For all UK shoppers. New consumer law! Including Prada!

NickitaLuvsLV

Apr 18, 2015
Hi everyone.

This is for anyone who plans to go shopping in the UK.
Yesterday I picked up my Saffiano Tote at Westfield Mall.
Today I took it back because there were tons of threads peeping out on the sides of the bag, even before I even got to use it.
I really want to buy this bag, and since it states on Prada receipts in the UK, that only store credit or exhange is the return policy they have, I was fine with it.
I got my store credit, and the plan was to call them on monday when they get the next shipment.
I took it and left.

Then I popped in to another store, who also carry really beautiful Saffiano totes.
And I told them of what happened at Prada as small talk. You know: Oh hi, blablabla
They then informed me, that I actually legally have the right for my money back from any store in the UK.

Apparently there was a class action law suit where tons of people got together and challenged the whole: No returns policy
They won.

So now as a consumer: if your bag has defects, you can get your money back.
Yes, no store credit.
And the law actually states that from November 2015 this law is in effect.
That means, not just Prada, but LV, Hermes, Gucci, anything, you can get your money back.
Even the grocery store..

The new law says: it's illegal for a company to have signs saying no returns.
Yes that's right.

Now, I'm not saying, buy the bag, use it, break it and return it. Because the stores have rights too.
But if you buy something and use it, and it falls apart on you within a certain amount of time, you can go back.
The sooner the better of course. And it's always best to inspect the bag with the modern day iPhone flashlight on everything before you start your new life with it anyways. It just might be easier on yourself you know?

I also did some more research online, and it's actually true.
So from now on. When you buy your luxury goods, feel good that you have the law on your side. No more manning up for "the talk" with the sales associates.

I also decided to put the new law to the test.
So I went back. And. I got my money back. I'm not saying I'm still not going back to actually buy the bag, because I still want it.
But it's good to know that I have my money back, and I can start all over, with my "new" freshly returned hard earned money.

Enjoy and be well. And spread the word!
:woohoo::yahoo::tup::tup:

Last edited:
I doubt the cc company would protect u since u sign the receipt thus acknowledging their return policy - anyone out there in the USA ever get a full refund for a return at a prada boutique??

I would love to know also! My experience has been to buy from Neiman Marcus. They took a prada bag back and gave me a full refund. I had the bag for 3 months and the glazing was cracking. I used the bag in rotation with quite a few other bags, so basically it was barely used. But this was from online Neiman Marcus. If you buy from a Prada boutique in Neiman Marcus they also will not refund anything.

I would love to know also! My experience has been to buy from Neiman Marcus. They took a prada bag back and gave me a full refund. I had the bag for 3 months and the glazing was cracking. I used the bag in rotation with quite a few other bags, so basically it was barely used. But this was from online Neiman Marcus. If you buy from a Prada boutique in Neiman Marcus they also will not refund anything.

I just purchased my first Prada (I am an LV girl) and I bought from Neiman's online. Glad I did in case I have an issue!

Here are the new UK consumer rights explained by BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34410782

Yaaaaassssssssss!!!

(And by the way, I meant to write October not November. Meaning, did you buy something after 1st of October and it's falling apart?
Now you know what to do!)

pps: remember that not all SA's are aware of this new law. So we don't have to be all "hey look idiot" this law doesn't exempt us from being respectful. Howeeeever. Should the SA give you an attitude, breathe, calm down, ask for the manager and give them the phone number given in the article, so that they can kindly be informed, and they will probably be told to educate their SA's. Thanks for reading!

Muah! May the law be with you

Last edited: