Food Inc. is a must-see!!

plumaplomb

O.G.
Dec 10, 2008
I just saw this over the weekend and can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can buy a few copies and loan them out to people to get the word spread regarding our food industry. For example:

-Every burger you eat has meat that comes from a thousand cows.
-All beef in the US is processed in THIRTEEN factories.
-Chickens have been genetically modified to have much larger breasts than their legs can actually support.
-Cows are fed corn instead of grass to cut costs, since corn is heavily subsidized. Corn is cheaper to buy than to grow. It's in everything.
-One word: Monsanto.

Please watch this movie if it is playing in theatres near you! If not, please watch out for the DVD, and rent it!! We are consumers; we "vote" everytime we go through checkout at the grocery store.

I know I'm bumping an old thread but I just saw this tonight and it was so good! It did seem heavily based on Fast Food Nation, but that's one of my favorite books so I can't complain. The section on diabetes was shocking.

I wish they had talked about about the growing problem not grocery stores moving further outside urban cores and making it harder for lower income people to access them (meaning the do their grocery shopping at small markets and convenience stores) and I really wish they had studies Whole Foods- whether the farms they buy from really are better, whether it's worth the extra money etc.

BUT all in all, very interesting and worth seeing. I actually think everyone should be forced to watch it, just so everyone can have access to the same information.

Has anyone else seen this lately?

I'm bumping this super old thread too, since I saw the movie over the weekend and cannot reccommend it enough!! People NEED to know where their food is coming from and what's in it. I've read Fast Food Nation so I knew some of it already, but so many times I was just sitting there in shock, disgust and disbelief. You need to see this movie!

I realize this is a really old thread, but I'm bumping it to see if there is anyone else out there who has watched it? I watched the film in class today, and I have to say I was expecting something more. It kind of let me down, it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know and didn't really change my opinions on anything, and was all around kind of boring. So has anyone else seen this? What did you all think?

I saw Food Inc. about a year ago and it absolutely changed my life. I don't care how filthy the conditions are, but the way they treat animals before and during the slaughter is so gruesome, cruel and just something I do not want to have anything to do with. It really decreased my happiness by 30% because I was an Atkins eater. I so miss Steak, Sausage Pizza, cheese omelets....ugh!!!! During the holidays, I eat whatever I want, but because I have been off meat for about a year, I get really bad stomach aches when I eat meat. Still.....steak, cheeseburgers....I miss you.

If you think that is bad, you should see the anti-fur films made by PETA of the dogs in Asia being massacred...so so disturbing.

I've heard about it but couldn't watch it. I'd be a blubbering mess the whole time. :crybaby:

I do think we all need to be more aware of what we eat and where it comes from. I was raw/vegan for over a year, went back to the SAD diet, and am now slowly trying to go back to being vegan and just eating more whole, raw foods.

There are always going to be those people that criticize everything you do because almost everything we come into contact with does contain animals products of some sort. But small steps are better than no steps, so controlling what I eat is what's working for me right now.

I love animals more than almost anything, and the plight of the majority of animals in the world just saddens me.