Travel Flat Iron for Europe?

missisa07

O.G.
Jun 1, 2007
I'm not sure if this should have gone in the beauty subforum, but here goes:

This is going to sound so dumb and superficial but... I'm going back to Europe hopefully at the end of May for a month. Flat ironing my hair is a HUGE part of my daily routine, because my natural hair is really thick and curly and horrible. I would not leave the house without straightening my hair.

Among the places I'm going to are England, Sweden, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Amsterdam, Austria.

EGAR_EB_MAP_US_08.jpg

We're going on a tour with Trafalgar, so our itinerary is pretty much set.

Right now I use a Sedu Ionic Ceramic Flat Iron built for the US. If I buy those energy converter plugs, will my flat iron work in Europe? I heard somewhere that it's not recommended to use a flat iron with the volt converters because they might cause the iron to burn out. :tdown:

There are Sedu flat irons with plug types C (can be used in Sweden, Italy, Germany), E (Belgium, France), and G (Great Britain). I can't buy three separate flat irons to be used throughout Europe.

Have any of you had experience bringing US flat irons to Europe and using the volt converters? Did you have any problems?

It seems so trivial, I know, but honestly being without my flat iron would totally KILL my trip.

Thanks in advance for any help! :sweatdrop:

I'm not sure what a trafalgar tour is, but what I would do is just buy a flat iron made for EU voltage once I arrived in my first destination. The plug type is really something you cant avoid though and you can usually buy them on the plane (again, I'm not sure what a trafalgar tour is). I mean I live in Cyprus and even when I visit Athens I need to take a plug converter (not a voltage converter just a plug converter).
PS I don't think you're being superficial at all...it's something I sort out before we go on our trips too. :smile:

i would've suggested to just buy this converter thingy, never heard of burning out. :wtf:

i'm in the opposite position, europe -> and i've always just used the converter for the blow dryer, phone etc.

when you're worried, can't you just buy a 'european' flat iron in the us?

I went on a month long Europe trip and used a converter for my flat iron. It worked great for about 3 weeks and then for some reason it just burnt out! This was in France, but it had worked in Italy fine. Anyways, I just ended up buying another one in Spain for about $50 and it worked really well. I also had brough one to South Africa a couple years before and it worked with a converter for about a week and then burnt out, so again, I just picked one up there. The good thing was that it worked again when I got home. If your iron is really expensive, I would leave it at home, and just pick one up over there, it's not worth risking it.

I can't live without my flat-iron so I completely understand!

I agree with the others that you should just buy a new flat-iron when you arrive in London and buy some plug adaptors for the other countries you're visiting.

Because I've lived in a few different countries, I now own 2 flat irons - one I can use here in the US and in Canada. And my other one I can use in Europe and Australia (with different plugs, of course).

I once tried the power convertor thingy with an old flat iron but it only worked a few times and one day it crackled and fizzled and died. :S Not worth it.

I wouldn't chance it!!!!! I used some budget cheap convertor with my laptop in Sweden and I swear I saw smoke! I ended up buying a new European plug for it. I would just buy a new one in London. Maybe you can order one over the internet and have it delivered before you leave?

I tried to use my flat iron in Italy and it would not get hot at all.

Towards the end of the trip my hair was in a ponytail everyday. It kinda sucked, but there wasn't much I could do.

I'm not sure if this should have gone in the beauty subforum, but here goes:

This is going to sound so dumb and superficial but... I'm going back to Europe hopefully at the end of May for a month. Flat ironing my hair is a HUGE part of my daily routine, because my natural hair is really thick and curly and horrible. I would not leave the house without straightening my hair.

Among the places I'm going to are England, Sweden, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Amsterdam, Austria.

EGAR_EB_MAP_US_08.jpg

We're going on a tour with Trafalgar, so our itinerary is pretty much set.

Right now I use a Sedu Ionic Ceramic Flat Iron built for the US. If I buy those energy converter plugs, will my flat iron work in Europe? I heard somewhere that it's not recommended to use a flat iron with the volt converters because they might cause the iron to burn out. :tdown:

There are Sedu flat irons with plug types C (can be used in Sweden, Italy, Germany), E (Belgium, France), and G (Great Britain). I can't buy three separate flat irons to be used throughout Europe.

Have any of you had experience bringing US flat irons to Europe and using the volt converters? Did you have any problems?

It seems so trivial, I know, but honestly being without my flat iron would totally KILL my trip.

Thanks in advance for any help! :sweatdrop:

The GHD MK4 flatiron. It automatically coverts to the voltage for europe and you don't have to set it. It changes automatically. The iron is a wee bit expensive but it works wonders!

I've got a GHD too (bought in Ireland). I didn't think I could use it here in the States! I've been using the Chi I bought when I lived in Canada, but I much prefer the GHD!

ETA...damn...my GHD is older then the newer dual voltage model.

To the OP, this is the perfect solution to your problem and the GHD rocks!!!! :smile:

Thanks everyone for your tips! I really don't want to burn out my flat iron. I'm going to look into that GHD... Sounds really interesting!

Vivicy, Trafalgar is a company that makes set tours with itineraries. So basically I'm going on a group tour of Europe. :yes:

Thanks again guys! Any more info would be greatly appreciated (even if it's not about flat irons).

EDIT: I'm getting the GHD MKIV!!! Thanks so much guys for tipping me off. I'm getting the pink one from Sephora. How exactly does the "universal voltage" work? Do I still need adapters of some sort? Does it come with plug adapters? I tried looking for specs on the GHD website and Sephora's website and I couldn't find details of how it works.