Formula?!

Sep 5, 2006
My daughter has been solely breastfeeding till now (she's 4 months) but unfortunately my milk supply has decreased. What formula are you using? I've been reading nightmares about both organic and regular formula so I'm looking for some feedback. Would love for you guys to share what you give your babies :smile: also anyone give holle formula? TIA!

Alexa5

Nov 2, 2011
First bit of advice, don't do too much reading about it. You can find problems with almost anything if you spend too much time on the internet looking for it :smile:

I had to switch to some formula when my son went to daycare early on, and then within 3 mos was full time with formula for various reasons. I was glad I could breastfeed as long as I could, but I tried not to feel badly about going to formula. Though breastmilk is wonderful, so many kids do just fine with formula.

There are so many different types....it just depends if you find your baby needs a more specialized type (doesn't respond well to regular types). I think we used Similac Sensitive, or something like that...it has been a while, but luckily he didn't need one of the more expensive types.

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
Ditto to what Alexa said. You cannot read too much about formula if you want to keep your sanity. I read everything about every brand, and if you listen to what is being said, there is not one good formula. I am BFing & pumping but trying to give my Son 1 bottle of formula daily for a few reasons. I don't think I make enough milk to keep up with his appetite, especially during cluster feedings and I would like to get his system used to a formula so it's not such a shock if there was an emergency or if I have to switch him to formula when I go back to work.. etc. Plus, if I replace one feeding a day with formula, it allows me to stock some breastmilk in the fridge/ freezer.

I started with organic brands of formula. I got Earth's best and Baby's Only. My best friend (a health food nut case) used Earth's Best for her two boys when she had complications and couldn't breast feed from the get go. They are two of the healthiest kids I know. Strong, active, smart.. Anyway, both brands gave my son gas. I think? I noticed he was uncomfortable on the days that I would introduce a bottle of these formulas. I'm not ready to write them off completely, but I stopped using them for now, because I can't handle seeing him in tummy pain. My friend who just had twins last fall swears by similac sensitive. That is the brand I am trying now. I am not happy with a couple of it's ingredients but like I said, you can look at any formula and find something suspect.

My doctor told me that organic formula was more of a marketing ploy and that organic doesn't mean much when the product is being made in a factory anyway. She said that organic formulas tend to be sweeter, but after my research, Similac Organic is the one that was proven to be overly sweet. My doctor recommends the tried and true brands such as Enfamil & Similac. However, I am considering trying Gerber Good start or something like that if this similac sensitive doesn't work out.

Three days ago I mixed in 1 oz of SS formula into a bottle of breast milk, 2 days ago I gave DS a 2 oz bottle and yesterday he had 2/ 2 oz bottles split up during the day. He normally take 3-4 oz in a feeding, so these 2 oz bottles are just snacks to him. So far so good, I haven't noticed any tummy issues.

Sep 5, 2006
I read the same about similac organic. I read baby's only was good but then they found high traces of arsenic so there went that idea for me. My first child I breast fed for a year so i didn't worry about formula, my 2nd I have him similac, but now that I read these things I'm so confused. I really need to stop reading!

My daughter has been solely breastfeeding till now (she's 4 months) but unfortunately my milk supply has decreased. What formula are you using? I've been reading nightmares about both organic and regular formula so I'm looking for some feedback. Would love for you guys to share what you give your babies :smile: also anyone give holle formula? TIA!
My thoughts are a bit different than previous posters. I'm with La Leche League Germany and can share some knowledge. I will try to keep it short.

First: Low milk supply is easily fixed. I actually dealt with it myself. Fenugreek would be the most natural choice without side effects if added pumping sessions don't help. It can take two weeks to work, but it will increase most women's supply really well. I took 6 capsules of Nature's Way Fenugreek to get the supply back up. Later I was able to decrease to 2, then 1 capsule. I am still taking one capsule a day now for a little extra milk.

If Fenugreek doesn't work, Domperidone and the like can be taken. It is best to speak to your doctor about it.

