Fluffing down parkas

Junke

Jan 14, 2011
Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with fluffing a down coat that has never been washed. I recently splurged and bought a very expensive parka but the Canadian store sent it in a tiny little box, which means the down has been condensed for about a week while it was coming to the US. If anyone could give me advice on how to safely bring volume into my down, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with fluffing a down coat that has never been washed. I recently splurged and bought a very expensive parka but the Canadian store sent it in a tiny little box, which means the down has been condensed for about a week while it was coming to the US. If anyone could give me advice on how to safely bring volume into my down, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

You can usually just give it a few good shakes and it will fluff up. Years ago we used to put down parkas in a dryer set on low with no heat and a tennis ball to fluff them up. But I've heard that shaking works just as well.

Reactions: Junke
In addition to a good shake, hang the coat on a hanger, then gently hit it all over it with a plastic coat hanger (no metal or wood). This should help fluff it up. If that doesn’t work to your satisfaction, call the customer service number for the manufacturer of your coat for advice. Good luck!

Reactions: Junke