Flowers and their meanings

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I know this is sort of random, but I am trying to buy flowers for someone who just bought a new home. I thought yellow would be the correct color scheme, but some websites also say it represents jealousy!

Anyway, it got me thinking about flowers and their different meanings (color and flower type.) We all know that red roses usually represent love, but when it comes to other types of flowers and colors, I get a little lost.

I have looked at some websites but some of them are actually contradictory and list entirely different meanings.

I know some of you will think that flowers are just that- flowers, and that there is no need to look deeper into their meaning.

Just curious if any of you associate certain flowers with various meanings.

2. I always thought yellow meant friendship!! I'm sure that she won't think "That b!tch sent me a jealousy bouquet!!" Lol, I'm pretty sure that most people associate yellow flowers with friendship :smile:

3. :roflmfao:

Exactly.

I'm sure you'll be fine. It sounds like a wonderful gesture, IMO.

4. Yellow means friendship. I think you should get her a colorful boutique,a bit of everything. It would fit the occasion.

5. ive also heard white roses meant pure, also true love.

6. It depends...on things such as culture, country, etc. For example, some places white flowers express purity and chastity while in other places it represents mourning and death. Some colors have multiple meanings too. Yellow sounds good as it generally means friendship and joy...so I think it's good to go with that.

7. LOL! I think you are right.

Thanks for all of the tips everyone-- I think I'll go ahead and order a yellow/colorful flower arrangement. :smile:

8. I've also heard yellow is for jealousy, but also frindship. It all dpends on th context, and in a bouquet it's not as significant as a single flower.

Here, a bouquet of white roses would be associated with funerals though...

9. #9 Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    i took a floral design class while in high school and the one flower that has always stuck with me is the calla lily, it is the flower of death.

** i just looked it up and there are so many different meanings for it...but i remember that is how it was categorized for the class...hmmm

10. I've never heard of the whole yellow=jealousy thing :confused1:
    Sounds like a load of crap to me (no offense)!

To me, red symbolizes passion or love and white is what you'd give to someone in mourning. Everything else is sort of fair game IMO.

11. how about a house plant? cant really go wrong with that =)

12. ^Very true as well.

I think it depends on the occasion as some said. I love white roses but if I were to get one from BF I know that it wouldn't mean he's mourning....unless he was that is....anyways. Just go with yellow or house plant lol.

13. I think it is cultural. I've also heard that yellow signifies jealousy!

14. found a better page...nevermind.....see below.

15. • Red Roses: Red roses say, "I love you." Red roses are the ultimate symbol of romantic love and enduring passion. Florists can't keep up with the Valentines Day demand for red roses, which makes them especially expensive in February.
    • Pale Pink Roses: Pale pink roses imply grace, gentleness, and joy.
    • Light Pink Roses: Light pink roses express a sense of fun, happiness, and whimsy.
    • Deep Pink Roses: Deep pink roses say, "Thank you."
    • Lilac Roses: Lilac roses indicate the sender has fallen in love at first sight with the recipient and is enchanted. (To make sure the recipient doesn’t miss the message, an appropriate card might also be a good idea. The meaning of lilac roses isn’t as widely-known as the meaning of red roses, for instance.)
    • White Roses: Pure white roses symbolize truth and innocence. They also send other messages like, "I miss you," and "You're heavenly” (or both, if your loved one is away.)
    • Coral Roses: Coral roses express one thing through their passionate color: Desire.
    • Peach Roses: Peach roses signify appreciation, gratitude, modesty, and also can convey sympathy.
    • Orange Roses: Orange roses communicate enthusiasm, desire, and fascination on the part of the sender.
    • Yellow Roses: Yellow roses indicate friendship and freedom ― so don't send them if your intentions are romantic and long-lasting. Yellow roses are also appropriate for sending congratulations to newlyweds, graduates, and new mothers.
    • Dead Roses: Regardless of the original color, dead roses say "It's over," loud, clear, and in a tacky and less than classy way.
    Combining Colors
    Put two or more colors of roses together, and a new rose meaning arises:
    • White Roses + Yellow Roses: A symbol of harmony.
    • Red Roses + Yellow Roses: A message of happiness and celebration.
    • Red Roses + White Roses: An indication of bonding and harmony.
    Other Rose Symbolism
    These are acceptable ways to convey a meaning giving roses:
    • 12 Roses: Gratitude. Any bouquet in full bloom also implies the “full flowering” of the emotion being conveyed: a bouquet of red roses in full bloom implies the full flowering of love.
    • 24 Roses: Congratulations
    • 48 Roses: Unconditional love.
    • Single Red Rose: "I love you," (but I'm not going to go broke telling you.) A single red rose in a bud vase is a great way to surprise and charm a loved one.
    • Single Rose of Any Color: "Thank you," (and I'm still not going to go broke saying so.)
    • Two Roses Entwined: An engagement or marriage is in the near future.