For Vachetta protection, Collonil Carbon Pro vs. Waterstop? Do you recommend Kiwi spray also?

beamsie

May 21, 2020
Hi all! This is my first time posting and I’m on mobile so apologies for any mistakes.

I recently bought my first Louis Vuitton purchase of the Mono Pochette Accessoires! I haven’t gotten to use it yet due to the current pandemic/quarantine, Ive kept it in its dust bag outside of the box for now.

I was initially going to let the patina do its own thing but am considering protecting it with a spray so I don’t have to worry too much about water stains, but I’d also like to not affect the patina process.

Ive been trying to research these spray brands in the title as I’m in Canada and Apple Guard is nearly impossible to get here and so expensive on ebay. What are your opinions and/or experiences with Collonil Carbon Pro? I got a few suggestions to use that, but is there a difference with the Waterstop version? Which of the two would you recommend?

Ive also researched Kiwi but it seems to keep the patina light, which I don’t want to do necessarily. Would appreciate your advice!

Sorry if there’s a couple threads or answers about this question already, and if so please direct me to them! The most research Ive found of these sprays is from a couple years back without any recent updates which is why I’m posting.

Thanks all in advanced!

I bought the Collonil Carbon Pro mostly to prevent colour transfer whereas it seems the water stop is more geared towards water proofing. As a word of caution the carbon pro will darken your vachetta and using it is not for the faint of heart. It will make your vachetta look like it’s been stained with an oil until you let it dry completely. I actually wouldn’t recommend it for new vachetta because new vachetta will likely absorb things more. The mini Pochette has so little vachetta, I would really not be so concerned about it...

Reactions: LVCoffeeAddict
I bought the Collonil Carbon Pro mostly to prevent colour transfer whereas it seems the water stop is more geared towards water proofing. As a word of caution the carbon pro will darken your vachetta and using it is not for the faint of heart. It will make your vachetta look like it’s been stained with an oil until you let it dry completely. I actually wouldn’t recommend it for new vachetta because new vachetta will likely absorb things more. The mini Pochette has so little vachetta, I would really not be so concerned about it...

Thank you for replying!! That’s kinda of disappointing to hear then. Actually it’s the Mono PA not the mini but similar enough, do you think I should just get Apple Guard through ebay?

Thank you for replying!! That’s kinda of disappointing to hear then. Actually it’s the Mono PA not the mini but similar enough, do you think I should just get Apple Guard through ebay?
I did mean mono but my phone corrected it to mini. Regardless, so little vachetta, not worth fussing over IMO :smile: If you get water marks on it, wiping all the vachetta with a damp cloth will help even it out and over time the patina will take over. I've never had a bag which had watermarks so bad they couldn't be removed.

I did mean mono but my phone corrected it to mini. Regardless, so little vachetta, not worth fussing over IMO :smile: If you get water marks on it, wiping all the vachetta with a damp cloth will help even it out and over time the patina will take over. I've never had a bag which had watermarks so bad they couldn't be removed.
Haha oops should’ve guessed, my phone does that too. Thank you again, I originally was just going to go about it without any sprays as it’s my first bag and I want to enjoy it as it is. Maybe down the road with more experience I will decide on using sprays then. I appreciate your input!! :amuse:

Hi all! This is my first time posting and I’m on mobile so apologies for any mistakes.

I recently bought my first Louis Vuitton purchase of the Mono Pochette Accessoires! I haven’t gotten to use it yet due to the current pandemic/quarantine, Ive kept it in its dust bag outside of the box for now.

I was initially going to let the patina do its own thing but am considering protecting it with a spray so I don’t have to worry too much about water stains, but I’d also like to not affect the patina process.

Ive been trying to research these spray brands in the title as I’m in Canada and Apple Guard is nearly impossible to get here and so expensive on ebay. What are your opinions and/or experiences with Collonil Carbon Pro? I got a few suggestions to use that, but is there a difference with the Waterstop version? Which of the two would you recommend?

Ive also researched Kiwi but it seems to keep the patina light, which I don’t want to do necessarily. Would appreciate your advice!

Sorry if there’s a couple threads or answers about this question already, and if so please direct me to them! The most research Ive found of these sprays is from a couple years back without any recent updates which is why I’m posting.

Thanks all in advanced!
Hello dear, I am from Canada as well. I just sprayed my brand new/out of the box Nano Noe with Collonil Carbon Pro. It does takes more time to dry then the Apple Garde. It leaves an oily finish before it dries out but after 24h everything look perfect and the vachetta doesn’t look any darker if I compare to my other new items just out of the box at the same time. (I bought too much during Covid)
It is lot cheaper but the only only is the dry time. Go ahead and protect your vachetta. You’ll worry less and enjoy more you bag! Congrats on your mono pa !

Hello dear, I am from Canada as well. I just sprayed my brand new/out of the box Nano Noe with Collonil Carbon Pro. It does takes more time to dry then the Apple Garde. It leaves an oily finish before it dries out but after 24h everything look perfect and the vachetta doesn’t look any darker if I compare to my other new items just out of the box at the same time. (I bought too much during Covid)
It is lot cheaper but the only only is the dry time. Go ahead and protect your vachetta. You’ll worry less and enjoy more you bag! Congrats on your mono pa !
Oh thank you!! Now I’m rethinking it. If it’s not too much trouble for you would you be so kind as to share some photos of your Nano Noe now? Congrats also :smile: I’ve watched a few videos on it and it seems best applied a few inches away and evenly coated. I don’t mind leaving it to dry also and prefer if I can protect it. Where did you let yours dry, outside in sun/shade or inside away from windows etc?

Edit: Forgot to ask if the colour changes permanently and in your experience does it affect the patina?

Last edited:
I have always sprayed my vachetta with carbon pro, and it works great. Doing several light layers (allowing to dry in between each layer) is better than doing 1 heavy (wet) layer. It will slow down the patina process. I find it will ever so slightly darken the vachetta, but its very slight, not noticeable.

Following as I am in same situation, actually went to buy it off ebay last night then once at checkout says not available in Canada, tried nearly all sellers. I then found it on amazon (77$)and "Ubuy" for 70 $ with shipping..really dont want to spend that much and not sure I want to trust other brands

Following as I am in same situation, actually went to buy it off ebay last night then once at checkout says not available in Canada, tried nearly all sellers. I then found it on amazon (77$)and "Ubuy" for 70 $ with shipping..really dont want to spend that much and not sure I want to trust other brands
I saw that on amazon too. That’s why I’m holding off hearing about others’ opinion on Collonil, at least it’s available here. But I don’t trust the old reviews so I hope this gets more traffic!

Reactions: jaimiestar
I have always sprayed my vachetta with carbon pro, and it works great. Doing several light layers (allowing to dry in between each layer) is better than doing 1 heavy (wet) layer. It will slow down the patina process. I find it will ever so slightly darken the vachetta, but its very slight, not noticeable.
Ah, so it does add a slight tint but also slows the patina?

If it affects the patina that might be a deal breaker for me! As I’ve read that I can at least tend to my vachetta with baby wipes if I need to.

Hi guys, this thread has been super helpful. I’m having the same dilemma, I live in Ireland and we can’t get Apple Guard. Neither have I been able to get the Collinil Carbon Pro and instead I have the Collinil Waterstop.
I haven’t seen any review on the site and was wondering if anybody has experience of using it on virgin vachetta, please? I have a new Pochette Métis in Mono and want to take her out this weekend for my birthday but, as it’s Ireland, you can be guaranteed that it will rain
Any advice appreciated!!

Pics of Carbon Pro! Hope this helps everyone :smile:

Last edited: