For Love of Hermes - HK Tatler

archangel

Aug 23, 2006
In the LIFE section of Hong Kong Tatler

"In an auction blending home and fashion accessories dubbed From City Chic to Alpine Retreat, Christie's London put on the block a mix of Rococo silver gilt mirrors, chinese ceramics.... and a collection of 23 crocodile leather kelly bags. But it was a Rouge H Crocodile kelly bag by Hermes that stole the show. It was estimated to realise US$23-25,000 but sold for a surprising US$63,000 to a private European buyer, making history as a world record price realised for an hermes"

The article is accompanied by a picture of a vintage Rouge H Porosus 32cm kelly with gold hardware (no diamonds) in what seems to be pristine condition. It did not say who is the former owner of this bag. But what a huge premium to pay.... talk about an amazing return on investment. I guess the buyer wants that bag real bad!

In the LIFE section of Hong Kong Tatler

"In an auction blending home and fashion accessories dubbed From City Chic to Alpine Retreat, Christie's London put on the block a mix of Rococo silver gilt mirrors, chinese ceramics.... and a collection of 23 crocodile leather kelly bags. But it was a Rouge H Crocodile kelly bag by Hermes that stole the show. It was estimated to realise US$23-25,000 but sold for a surprising US$63,000 to a private European buyer, making history as a world record price realised for an hermes"

The article is accompanied by a picture of a vintage Rouge H Porosus 32cm kelly with gold hardware (no diamonds) in what seems to be pristine condition. It did not say who is the former owner of this bag. But what a huge premium to pay.... talk about an amazing return on investment. I guess the buyer wants that bag real bad!

WOW. If it was my great, grandmother's Kelly, I will rob my husband to acquire it out of sentimental value.

archangel ... I think the buyer did it because of societal posturing. ;)