roll the hems between your thumbs, dry flat then iron. I've never had a problem with this method but I know it freaks some people out to do anything but dry-clean. If you go that route, make sure they understand not press hems and get that written on the receipt.

I must admit, i had the detergent in my hand a buck of water...and i chickened out. Its horribly frightening thinking of cleaning it myself!! You all are very brave to do this yourselves. I just can't get over potentially messing it up, as its one of my favorites. So i am going to take it to the dry cleaners and ask her if she feels comfortable with cleaning it after i stress that the hems cannot be pressed. Correct me if i'm wrong, but they should also avoid pressing the hermes and any other writings?

How was Nuremberg with all the Christmas stalls and lights - it must be amazing. Sorry about the schoggi stains - you had me worried for a moment that you'd somehow bought the birkin and got it on that....

It was AMAZING!! Everything was so beautiful, the churches were decorated and lit, but there were SO many people!! OMG, if i had spilled chocolate on the bag (which would have been toile) I would have lost it...oh, and you'd have probably heard my anguished screams...lol

Sorry about the chocolate mishap, better than Gluehwein, now that's a beast to remove.

I have spent a small fortune on silks at the Nuremberg store and the staff are fabulous. They let me try to my heart's content, too and were friendly beyond belief.

Good luck with removing the stain either yourself or with a reputable dry cleaner, Hermes can usually recommend a dry cleaner.

I also agree with the other posters that a 50 B is very heavy to carry. I do not for a moment doubt that you can not pull it off, but it would be uncomfortable and possibly unhealthy in the long run. If you are set on a 50, the toile might be a better option - and available straight away, too. ust a thought...:graucho:

Gluehwein!! That's what i was supposed to try while i was there. A friend suggested it, because it's a great way to warm up and its tasty (from what i hear). The staff there is SUPER friendly. We laughed and chit chatted for a while, after I saw there was nothing that jumped at me...sometimes SA's (i've noticed this in the states more than anywhere else), will try to rush you along when they feel you aren't going to buy anything...

I think I'll call to locate a good dry cleaner if the one near me doesn't strike me as competent enough to clean it...

Everyone keeps stressing the weight of the bag, i think i should really try one out...hopefully soon i'll be able to at least get a feel of the weight, because the 50 i tried was nothing...

r.b_boi, the Nuremberg staff are indeed very nice. i found a grail EL 90cm there so you never know!

with regards to the 50 (r u sure it is a birkin 50 as those are very rare these days), it does hold a lot but weighs a ton even when empty. since this is stricly a tote (not shoulder carry not messenger), i do caution against using it as an everyday day for lugging around. just something to consider.

have u seen a HAC40 in real life yet? i think this may be a nice compromise between 40 vs. 50 birkin. it should be easily available as well. so make sure to ask the SA at either German stores to track them down for you to take a look before your decision.

good luck!