Flat Clutch Owners: Please Chime In!

TejasMama

O.G.
Mar 29, 2007
Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to decide if a flat clutch would fit into my lifestyle enough to warrant the purchase. My kids are older now so I can use one and I like the idea of keeping it in a tote and carrying it when I only need my wallet/keys/gum/phone/earbuds, etc.

I also have to be careful regarding how heavy my bags are (due to back problems after having twins years ago) and I felt a clutch might help alleviate that in some situations.

How often do you use it and in what situations?

Is it comfortable to carry since it has a strap or can it be cumbersome?

Can you fit a bal money wallet inside?

Would love to hear from flat clutch owners about your lifestyle, when you use them, pros, cons and everything in between. Thank you!:smile:

Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to decide if a flat clutch would fit into my lifestyle enough to warrant the purchase. My kids are older now so I can use one and I like the idea of keeping it in a tote and carrying it when I only need my wallet/keys/gum/phone/earbuds, etc.

I also have to be careful regarding how heavy my bags are (due to back problems after having twins years ago) and I felt a clutch might help alleviate that in some situations.

How often do you use it and in what situations?

Is it comfortable to carry since it has a strap or can it be cumbersome?

Can you fit a bal money wallet inside?

Would love to hear from flat clutch owners about your lifestyle, when you use them, pros, cons and everything in between. Thank you!:smile:

Hello! The flat clutch/giant handle is large enough to hold a money wallet inside. I can put my wallet, coin purse, tissue and 2 mobile phones. Sometimes, I even squeeze in my ipad mini! In terms of weight, I would say those RH or mini giant hardware would not add much additional weight. However, those with giant hardware really do add significant weight, esp. if you want to use the clutch inside a bag. But, in terms of aesthetics, the giant ones are really prettier and more outstanding! The strap does come in handy esp. when you are shopping and ur hands are full, but to hold the strap for the whole day may be rather tiring - esp. when ur clutch is fully loaded - it is really heavy!

My 2 cents' worth! Hope it helps u decide!
P/s : I owe both the giant hardware and mini giant hardware clutches.

Thank you, blinkie, for responding. Your comments really do help. I agree that the strap all day would be a problem so I would probably would just use it for errands and days when I don't have to carry too much.

Does anyone put the clutch inside a larger tote and just take it out at times? I often carry a tote with my work stuff/kid stuff/etc. I just hate carting it with me everywhere I go!

I've noticed that a few listings for flat clutches (and envelopes) state being a second owner. I wonder-- does this mean that some have realized that the clutch really didn't work in their lifestyle or is it this particular design? Is it difficult to carry? Anyone find that buying one turned out to be a mistake?

I love mine, but that's because i've been wanting one for years.

I agree that it's definitely not something you could replace a bag with. Though I try to carry mine to dinners, concerts, movies and just running quick errands. I however do not like it hanging from the strap. Im short and it falls too low on me and would only have it hanging like that for a short time, certainly wouldnt carry it like that. I carry it with the strap on my wrist and I hold the bottom of the clutch or slide the strap on my upper arm and carry it between my body and elbows.

Eeek sorry for the long winded explaination.

I dont put things in it and put it in a bag though. To me I feel like it would add more weight to the bag id be putting it in. I also have issues with things getting scratched up inside my bag and dont want the corners of the clutch to get rubbed or go darker (depending on the colour of course). Though i've noticed a few people do this, one person here said that she wanted to buy one to put in her bag so she could just take the clutch out, carry it out to lunch without lugging a big bag.

I have about 9 clutches and I love them. I like having the handle so I could hang it on the back of a chair in a restaurant. I carry one inside my Day bag everyday and take it out when I need to go to a different building or to lunch. I have used my Coq clutch this way for several months now, corners are still perfect, no scratches anywhere, only the hardware is showing more gold around edges, which gives it antique look. I usually hold the bottom of the clutch with strap around my wrist so that I don't drop it. It can easily hold a full size Bal wallet, sunglasses, keys, small umbrella, cell phone and some makeup. I posted my clutch collection on page 157 of Purchased from ******? http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...here-pictures-inside-part-2-a-608116-157.html
Good luck with your decision!