Formula: I know sometimes there is no other way, but Formula really isn't the best choice. The ingredients can sometimes be quite horrendous and giving something like plain sheep or goat milk is often seen as safer.
There are of course different types of formula, cows milk is made for baby cows, so the hormones tailored to baby cows will be passed on, which can lead to endocrine disorders later in life. The lactose in cows milk is also not very well digested because it is very different from the human form.
Alternatives like Soy and Almond Milk have been under heavy criticism also.
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-soy-formula-even-organic-is-so-dangerous-for-babies/
Both, Almond and soy are also almost nutrient free. Any animal's milk is a better choice actually, even cow's milk. Sheep and goat are often better tolerated than cow's milk though.

Breastfeeding: I know it is often said not to stress, and not to try so hard you get stressed. I wish it was like that. With everything I know, I really can't advise that, I'm sorry. I would fight tooth and nail to breastfeed at least until the child can get adequate nutrients from solid foods. Breastmilk is so important for optimal growth and development. It is far more complex than anyone can imagine It often surprises me that these things aren't taught to mother's, instead they try to scare mothers out of formula feeding by saying "your child will be less intelligent, get sick more often, have crooked teeth..."
I wish good, scientific articles would be offered to mothers, as well as knowledgeable lactation consultants.
The perks for the mother, inside and out are also huge, no one explains that either....(It prevents hormonal imbalances and hormone related problems like premature aging or hair thinning later in life, It reduces the risk of all sorts of cancer, it perks up the breasts as the child slowly weans onto solids etc.)

Sources: I have studied natural science, biology, chemistry and evolutionary science as well as diet to some degree. I also worked for a cosmetic chemicals company (developing cosmetics) and have family that worked for a formula company...I would not trust most companies tbh., especially not the mainstream ones. (the ingredients in cosmetics are horrendous and partly responsible for modern diseases).

I hope this didn't offend anyone, I just can't advise differently, because I have the very best interest of every baby at heart. And I think everyone should hear both sides and be able to make choices based on that.

Of course there are cases where you have to chose the second best, but I think it is important to explain why that should only be an option after everything else was tried.

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
So you think goat & sheep's milk are better? This is from your site linked:

Goat milk, while rich in fat, is not preferable to cows milk because it lacks folic acid and is very low in Vitamin B12. Both of these nutrients are essential to baby’s growth and development.

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
My thoughts are a bit different than previous posters. I'm with La Leche League Germany and can share some knowledge. I will try to keep it short.

First: Low milk supply is easily fixed. I actually dealt with it myself. Fenugreek would be the most natural choice without side effects if added pumping sessions don't help. It can take two weeks to work, but it will increase most women's supply really well. I took 6 capsules of Nature's Way Fenugreek to get the supply back up. Later I was able to decrease to 2, then 1 capsule. I am still taking one capsule a day now for a little extra milk.

If Fenugreek doesn't work, Domperidone and the like can be taken. It is best to speak to your doctor about it.

Formula: I know sometimes there is no other way, but Formula really isn't the best choice. The ingredients can sometimes be quite horrendous and giving something like plain sheep or goat milk is often seen as safer.
There are of course different types of formula, cows milk is made for baby cows, so the hormones tailored to baby cows will be passed on, which can lead to endocrine disorders later in life. The lactose in cows milk is also not very well digested because it is very different from the human form.
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-soy-formula-even-organic-is-so-dangerous-for-babies/
Both, Almond and soy are also almost nutrient free. Any animal's milk is a better choice actually, even cow's milk. Sheep and goat are often better tolerated than cow's milk though.

Breastfeeding: I know it is often said not to stress, and not to try so hard you get stressed. I wish it was like that. With everything I know, I really can't advise that, I'm sorry. I would fight tooth and nail to breastfeed at least until the child can get adequate nutrients from solid foods. Breastmilk is so important for optimal growth and development. It is far more complex than anyone can imagine It often surprises me that these things aren't taught to mother's, instead they try to scare mothers out of formula feeding by saying "your child will be less intelligent, get sick more often, have crooked teeth..."
I wish good, scientific articles would be offered to mothers, as well as knowledgeable lactation consultants.
The perks for the mother, inside and out are also huge, no one explains that either....(It prevents hormonal imbalances and hormone related problems like premature aging or hair thinning later in life, It reduces the risk of all sorts of cancer, it perks up the breasts as the child slowly weans onto solids etc.)

