Flex & Shanice - OWN Network

Sassys

Please get some Common Sense
O.G.
May 14, 2006
It’s been a while since we last song “I Love You Smile” singer Shanice and her equally talented husband, Flex Alexander (One on One). Aside from the occasional appearance at television and music awards, or odd cameo on reality shows like Braxton Family Values or Tamar & Vince, we really don’t know much of what these two are up to — until now. That’s right, ladies and gents. Shanice and Flex are coming to TV in a one-hour reality special.
So what can we expect from the upcoming show, Flex & Shanice, airing on OWN? Well, a lot of people, that’s for sure!

According to the press release, these two have faced “career stumbling blocks and quickly hit financial rock bottom.” When Shanice and Flex saw they were not equipped to continue a super luxurious lifestyle, they packed up their two kids, 12-year-old Imani and 10-year-old Elijah, and moved into a rental home with their extended family in tow. With a total of nine people in their busy home, including Shanice’s “momager” Crystal, we can only imagine the shenanigans that will take place as cameras roll.

But don’t expect too much of a sob story. Flex is booking some gigs and has comedian, actress, and fellow OWN star Kym Whitley as a mentor, while Shanice is getting back into the studio. And of course, we can expect some drama to be had — especially when mama Crystal hears a bit of gossip claiming her to be the center of her daughter’s career woes. But will reaching out to former producer Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds provide Shanice with any help?

“It’s hard being a broke celebrity,” Shanice reveals in the sneak peek below.
http://www.wetpaint.com/urban/articles/2014-05-16-shanice-flex-alexander-coming-with

Flex & Shanice premieres on Saturday, May 31, at 10 p.m. ET on OWN

True love is always tested when the checks stop coming in and the bills start backing up.

Flex Alexander and his wife Shanice were sitting on top of the world with a hit show and Grammy nominations, but after a few years, life got real for the couple and the fame and money started to fade. You may remember that Flex created and starred in UPN’s One On One and Shanice’s 1991 hit song “Smile” was number one in over 20 countries, but when the show was canceled and there weren’t anymore chart topping hits, the money dried up and they had to move in with Shanice’s parents.

Still, the couple have stayed together and have been married for over 14 years throughout the storm, and they are now starring in a new reality show titled, Flex & Shanice: All In The Family on the OWN Network. This week, the couple stopped by Good Day L.A. to talk about their new show, while admitting that reality TV wasn’t their first choice but they needed the check. They also revealed that they hope the show will not only entertain people, but it will be a lesson that all that glitters ain’t gold, and it can all be taken from you in a minute.

Catch the highlights:

On the show
Flex: It is basically looking into what we’ve gone through financially. Not by craziness. We didn’t do anything extravagant. Just the perils of making money in the business and then it stops [but the bills keep coming].[...]The jobs slowed down, the economy hit, and it was just an up and down time.

My wife is very frugal. I think for me it was a lesson learned because I was never raised or taught how to balance, juggle, how to really take care of it.[...]I’m learning from her.

On how they made it through being broke
Shanice: It was tough. Lots of tears.

Flex: You’re still in the industry. You’re still in the business. You’re going to events. It’s like, ‘Man, gotta make sure we’ve got this money for valet.’

On moving in with her family
Shanice: Yep. My mom, my stepdad, my uncle, his cousin Ed, my cousin…yeah. Our kids and our dog.

Flex: It’s three generations plus a dog. Everybody is their own individual character which you’ll see.[...] It all balances out because they’re super helpful with the kids. We all jump in to cook, we all jump in with bills.

On doing reality TV
Flex: I think it’s lessons to be learned. It wasn’t like, let’s do the show because we need money. We talked about it.

Shanice: Because for years he wouldn’t do a reality show. During our hardest times he said, ‘No, I don’t want to do it.’

Flex: If you’re an actor and you do that, I feel like it’s reality and it’s not going to work, but media has changed. Everything has changed.

Read more: Necole *****ie.com: Flex Alexander & Shanice Dish On Going Broke & New Own Reality Show http://necolebitchie.com/2014/05/fl...ing-broke-new-own-reality-show/#ixzz3323hEyyq

Going to pass on this. Show is just to damn fake. Normally the first season of a reality show is real, then it gets fake. Guess this family was a bit to boring, so they had to do fake things.

Why does every black family have that one gay cousin that wants the world to think they are straight??

I will watch. Shanice has/had a beautiful voice. But I believe she was blackballed by the industry due to her mother. I guess we will find out more once the show airs.

Spill the tea! I always wondered what happened to her as her voice was awesome and she had a few hit singles too. I figured she just left the industry to focus on school/college.

Spill the tea! I always wondered what happened to her as her voice was awesome and she had a few hit singles too. I figured she just left the industry to focus on school/college.

No tea. Just that I know his cousin. He said this years ago. The mother pissed off Clive Davis and the rest is history. I didn't see the connection but I guess after watching this show she was signed to LaFace and that was a part of Arista and that was Clive's company.

It's wack though because when father's take control of their children's careers they get respect. Or men in general. Women get branded the *****, crazy, difficult, etc.

They ran that same game on Brandy and Usher's moms. But not Beyonce. And her father was notoriously shady.

I guess Shanice's problem is that she was never operating from a position of strength. I don't know one song of hers beyond I Love Your Smile.

JMO.

Going to pass on this. Show is just to damn fake. Normally the first season of a reality show is real, then it gets fake. Guess this family was a bit to boring, so they had to do fake things.

Why does every black family have that one gay cousin that wants the world to think they are straight??

Perfect description. I was thinking the same thing while watching. :huh:

No tea. Just that I know his cousin. He said this years ago. The mother pissed off Clive Davis and the rest is history. I didn't see the connection but I guess after watching this show she was signed to LaFace and that was a part of Arista and that was Clive's company.

It's wack though because when father's take control of their children's careers they get respect. Or men in general. Women get branded the *****, crazy, difficult, etc.

They ran that same game on Brandy and Usher's moms. But not Beyonce. And her father was notoriously shady.

I guess Shanice's problem is that she was never operating from a position of strength. I don't know one song of hers beyond I Love Your Smile.

JMO.

I see and thank you for sharing that. :smile:

I forgot to watch. Seems I didn't miss much. I've always liked Flex and Shanice. I knew the money was running low when I saw Flex in a Verizon commercial as an extra. I didn't know that Flex created the show One on One. I wonder how it all went down with him leaving the last few seasons. Was he forced out, bought out?? Anyways, I wish them well on the road to financial recovery. Hopefully the show can drum up some gigs.

The show was mighty boring and didn't even seem authentic... I couldn't watch the whole episode.

Yes! He reminds me of the young man from Sweetie Pies (I think his name is James).