Florentine Virgin looking for her first bag.

LittleLucy

O.G.
Apr 22, 2008
Hello,
I would love any advice you can give on which bag I should purchase! First I would like to say I feel like I "know" a lot of you here because I have been reading every post there is about the florentine leather and styles!

I remember when the florentine first came out I picked up a bag in Macy's and thought "way too heavy for me". But since they have come out over the years with smaller styles I hope to finally own one of my own!

This is what I know I want….A bag in the color natural. I love that it will darken and have a patina! I really want a bag that I could carry for years and that ages and looks loved! (if that makes sense)

I need a bag on the smaller side.

I need bag that is a timeless look.

I am thinking about the Mini florentine, small stanwich , or the Bristol (not sure if this is too big for me)

I do not have a outlet near me or many good department stores, I live in the boonies.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I really would appreciate it. Sorry if this post is rambling on!

Hi and welcome! I think your choices are all good ones. The Florentine in the Stanwich is a little thinner and lighter and has a little bit less structure. It's a great bag if you like that contrast between the dark trim and light natural. The Bristol, even though it's a little bigger of a bag, I don't believe it's that much heavier. It's also made wight the thinner lighter florentine. I don't own it but I've heard others say it's got less structure and feels a little thinner. It is also a nice design with some nice functional features like a nice wide opening and an outside slip pocket perfect for most phones. I think one of the common complaints of the mini Flo satchel and small Stanwich is the small opening.

I've never seen the Small Stanwich at any stores or the outlet, only on QVC and Dooney.com. You can sometimes find the mini satchel at the outlet and the natural color is usually 30% off. The Bristol is also at the outlets at 30% off in the natural color. If you don't live near one, you can call one of them and see if any of these bags are shipable. It's $7.50 for shipping. The bristol is also usually at department stores, so if you're concerned about the size and weight, you can at least go see it in person to see if it works for you.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide and please share when you finally have your new bag. :smile: thanks

Hi and welcome! Your post reminded me of my first post :smile:
So, you are ready to fall in love with FLO's.

I own small, double pocket, medium pocket. I would suggest the small flo, instead of the mini. Mini is a really small bag, so it will depend on your personal taste. Bristol is also small/medium to me, taller then the small flo. Small flo also has thicker leather, compared to Bristol. To make your decision harder, think about the medium pocket bag. It is really nicely structured, very pretty, easy access to your stuff inside. Twoboyz made some awesome points.

I dont own the Stanwich, so i dont have any input on that.

Which ever one you pick, you will love it, Im sure.

Hi and welcome! I think your choices are all good ones. The Florentine in the Stanwich is a little thinner and lighter and has a little bit less structure. It's a great bag if you like that contrast between the dark trim and light natural. The Bristol, even though it's a little bigger of a bag, I don't believe it's that much heavier. It's also made wight the thinner lighter florentine. I don't own it but I've heard others say it's got less structure and feels a little thinner. It is also a nice design with some nice functional features like a nice wide opening and an outside slip pocket perfect for most phones. I think one of the common complaints of the mini Flo satchel and small Stanwich is the small opening.

I've never seen the Small Stanwich at any stores or the outlet, only on QVC and Dooney.com. You can sometimes find the mini satchel at the outlet and the natural color is usually 30% off. The Bristol is also at the outlets at 30% off in the natural color. If you don't live near one, you can call one of them and see if any of these bags are shipable. It's $7.50 for shipping. The bristol is also usually at department stores, so if you're concerned about the size and weight, you can at least go see it in person to see if it works for you.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide and please share when you finally have your new bag. :smile: thanks

Thank you so much Twoboyz for replying and your input!! I did not know the Bristol was a little thinner and had less structure, that is a pro for me! I like it because of the opening and pocket on the outside, although a little bigger than I would like. I like the mini flo for the slouchy look but the opening looks like a pain to get into, and I like the Stanwich for the two tone and more pliable looking leather.

Argh….decisions….decisions, I am driving myself crazy! But I love the "hunt"!

Hello!

So ask yourself, how do I need this bag to function? What is my general style? Do You gravitate towards structured or slouchy bags?

I think the style you go back to over and over again will give you a good idea which direction to go. Last year I purchased the florentine satchel in navy (the 13" size) and the Stanwich satchel in natural with T-moro trim. Both bags have a smallish (is that a word?) opening. The florentine leather is a bit thicker/heavier.

I buy almost 100% leather bags, but I have found myself carrying the one and only fabric cabriolet bag that I have. Hmmm! The reason is the style. When I am running around doing errands, the bag is a domed satchel with a zip-zip top. Out of the 30 or so Dooney bags I have had over the years, this one is the most functional. I have a formula which seems to work best for me. It is a 13" satchel with a zipper opening.

Back to the question of color. The natural is on the light side. You can carry the bag four seasons (IMHO). The dark contrast of the trim makes it work in the cooler months. The natural darkens slightly, but not a ton. If I was buying one bag out of the ones you mentioned, I think either the Stanwich satchel would be a bit lighter in weight and the natural would carry you through the year. The Bristol is a bag I have on my wish list. It is going to replace my standard black zip-zip. The chestnut could work all year round, if you don't mind a darker bag in the warmer months.