Sources: I have studied natural science, biology, chemistry and evolutionary science as well as diet to some degree. I also worked for a cosmetic chemicals company (developing cosmetics) and have family that worked for a formula company...I would not trust most companies tbh., especially not the mainstream ones. (the ingredients in cosmetics are horrendous and partly responsible for modern diseases).

I hope this didn't offend anyone, I just can't advise differently, because I have the very best interest of every baby at heart. And I think everyone should hear both sides and be able to make choices based on that.

Of course there are cases where you have to chose the second best, but I think it is important to explain why that should only be an option after everything else was tried.
To me, this (the bolded) is just another scare tactic. I appreciate what you're saying and also value breast feeding and hope to do it for as long as I can, but I have yet to see proof of this. Of all the babies, kids & even adults that I know who were formula fed, they are no different than anyone else I know. Health wise, developmentally, etc. Where is the proof that babies fed formula are any different? So far it is all opinions.. and you know what opinions are like. :P

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
I'm considering buying a can of formula for just in case. I really hope I can breastfeed and will try my best to do so, but you just never know until you try. Is it weird that I've had a couple dreams about breastfeeding? So far in all of them he does fine, lol.

I'm a big proponent of natural/organic so I would probably aim for one of those brands first. From what I understand, it's mostly trial and error. All babies do differently on different things, so you kind of just have to try certain things and see what works, which can be annoying.

acrowcounted

Uh oh...
O.G.
Feb 10, 2007

I think OP was asking for formula brand recommendations, not a lecture on breastfeeding superiority.

Alexa5

Nov 2, 2011
Agree with the above. We could go on for hours if this were a discussion of breastfeeding versus formula. Let's just not. I think in an ideal world we would all love to be able to breastfeed long term, but that isn't always possible.

Plus I belong firmly in the camp that I stated earlier...if you read long enough you can find problems with almost anything.

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
Thought this was an interesting article, mostly for people who don't know much about both ways of feeding (like me) and what differences come with it. Helps you figure out how to do formula.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_5-things-you-didnt-know-about-formula-feeding_10357994.bc

Most formula is basically the same

It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the sheer variety of formulas on the grocery store shelf. How do you choose the best one? Many parents are relieved to hear that when it comes to the most important nutrients, all formulas are created equal.
This is because formula is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which requires manufacturers to include 29 specific nutrients in each serving. While different brands have different names, packaging, and prices, none of them will short-change you on the required ingredients.
One ingredient that's not in all formulas is the fatty acid DHA, which some studies have shown can improve cognition and visual processing. It's included in many formulas these days, but not all, so you may want to look for a brand that includes it.
There are, however, many specialized formulas for specific situations. Formulas designed for premature and low-birth-weight babies, for example, contain more calories than the standard types. Formulas for babies with reflux have rice or other thickeners added to it. There are also soy or hydrolyzed formulas for infants with potential allergies or milk protein intolerance.
Parents who prefer to go the organic route can find formulas made with organic ingredients. Organic formulas are subject to the same FDA regulations as other formulas. In addition, they must be certified as organic by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Alexa5

Nov 2, 2011
Bravo. I was formula fed and I'm awesome!
Too funny! I am pretty great myself, and people even tell me that I am smart (despite all of that formula my mother gave me). :smile:

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
Lol. I was formula fed, too. I guess my mom wanted to with me but for some reason she didn't. She didn't even try with my older sister (she had post partum). I always thought she breastfed us until she told me recently we weren't.

Bravo. I was formula fed and I'm awesome! :biggrin:

Elizshop

O.G.
Jan 13, 2009
Low milk supply can be due to a number if reasons and can be adjusted. Sometimes when my period approaches my supply dips. I have 2 kids tge first I only bf for 2 months the other is 2 and I still nurse her 1x a day. There really is no comparison between formula and your milk. Bf is an excellent source if nutrition and adjusts to your babies needs but you know this of course. Try some methods for adjusting your supply it may be easier than u think.