Found my stolen Hermes bracelets on Ebay!

She charged you for YOUR OWN ITEMS even knowing they were stolen from you?!

If this was just a clerk who works there, I'd request the name, number and time that the owner or manager will be in and approach that person.

Although they too are victims of the crook, pawn shops who accept items risk loss of those items and the money they paid if the items should turn out to have been stolen.

They should have GIVEN you back YOUR OWN items and not charged you a cent.

I realize it's not the amount of money and I also realize it didn't cost you a lot to get your items back but it's the principle. These were your own items and you shouldn't have had to pay for them.

Just curious, because I don't know the formality of things, how does OP prove that these are her things? What if there's no certificate or photographs that these things were ever in her possession?

Let's say my house was broken in and they took a gold chain bracelet, something simple. I report the loss to the police. I go to the pawn shop and find it there. How is the pawn shop suppose to take my word that this piece is indeed mine?

I understand that OP's items might have been more unique and she probably had to describe in detail the items that went missing, but what if the items were generic and many pieces were made and sold?

Reactions: Bratty1919
Just curious, because I don't know the formality of things, how does OP prove that these are her things? What if there's no certificate or photographs that these things were ever in her possession?

Let's say my house was broken in and they took a gold chain bracelet, something simple. I report the loss to the police. I go to the pawn shop and find it there. How is the pawn shop suppose to take my word that this piece is indeed mine?

I understand that OP's items might have been more unique and she probably had to describe in detail the items that went missing, but what if the items were generic and many pieces were made and sold?
While I would say it's nearly impossible to prove a single item as her own but to have found multiple items in the same store and other multiple items from the same seller who "happens" to be located in close proximity to the theft, common sense would say that they're the OP's items.

Yes..I had to buy back my items from the pawn shop. It's apparently the law.
However, that isn't the law on other stolen property. So if the police can find my other items, they can just take them back and give them to me.

So I finally got to speak with the property recovery detective. He Ebay messaged the seller to ask him where he got the items as they appear stolen. So now we know why the bracelets came down. The seller also won't respond to the detective's ebay messages... I wish he just would have let me buy them back first!!

But I did tell him about the Mackage coat and how it ended up on the pawn list after I had returned it via a UPS Store. I emailed the detectives all the details...now I'm waiting to see what they say/do before writing a review of the UPS Store online or something else that might make al little more noise...

I'm so sorry for all the hassle and the ordeal you have gone through. Thank you for sharing this though. It's been really illuminating. It sure does sound like you were targeted based on your return of that coat. Hopefully, the police will do something with that information and do some investigating of the employees at that particular UPS Store. This may have happened to a lot of other people there. You were likely not the first victim.

Your experience with ebay and the listings being taken down was exactly what happened to my relative all those years ago too. Why, why, why do the police have to contact the seller and tip them off? Same thing happened to my relative and the jewelry was never recovered as a result.

Reactions: Zzyzx
If the p.d. gives the seller a heads up without following through on getting contact information and prosecution against the seller and her "supplier," the police aren't doing a complete job.

I'd assume there was more going on behind the scenes whereby they were gathering information about the seller, address, phone number, etc. and would follow through on knocking on her door!

So I finally got to speak with the property recovery detective. He Ebay messaged the seller to ask him where he got the items as they appear stolen. So now we know why the bracelets came down. The seller also won't respond to the detective's ebay messages... I wish he just would have let me buy them back first!!

How is this person a detective? YOU could have done that if all you wanted to do was tip them off. smh
eta: I mean seriously, what did they expect the seller to do "Oh! Yes, you're correct. These are indeed stolen. I confess, here is my address." Seriously?

Yep! I couldn't believe what this so called "detective" did!
Hopefully there is a "method to the madness" here--what looks like a "duh!" to us will eventually get the bracelets returned and the thief prosecuted (kinda of what Columbo did). However ... the police do make bonehead errors sometimes :confused1: .

Well I haven't heard back from ANYONE, so I'm growing impatient. This morning I called the UPS Store corporate (since "The UPS Store" is not actually owned/managed by UPS itself) to file a formal complaint. The woman from customer service took down my information and told me someone who manages this "region" will get in contact with me.

Basically at this point I want whoever works at The UPS Store to be identified so they don't have more opportunities to do this to others. We will see if that goes anywhere.

I had to return something again today so I taped everything up super well, have a picture of the receipt and mentally got a picture of the attendant. I also have things shipped to my guy's work so there is no risk of anyone else getting my home address. I know I could have gone to another UPS Store further away but I wanted to go back to see if I recognized the guy. I can't imagine they do this to everyone or they'd have bigger problems.

My mother once had a set of antique bedroom furniture stolen out of a storage unit. (She was in the middle of major house renovation and was storing stuff there for a month or so.) Anyway, my husband stopped by an antique mall in a city about two hours away and saw it. (Luckily we had detailed pictures of the set and could prove it was ours.)

We called our local police who got in touch with the police in the city. We met the city police the next day, showed them our pictures, and they accompanied us to the store. I don't know what happened to the antique mall owner but we got our stuff back immediately and did not have to pay for it. The very idea of us having to pay for it is ludicrous - it was stolen! So why did the OP have to pay the pawn store??