Foster Parents - Fur kids

put my foster app in and it's been accepted! :yahoo:
now i just have to do a home visit which will probably happen next week sometime.

one question though, when you all get foster cats - do you quarentine them for a bit? my plan was to initially house it in my 2nd bedroom for a few days (to hopefully stop any happenings of a kitty cold and what not from spreading to my cats) but my cousin might move in with me for a short period of time so that would totally knock out that option to put a foster cat in there for a little while.

however, i'm never good at keeping a cat locked up in a room. i was suppose to keep meeko by himself for about a week when i first got him and i think i lasted like 1.5 days. lol

oh and do you think it would be a good idea to get my cats on a flea treatment right before a foster cat would come? they probably don't need it all the time but again, just a preventative measure for anything that might be brought into my house from the shelter.

I'm getting my first set of fosters TOMORROW!!!! :yahoo:
they have a very high need for kitten fosters so i'm getting a group of kittens :smile:

I'm so excited!!! lots to do tonight to prepare... I've already started cleaning out the room I plan to keep them in at first but need to get it more cleaned out and pick up some other supplies.

YAY! Litters of kittens are so much fun! I can't wait to see pics and hear stories.

I'm getting my first set of fosters TOMORROW!!!! :yahoo:
they have a very high need for kitten fosters so i'm getting a group of kittens :smile:

I'm so excited!!! lots to do tonight to prepare... I've already started cleaning out the room I plan to keep them in at first but need to get it more cleaned out and pick up some other supplies.

A whole group?? Oh my goodness! Good luck and be sure to take lots of pics!!

they didn't exactly tell me how many.... that so that will be a surprise lol
i think i'm getting a group that needs socialization - i wasnt exactly sure what that meant, although i assume that they just need extra attention, getting used to people and lots of love, and when they confirmed that that is what it was i basically said "YES! i can definitely do that!" :biggrin:

my camera will get a workout lol

wish i could pick them up tonight - i knew i should have cleaned that room out last night!

I wish i could find some cheap cat furniture for them to entertain themselves with...i have more than enough cat beds that they can borrow from my cats lol

and endless amount of toys! i knew i bought all those toys for a reason ;)

they will be staying in my 2nd bedroom for awhile. I plan to buy a baby gate and at some point keep that door open so they can see more of the world and maybe interact with my own cats. not quite sure how well the gate will work since they'll probably be able to climb it.... will have to think about that one :thinking:

Forgive me for not reading thru the entire thread for a possible answer on my question---do all groups who use foster homes for dogs and cats check out the home and person carefully? I ask because an in-law is talking about fostering dogs and he doesn't properly care for his own dogs. He's always very short of money nd I'm afraid he sees it as a way to get some cash in his pocket and he would skimp on food and health care for the dogs. My son, who is his brother-in-law ,said he has thought of calling area groups in their city to tell them the guy can't be trusted with animals.

I can't stop thinking about the possibility of someone allowing this jerk to actually have a dog or two in his home. Can you reassure me, please? Do rescue groups carefully vet the possible homes?

Forgive me for not reading thru the entire thread for a possible answer on my question---do all groups who use foster homes for dogs and cats check out the home and person carefully? I ask because an in-law is talking about fostering dogs and he doesn't properly care for his own dogs. He's always very short of money nd I'm afraid he sees it as a way to get some cash in his pocket and he would skimp on food and health care for the dogs. My son, who is his brother-in-law ,said he has thought of calling area groups in their city to tell them the guy can't be trusted with animals.

I can't stop thinking about the possibility of someone allowing this jerk to actually have a dog or two in his home. Can you reassure me, please? Do rescue groups carefully vet the possible homes?

Every rescue group I know (here in the UK) does a very intensive home visit and checks out the prospective foster parent(s) VERY carefully - I recently visited a local Sanctuary with a view to having a small outside pen built in my garden for emergency cases and it took hours to go through everything before they decided they were happy to proceed - and that's with all the rescue work experience I already have!
Hopefully someone like Cindi can put your mind at rest regarding home visits in the US.
And I agree - if all else fails (not that I think it will), a call to the centres in your in-law's area will put a stop to it. I' m sorry for his current dogs and I'm sure you are, too.....

I don't mean to freak you out but it really depends on the rescue. A reputable group willl come and do a home visit and check references, but there are lots of "rescues" that are just people trying to make money on the process. If he is already shady when it comes to his pets then it wouldn't surprise me if he got hooked up with a shady rescue.

for mine i had to fill out an app and list my vet and some personal references. i'm not sure if they called the personal references but i'm fairly sure they did the vet check. they also came and did a home visit. they asked me questions about how i would care for the foster, where it would be kept, different situations....

how does one make money off fostering? the only financial assistance that the shelter provides that i go through is medical assistance for the foster only. if one of my pets gets sick or hurt because of the foster then i'm on my own.
oh and i guess they did give me one bag of kitten food :biggrin:

Depends on the group however if you call one or 2 groups they will put his name on a DO NOT ADOPT list and spread it around. They will never allow him to foster/adopt from any group. My cat rescue does this when needed. What group is giving him cash??? My group provides food, litter and vet care. None of it is given to me in cash and except for vet care I supply the rest myself. They pay the vet directly. I think he is going to be in for a surprise if he thinks this is a good way to make money. I would try to get the name of the rescue he is considering and at least call them. It is very nice of you to try and stop him from neglecting a possible foster dog. Sad that he is neglecting his own.

i agree - i would call them if you know which group he's trying to foster through. if it's a good group they'll ask for references and they should appreciate you calling!

i think sometimes it would be hard for a group to sometimes determine from a house visit if someone is capable of fostering. i know i cleaned up my place a bit. although if someone truly lived in a dump then there's no cleaning that up.

I have fostered many dogs in the past few years. Trust me there is no way to make money fostering! The only way he will have any money coming to him is that he will be reiumbursed for the food that he buys for the foster(s) and he will need to provide receipts. Fosters (at least the groups that I've worked with) are not paid for their time. In fact, I've paid for things that aren't reimbursable, such as having my fosters go out with my dogwalker (I have one dog who is my own who I adopted from Animal Control).

Any vet bills are taken care of by the rescue groups, so he wouldn't have expenses there that he can profit on either. Maybe it's best for him to find out first that this isn't going to be a cash-making endeavor for him.

I don't want to jinx it but I really think Simone has found a home! A very nice woman came over to meet Simone and fell in love. The adoption is tentatively set for Friday. Keep your fingers crossed for Simone. She is such a sweet little lovebug and she really deserves a forever home of her own.