Flo Satchel Rolled or square bottom?

D

Deleted 730019

What do people prefer? I know that they have changed the bottom of the satchels now it's kind of a rectangle pad instead of the rolled bottom? Here is my old school one. Pros and cons?

1611852672683744656521607167958.jpg

PF: in the 'old days', the rounded bottom was the standard and only the few Florentine bags made in
the USA had the rectangular bottom. There were a few other differences also in trim. Now, all the
Florentine satchels have the rectangular bottom.

The rounded bottom tends to sag, so I guess I'd say I prefer the rectangular bottom.
However, the belting goes all the way around the rounded bottom, and on the rectangular
bottom the belting stops at the base and restarts on the back of the bag. I do like the
belting that goes all the way around. So, I guess, each one has pros and cons.

Thank you so much! I was hoping you would answer! I figured you'd know! Makes sense...I do like the belting all the way around. I can see the slouch thing happening...didn't notice that with the rectangular bottom. Thx

Thank you so much! I was hoping you would answer! I figured you'd know! Makes sense...I do like the belting all the way around. I can see the slouch thing happening...didn't notice that with the rectangular bottom. Thx
If you use a purse organizer with a firm bottom, you can minimize the slouch. But.... with the smaller
Flo satchels an organizer really takes up a lot of real estate. In the larger 'medium' satchel,
you have plenty of room..... if the slouch bothers you.

There are also things called 'base shapers' made for some high end luxury bags.
I've never looked into these, but it sounds like they would do the job also. And there is also
a do it yourself solution.... a piece of cardboard (covered in your choice of fabric).

On the other hand, the slouch is often an appreciated feature.... it shows the beauty of the
leather and also helps the bag conform to your hip or body if you wear it on the shoulder or
cross body. So, the slouch is not necessarily a bad thing. And some even prefer the softer
look to the boxy more structured handbag look. :smile:)))

Good topic! As I have just got into the Florentine satchel bags, I noticed this difference, too. I now have two small satchels. One in Black/Black with the rolled bottom and one in Natural with the square bottom. I can honestly say I don’t have a preference. Both are lovely. I don’t see a lot of slouch with the rolled bottom and I like how the bag molds to my body. The flat bottom, however, also molds nicely, too, even with the flat bottom. I have tried an organizer in both bags, but prefer the look of the bags without. Both bags, of course, have the bottom feet. But, one pro of the flat bottom bag is the bottom of the bag stays completely off the surface whereas the rolled bottom bag does touch the surface a tad, especially on the corners.

Good topic! As I have just got into the Florentine satchel bags, I noticed this difference, too. I now have two small satchels. One in Black/Black with the rolled bottom and one in Natural with the square bottom. I can honestly say I don’t have a preference. Both are lovely. I don’t see a lot of slouch with the rolled bottom and I like how the bag molds to my body. The flat bottom, however, also molds nicely, too, even with the flat bottom. I have tried an organizer in both bags, but prefer the look of the bags without. Both bags, of course, have the bottom feet. But, one pro of the flat bottom bag is the bottom of the bag stays completely off the surface whereas the rolled bottom bag does touch the surface a tad, especially on the corners.
Nana: good point about the bottom surface and the effectiveness of the feet.

Very good point. I use a sturdy purse organizer now as it eliminates the slouch so the purse is protected more on the bottom. I do love the way the rounded body does mold to my side without the purse organizer. It's such a versatile bag, lately I have been wearing it on my arms..next month it may be a cross body. I only have one with the rectangle base...my other 4 are rounded. Tried the small size...didn't work for me...opening to small...kept one small tho...denim color...too pretty

Very good point. I use a sturdy purse organizer now as it eliminates the slouch so the purse is protected more on the bottom. I do love the way the rounded body does mold to my side without the purse organizer. It's such a versatile bag, lately I have been wearing it on my arms..next month it may be a cross body. I only have one with the rectangle base...my other 4 are rounded. Tried the small size...didn't work for me...opening to small...kept one small tho...denim color...too pretty
Is your satchel the large? If yes... do you have a link for which organizer? I have a burgundy Large Florentine satchel with rolled bottom as well.