Workplace Following up with "I'll take your resume for right now"?

pr1nc355

Orange Pyramid
O.G.
May 24, 2006
I've been at my current job for 5 years. I'm looking to leave it for a better one, but I'm not itching to do it right now. I mean, great if it happens, but it's not a must-leave-right-now situation. There's only one other place I would be willing to leave my current job for immediately.

I finally took the first step and contacted the manager at the one other place. He told me to send in my resume, which I did. He basically said thanks for your interest, but alas, there are no job openings at this time. He ended his last message by saying he'll contact me when he's "ready to take the next step". We've communicated by email only, so I couldn't get a sense of how he was feeling about me or my resume.

My question is if I should truly wait until he contacts me or if I should wait some time and then contact him if I hear nothing. I was thinking of waiting about a month or so, then emailing him just to check on the job opening situation if I heard nothing. Does that sound as if I'd be pestering him? Or should I play it cool and wait for him to contact me (sort of like dating? LOL)?

may be wait like 3 months instead of a month...i used to do that and i think i sent him my resume with holiday greetings/july 4/happy labor day sort of notes. he was my supervisor previously so i just kept in touch with him.
most ppl understand that...

Funny how there was a thread recently posted about comparing looking for a job with dating. I was just going through it =)

^^Great idea. I could wait 3 months. I'm not in a hurry to leave my current job anyway. However, I don't know the manager at all. If I email him again, should I just totally leave out the question of whether or not there are job openings? I'm just wondering how it'll sound if I write him an email just asking him how he's doing.

You could build a professional friendship with him...and send him email and attach your resume. Since its the company you want to work in....it's no harm to keep in touch with him.

Do you have LinkedIn? Try to network there...I had a couple of random ppl sent me their resumes...you can try to see who else work in that company and add them to your network.

I think 3 months is an appropriate time. I would follow up with something to tell him, other then "just checking". Maybe something that re-expresses your interest in the company, and also an update of accomplishments since you last sent your resume.

I'd also be prepared for crickets though. Sometimes "I'll contact you when I'm ready for the next step" is another way of saying "Don't call us, we'll call you." Sorry, I hope I'm wrong though!

^^The manager didn't give me a definite yes or no, so I'm choosing to be optimistic and think that, as long as he didn't say no, they're still interested. However, it could actually be true that as much as they may want to hire me (or anyone else), they just can't. Luckily, I have a job right now and I'm not in a situation where I really want to or have to leave right now. I think I'll wait 3 months to write to the manager again. I'm sure I can think of something to write by that time, but hopefully, I won't have to =) It's also possible I may find another company.

I'm not on Linkedin. I've heard that suggestion before, but I'm reluctant to do Facebook, and I don't know if Linkedin is the same kind of thing.

^^The manager didn't give me a definite yes or no, so I'm choosing to be optimistic and think that, as long as he didn't say no, they're still interested. However, it could actually be true that as much as they may want to hire me (or anyone else), they just can't. Luckily, I have a job right now and I'm not in a situation where I really want to or have to leave right now. I think I'll wait 3 months to write to the manager again. I'm sure I can think of something to write by that time, but hopefully, I won't have to =) It's also possible I may find another company.

I'm not on Linkedin. I've heard that suggestion before, but I'm reluctant to do Facebook, and I don't know if Linkedin is the same kind of thing.

Linkedin is totally different from Facebook. Linkedin is really more for professional contacts; you don't "interact" with them like you do with your "friends" on Facebook.

Linkedin is more about your professional "public" persona, like a public resume. I feel pretty safe on it. (I'm not ready to "tell all" on Facebook either.) Just post info that it's OK for the world to know. Last time I checked, no one could post comments on your profile without your permission.

LinkedIn is a good way to stay connected with people you meet who may know about job opportunities. You can post one tiny professional pic of your face (or not), then connect with everyone you've worked with and you're good to go.

linkedln is a completely professional network...no one is gonna create drama there. or at least i haven't witnessed one. i know someone got her job thru linkedln...so it's totally worth to have your resume up there.

my boss is 'forcing' me to create a linkedin profile so that i can help post stuff to our company's group page. i'm sure i could tell her to buzz off if i wanted since i know she can't legally make me create a social networking profile.

however i think it's really funny that she thinks shes forcing me to do it since it's a place for people to network for jobs LOL. you really want your employee to sign up for this site?? well ok then.

i was going to be a butt about it and only put up limited info, including my name cause i knew that would irritate her. but now im' going to go all out and put so much info out there in hopes that i do find a new job. however i tried to do it today and it's telling me i'm temporarily restricted =/

juneping said:
linkedln is a completely professional network...no one is gonna create drama there. or at least i haven't witnessed one. i know someone got her job thru linkedln...so it's totally worth to have your resume up there.

This isn't entirely true. I've had to report people for some pretty disgusting posts before, especially near the US election time.

But in general it is useful.

my boss is 'forcing' me to create a linkedin profile so that i can help post stuff to our company's group page. i'm sure i could tell her to buzz off if i wanted since i know she can't legally make me create a social networking profile.

however i think it's really funny that she thinks shes forcing me to do it since it's a place for people to network for jobs LOL. you really want your employee to sign up for this site?? well ok then.

i was going to be a butt about it and only put up limited info, including my name cause i knew that would irritate her. but now im' going to go all out and put so much info out there in hopes that i do find a new job. however i tried to do it today and it's telling me i'm temporarily restricted =/

Good. No sense in cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Good. No sense in cutting off your nose to spite your face.

apparently i already did though since linkedin won't let me back in after i was only in my account for 5 min after setting it up lol

which i think is hilarious cause my boss said i MUST have it set up and join the company group by sometime this week. so i'm waiting for her to ask me if ive done it yet so i can tell her linkedin doesn't want me lol

I understand your boss' interest to be present on Linked In from a company standpoint to post relevant information on the company, your industry etc.

Many professionals take this type of networking seriously and actively engage in useful and informative discussions shared there daily. I belong to several LI groups in my professional field, and have posted and shared industry information, participated in discussions, reference research/white papers/blog posts etc. in my client work.

It's unfortunate that you're not seeing the benefits of LI for you and your employer, and taking this responsibility seriously. Perhaps if you told your boss it's not something you see value in then she could assign the task to someone else who would represent your employer and its industry more professionally.