You could buy both, compare and send one back, if the budget would allow for this kind of comparison shopping. What matters the most to you? Weight of the bag? How easy it is to get to your wallet, phone ect during the day? Style?

Make sure you check the prices at the outlets before you purchase. Keep watching PF for a heads up from members about good deals. If you are not in a hurry, many F&F sales will come up in November, along with the Dooney sales around the holidays.

Thank you so much Twoboyz for replying and your input!! I did not know the Bristol was a little thinner and had less structure, that is a pro for me! I like it because of the opening and pocket on the outside, although a little bigger than I would like. I like the mini flo for the slouchy look but the opening looks like a pain to get into, and I like the Stanwich for the two tone and more pliable looking leather.

Argh….decisions….decisions, I am driving myself crazy! But I love the "hunt"!

Something to think about also, usually the bigger the Flo satchel, the bigger the slouch. The mini is probably the most structured of all of the sizes. I agree with Nebo that the mini is really small and the opening is hard to deal with. It all depends in what you carry though. I have moments if crazy myself everyday when I think about my wish list. Good luck.

Hi and welcome! Your post reminded me of my first post :smile:
So, you are ready to fall in love with FLO's.

I own small, double pocket, medium pocket. I would suggest the small flo, instead of the mini. Mini is a really small bag, so it will depend on your personal taste. Bristol is also small/medium to me, taller then the small flo. Small flo also has thicker leather, compared to Bristol. To make your decision harder, think about the medium pocket bag. It is really nicely structured, very pretty, easy access to your stuff inside. Twoboyz made some awesome points.

I dont own the Stanwich, so i dont have any input on that.

Which ever one you pick, you will love it, Im sure.

Thank you Nebo, yes I am ready to join the Flo club! You are making my decisions harder with your input!!! But in a good way! Thank you so much!

I consider myself a "small/medium" bag girl. I have the mini Flo and she holds everything I need on a daily basis EXCEPT my ipad mini. If I put the mini in then something has to go. I also had a small stanwich (Toledo leather, technically NOT a stanwich, but the exact same style and size). Believe it or not I think the opening is smaller on the small stan. But I think that's due to the Stanwich tapering at the top. I also own the regular sized Stanwich in baby pink. She holds everything. All of my daily items, and the mini, and anything else I feel the need to carry. She is slouchy and lazy lol but still a gorgeous, lighter weight bag that wears perfectly by handles, strap or crossbody

Hello!

So ask yourself, how do I need this bag to function? What is my general style? Do You gravitate towards structured or slouchy bags?

I think the style you go back to over and over again will give you a good idea which direction to go. Last year I purchased the florentine satchel in navy (the 13" size) and the Stanwich satchel in natural with T-moro trim. Both bags have a smallish (is that a word?) opening. The florentine leather is a bit thicker/heavier.

I buy almost 100% leather bags, but I have found myself carrying the one and only fabric cabriolet bag that I have. Hmmm! The reason is the style. When I am running around doing errands, the bag is a domed satchel with a zip-zip top. Out of the 30 or so Dooney bags I have had over the years, this one is the most functional. I have a formula which seems to work best for me. It is a 13" satchel with a zipper opening.

Back to the question of color. The natural is on the light side. You can carry the bag four seasons (IMHO). The dark contrast of the trim makes it work in the cooler months. The natural darkens slightly, but not a ton. If I was buying one bag out of the ones you mentioned, I think either the Stanwich satchel would be a bit lighter in weight and the natural would carry you through the year. The Bristol is a bag I have on my wish list. It is going to replace my standard black zip-zip. The chestnut could work all year round, if you don't mind a darker bag in the warmer months.

You could buy both, compare and send one back, if the budget would allow for this kind of comparison shopping. What matters the most to you? Weight of the bag? How easy it is to get to your wallet, phone ect during the day? Style?

Make sure you check the prices at the outlets before you purchase. Keep watching PF for a heads up from members about good deals. If you are not in a hurry, many F&F sales will come up in November, along with the Dooney sales around the holidays.

Thank you G.Allyn for the great advice!

I consider myself a "small/medium" bag girl. I have the mini Flo and she holds everything I need on a daily basis EXCEPT my ipad mini. If I put the mini in then something has to go. I also had a small stanwich (Toledo leather, technically NOT a stanwich, but the exact same style and size). Believe it or not I think the opening is smaller on the small stan. But I think that's due to the Stanwich tapering at the top. I also own the regular sized Stanwich in baby pink. She holds everything. All of my daily items, and the mini, and anything else I feel the need to carry. She is slouchy and lazy lol but still a gorgeous, lighter weight bag that wears perfectly by handles, strap or crossbody

Thank you Gilmoregirl, your description of the Stanwich sounds perfect, slouchy, lazy but gorgeous:smile: