Flaking interior - can this be fixed?

Dingaling1987

Jul 26, 2015
IMG_1483112449.250782.jpg

I'm very tempted to bid on this gorgeous vintage Bally on Ebay, but the interior of the bag is flaking as in the photo.

I've tried asking a few purse cleaning / repair shops if this could be fixed, but all of them replied something along the lines of 'we'll need you to bring the bag in before we can do an assessment and give you a quote'.

Any idea if there's anything that can be done to stop the flaking and smooth out the material? I'm ok with the existing patches but I don't think I can live with the flaking becoming worse.

View attachment 3560799

I'm very tempted to bid on this gorgeous vintage Bally on Ebay, but the interior of the bag is flaking as in the photo.

I've tried asking a few purse cleaning / repair shops if this could be fixed, but all of them replied something along the lines of 'we'll need you to bring the bag in before we can do an assessment and give you a quote'.

Any idea if there's anything that can be done to stop the flaking and smooth out the material? I'm ok with the existing patches but I don't think I can live with the flaking becoming worse.

um... i am guessing this is due to humidity ? Because my bathroom is next to my wardrobe where my bags are and sometimes I can see some moulds building up on some of my jackets that I need to wash them. I normally put a dehumidifer (like a box with little white beads that absorb moisture). Otherwise I would think of the leather gets old and lost moisture from the surface??

Or is it due to the fact that there is no leather conditioner applied to the bag?? I want to know more about this too because I have some designer bags and some I hardly use but I want to keep them for a long time.

View attachment 3560799

If it were me, I'd pass. Is the lining leather or a synthetic? It appears synthetic to me. Agreed that it is a moisture problem, and once the flaking begins, it will continue. The bag can be relined, but that is usually an expensive proposition.

Personally I wouldn't buy a purse in that condition. It could be leather, since I don't think Bally would use synthetic? Regardless it looks like it would get worse, similar to the insides of shoes (I have shoes that peel on the insides and there's no way for me to fix that to my knowledge).

It seems to me that the lining in your bag is made of a synthetic leather. I'm afraid that there is nothing you can do with flaking surface. The only suggestion is to find a good craftsman in your area and replace the entire lining on a new one..