I have both the envelope and the handle. I have to say I love my handle a lot more. It is roomier and it is bigger than you think. It gets annoying once in awhile when I have too much stuff in there and wish I could convert it to a crossbody bag. hehehehe If you're not planning to carry too much, the flath clutch is PERFECT.

I have about 9 clutches and I love them. I like having the handle so I could hang it on the back of a chair in a restaurant. I carry one inside my Day bag everyday and take it out when I need to go to a different building or to lunch. I have used my Coq clutch this way for several months now, corners are still perfect, no scratches anywhere, only the hardware is showing more gold around edges, which gives it antique look. I usually hold the bottom of the clutch with strap around my wrist so that I don't drop it. It can easily hold a full size Bal wallet, sunglasses, keys, small umbrella, cell phone and some makeup. I posted my clutch collection on page 157 of Purchased from ******? http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...here-pictures-inside-part-2-a-608116-157.html
Good luck with your decision!

I love the photos of your clutches! It's nice to hear from someone that can use the flat clutch on a regular basis. I think I can see a use for them--my concern is making sure I would use it enough to justify owning one. I only have a couple inexpensive ones for the occasional outing but this style seems suited to carry what I need to take with me daily. Glad to hear that your coq clutch has held up so well. I have a GT Day and it seems very hardwearing to me--the corners look great and the leather is not at all dry or thin. I'm considering either a GT or Bleu Mineral flat clutch.

I have both the envelope and the handle. I have to say I love my handle a lot more. It is roomier and it is bigger than you think. It gets annoying once in awhile when I have too much stuff in there and wish I could convert it to a crossbody bag. hehehehe If you're not planning to carry too much, the flath clutch is PERFECT.

I love the envelope's look because it is so polished and sophisticated but the lack of a strap is what keeps me from considering it. And I agree-I wish Bal would consider offering straps--at least for year-round colors--for bags such as the FC, Velo, City, etc, so we can use them as crossbody styles.

Contrary to some 's claims that it ruins the aesthetics, I think it would show an understanding that women who love quality bags also have busy lives and a bit of practical insight applied (such as offering straps and rings on the sides of bags for attaching) just makes customers more loyal.

I love the envelope's look because it is so polished and sophisticated but the lack of a strap is what keeps me from considering it. And I agree-I wish Bal would consider offering straps--at least for year-round colors--for bags such as the FC, Velo, City, etc, so we can use them as crossbody styles.

Contrary to some 's claims that it ruins the aesthetics, I think it would show an understanding that women who love quality bags also have busy lives and a bit of practical insight applied (such as offering straps and rings on the sides of bags for attaching) just makes customers more loyal.

I took my Handle to a cobbler and got a quote to add a ring so I can make it to a crossbody. He wanted 50 bucks which is not a lot considering how much more I would use it as a crossbody. I haven't decided if I want to do it. I really like the Handle. It is the cutest clutch I have. I use it all the time. You should get it and join the club :smile:. I also have the HIP. You may want to look at that one if you really want it to have a strap. I use my HIP a lot more since it is more "PRACTICAL".

I took my Handle to a cobbler and got a quote to add a ring so I can make it to a crossbody. He wanted 50 bucks which is not a lot considering how much more I would use it as a crossbody. I haven't decided if I want to do it. I really like the Handle. It is the cutest clutch I have. I use it all the time. You should get it and join the club :smile:. I also have the HIP. You may want to look at that one if you really want it to have a strap. I use my HIP a lot more since it is more "PRACTICAL".

Hi Pong,

I have looked at the hip and it is adorable but I would need the room of the flat clutch. I do like the idea of having a cobbler add a strap if I got a wild hair and really felt I needed a messenger option. I would probably use a messenger more than a clutch based on what I carry and what my days look like. Sometimes I have the intention of only needing a few things, but as the day goes on, I end up wishing I had more of my 'regular' items. Erica does have a few cute ones right now...

Here is my flat clutch:
DSC_1995_zpse884ac63.jpg

DSC_1987_zpse1c3749c.jpg

Thank you so much for posting these pictures...PinkPeonies--your clutch with your tennis shoes are just an adorable combination. How are you liking the clutch so far?

JustPeachy--love the gris tarmac! Your photos look fashion blog ready. Do you find it pretty comfortable to carry? How often do you two ladies use them? In what circumstances?

Modeling pics help so much so thank you for sharing these.