Floral blanket bag - Corner color chipping?

Fignewton

Jul 3, 2015
Hi! Loooong time reader, first time poster - if this was covered elsewhere please let me know! I was wondering if any of you have seen/experienced this kind of wear on your Bal bags...particularly ones that have graphic prints on them...

Is this normal wear and tear for these kinds of bags/prints? Or is it a print issue?

Some background: I've used this bag maybe 10 times since I bought it over the summer. Probably a total of 20 hours of use all told, mainly carrying my phone, wallet and like hand sanitizer inside (not overstuffed etc). I'm very gentle with my bags and carried this one carefully.

Used the Balenciaga nourishing cream on it the other day and was horrified to see that the paint (or whatever the printing is) on the top two inner corners of the bag seemed to peel off the second I (gently!) rubbed in the cream. Never seen this happen with any of my lambskin city bags.

The paint color on the handles has cracked and chipped off too, but since the leather underneath is yellow, it's not that big a deal... I'd previously asked the Bal store repair expert about the handles and she told me that nobody has ever complained about the blanket bags, so I don't know what to think about the bag corner chipping/peeling.

Any thoughts you all have would be appreciated! I definitely regret buying this bag for a multitude of design/ease of use reasons, but now I wonder if Bal bags with printed designs are just way too delicate and not worth buying in the future...

IMG_1892.JPG IMG_1893.JPG

I don't have any of my own, but i've seen and touched a few of them, I would guess they are film printed, and most probably that's what you see chipping/peeling off.
if the bag is stored unstuffed and maybe squeezed between other bags in the closet, I believe this could cause printed film cracks and peeling off.
did you buy it from Bal store? maybe they can fix for you?

Thanks for the response, @ksuromax!
Film printing, hadn't heard that term before...very interesting! Bag definitely wasn't squished in storage (left out on a table by its lonesome), but it wasn't stuffed. Oops. I figured the dustbag would be enough to protect the bag!

Bought it at Barneys, but wound up bringing it back to the Bal store since all Barneys does is send the bag to them anyway... The Bal repair expert thought it was natural wear and tear, but also thought it was strange because nobody else had complained about that issue either, especially since it only occurred after I used the nourishing cream. They're sending the bag in to see what can be done...likely fix is to just repaint the areas that have chipped/peeled off they said. It's probably going to look odd, but que sera, sera. At least it wouldn't be white cracks anymore? Think I'll stick with the traditional designs going forward though...this bag is a hard lesson in design over function for me. Haha.

Thanks for the response, @ksuromax!
Film printing, hadn't heard that term before...very interesting! Bag definitely wasn't squished in storage (left out on a table by its lonesome), but it wasn't stuffed. Oops. I figured the dustbag would be enough to protect the bag!

Bought it at Barneys, but wound up bringing it back to the Bal store since all Barneys does is send the bag to them anyway... The Bal repair expert thought it was natural wear and tear, but also thought it was strange because nobody else had complained about that issue either, especially since it only occurred after I used the nourishing cream. They're sending the bag in to see what can be done...likely fix is to just repaint the areas that have chipped/peeled off they said. It's probably going to look odd, but que sera, sera. At least it wouldn't be white cracks anymore? Think I'll stick with the traditional designs going forward though...this bag is a hard lesson in design over function for me. Haha.
:biggrin: well, that's my 'term' :P when a print is done on a thin film which is placed on top of the leather and not the leather itself, so technically it's likely to start peeling off if it gets cracked
I am glad that they can help you, and will hope you'll get it back in pristine condition! keep us posted! :smile:

Reactions: Fignewton