For those who uses short handle handbags...

Can you tell me why you like short handle bags vs longer handle that you can carry by the shoulder?
I like usually a tote or a shoulder bag but I would like to try a short handle bag for a change. One thing with them is my hands will not be free and I'm not sure if it will be too inconvenient to carry by hands/elbow?
I need some convincing to try a new style bag lol.

ETA: I like the look of structured bags (short handle with shoulder strap) but right now I'm considering buying a Longchamp short handle bag (but without the shoulder strap which happens to be on sale).

I do have a few short handle bags and I do like to carry them by hand or in the crook of my arm; I think they look rather polished and lend a different look. However, I also MUST have the option of a shoulder strap(s) or crossbody straps. I need to be able to switch to hands free if needed, without much fuss. So, for that reason, I do not find them inconvenient at all. I leave the strap on and hanging when I carry by hand or on my arm, which is a look I also like. I like bags of all kinds the only bags that don't really work for me or call to me anymore are shorter single strap shoulder bags and/or hobos...but that is I think because I got a bit burnt out on them as they used to be almost all I carried.

Wow, great feedbacks on why short handle bags are better and I agree on a lot of points.
For those who love to use short handled bags, what kind of bags do you use when you travel, sightseeing, etc? Do you still stick to short handle or shoulder strap bags?

Depends on how much room I need. I have a few bags to choose from for travel/sightseeing (in no particular order, just depends on room needed and what I feel like), including ones that are just crossbodies without short handles as they are easy and comfortable to use when walking around. But if I want a short handle bag for travel/sightseeing, I prefer my Speedy B 30, and I now also have my Pochette Metis'. For flying on planes, I prefer something like my long-handled LePliage or Speedy B 30 (I want a zipper, so a Neverfull, etc is out) or something non-descript/non-designer, all depending on the type of travel and where.

1. Top-handles are better for your back as you don't involuntarily tense muscles to hold the bag on or clench your arm against the body .
2. Shoulder bags with 2 straps always fall open and then off.
3. X-bodies are excellent but there's a limit as to how big/deep they can be.
4. Double short handles are better for ease of access as you can place the handles apart on your arm and look inside.
5. Most importantly for me. You don't mess-up your nice jackets and coats (which is why I mostly wear shoulder bags in the Summer only).

I would carry a cross-body for sightseeing and wear the strap my jacket or coat.
Everything said here! Dear PT, you can read my mind!

This is me all day. Haha long strap rarely stay on my shoulder. They have to be pretty wide also. They always end up falling off my shoulder and onto the crook of my arm. Or they will only stay on my shoulder if I hold them in place. I typically only go for top handled bags, satchels, or crossbody, and usually my top handle/short handle bags come with a strap I can wear crossbody. I'm only 5'1 so I can manage to wear some bags that are only meant for shoulder wear as crossbody. The only actual shoulder bag I have is my Bandit hobo. It is one of the few bags that will stay on my shoulder ( this is my justification for buying and keeping it).
Agree with both these comments. I prefer structured top handles - but also love a good cross body. I typically don't want my statchels to go crossbody - for me it's one or the other. I thus poo-poo'd the straps on my Rogue initially & went strictly handles. But, I have recently tried the straps & they're nice to have at times. I'm not usually a shoulder bag person as they slide off me as well.

Random side benefit of the top handle to those around me - I tend to use my hands when I talk. A bag on the arm limits my flailing :biggrin:

Reactions: healthysaver
1. Top-handles are better for your back as you don't involuntarily tense muscles to hold the bag on or clench your arm against the body .
2. Shoulder bags with 2 straps always fall open and then off.
3. X-bodies are excellent but there's a limit as to how big/deep they can be.
4. Double short handles are better for ease of access as you can place the handles apart on your arm and look inside.
5. Most importantly for me. You don't mess-up your nice jackets and coats (which is why I mostly wear shoulder bags in the Summer only).

I would carry a cross-body for sightseeing and wear the strap my jacket or coat.
This x1000

It's about weight for me too as to why I prefer crook of arm carry. Shoulder or crossbody bags give me neck and back pain. Having said this though, I prefer shoulder or crossbody carry only for long walks during a tour or something because of the hands free option.

Yes, shoulder bags often end up giving neck/upper back pain if you are a tote-a-lot-o-stuff type. Which I am.
Also, for whatever reason I am only 'at ease' (not having to think about the bag or huck it up farther onto my shoulder, for example, when it is on my right shoulder. Carrying it left shoulder, it's constantly slipping off, getting on my nerves.
So all the weight is always only on the right side and that just can't be healthy.

Finally, if you are very short, bags that are top handle but with uber long handles are sometimes cumbersome. When I am hand carrying at my side (as in, arms down) if the handles are long, the bag bottom is dragging the floor :giggle:
Yeah, that's classy and grown-up. Like I don't already look like a child at five feet! Granted most people won't have that problem...a backpack style would solve this too, but I'm over backpacks.

But the lopsided shoulder strain thing- TOTALLY. I always seek out a bag that has short-to-medium top handles but also an optional long strap. LV Speedy Bandouliere is perfect for this, as is the Dooney & Bourke Brenna, if a less pricey option is wanted.