Florentine satchel water marks :(

Cas01509

Aug 27, 2018
Hello, I have a Florentine satchel in natural and everything was great but someone accidentally drop water on my bag and not it has stains I can't remove. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to remove the water stains? Thank you!

Reactions: BaguetteBlonde
Hello, I have a Florentine satchel in natural and everything was great but someone accidentally drop water on my bag and not it has stains I can't remove. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to remove the water stains? Thank you!
I am so sorry about this. I know how heart wrenching it must be. I would call Dooney and ask them. I know they have tried to remove color transfer from bags as a service for customers. If everything fails they do offer a buy back policy, regardless of the condition of the bag, in which they offer 50% of the retail value towards a new purchase.

Good luck! I hope your issue is resolved to your liking

Reactions: Cas01509

Leave it dry thoroughly and it might disappear, the spot I got on mine did.

Reactions: Cas01509

The only thing I can suggest is rubbing the leather with a soft, clean, white cloth using a circular motion. This will help bring up the oils in the leather and as you widen the area it might soften the difference in the look of the leather between the water spot and the surrounding area. Rubbing with a soft cloth in a circular motion on natural Florentine will darken the leather, so it looks like it has aged and developed a patina. The larger the area you cover (up to and including the entire handbag) helps mask the look of spots. This technique does
not involve using any products, just a clean, dry white cloth. I use an old wash cloth or dish towel or a micro fiber cloth.

Some people use conditioners on their Florentine leathers. I don't until the bags are older, just in case there is a problem, I don't want to be heartbroken staining a new handbag. Dooney does not recommend using any conditioners or cleaners on Florentine leather. But any product you use on natural Florentine will darken the color of the leather and if not very carefully applied, it can result in a spotty or streaky appearance.

Good luck.

I carried my Florentine Bucket Bag today and got caught in a downpour. My bag was drenched. Once it completely dried, there were no water spots. I knew rain was in the forecast, so I sprayed the entire bag with AppleGuard Rain & Stain Repellent (which I use on all of my designer bags). I know many ladies are afraid to put anything such as spray on their bags, but I’ve been doing it for years and it works for me, even no water spots on the vachetta of other bags. So, hopefully the water will disappear once your bag is completely dry.

Reactions: Lunalark
I fixed mine! I know this thread is old, but I came here looking for help because the same thing happened to me. I had a new natural Florentine satchel, and within a month I got three little water drops on the front of my bag. I’d washed my hands, thought they were dry, but had a bit of water on my wrist..sigh. Anyway.. I tried letting it dry, buffing with soft dry cloth, and rubbing the area with a slightly damp rag using distilled water like Dooney suggests. Nothing worked. The distilled water evaporated beautifully, but the spots were still there. Well, since owning the bag, I remembered how easily it scratches, and how the scratches leave a mark lighter than the bag, but buff out nicely with my fingertip. So yes... I took a key, and VERY LIGHTLY scratched at one of the spots. It made that spot lighter. I then rubbed, and just like that the spot was gone. I did the same thing to the other dark water spots, and it worked. I can’t see any water spots now, and I can’t even tell where I scratched. It all rubbed out perfectly. I don’t know if this would work on a different color, and I don’t think I’d be as brave on a larger surface area, but this is just what worked on a few small spots on my natural Florentine satchel.

Wow, I'm glad you were able to 'fix' your bag. I don't know why it would work....
but .... it if solved the problem... it's great.
It's so easy to get water spots when using a handbag.

If you get a shammy cloth from the dollar store to rub the spot it works a bit better because it's so absorbent. Since the stain is fresh you can also sprinkle some aztec clay or any brand of bentonite clay on the spot and let it sit overnight. You need to make sure the stain area is dried to the touch before doing this so it doesn't get muddy.
Brush it off with a soft dry brush or cloth.
If it's still there dab some100 proof vodka or a bit of rubbing alcohol on it, rub gently around the edges.
My suggestion after doing this, clean your whole bag thoroughly with a good quality cleaner then a coat of cadillac or leather honey conditioner and finish with some bickmore heavy duty leather preserver. Let it dry thoroughly before the bickmore.
Your bag will be resistant to almost anything and completely water proof after that.

After the water spots dry completely you can try to buff them out with a dry soft, white cloth,
using circular motions. It won't eliminate the stains, but will help to even out the color
so the spots are less obvious.

Reactions: Lunalark