Fixing an old item

May 3, 2020
Is there a way to fix this purse to its original color? The purse was brought in the 2000s and was used briefly. The staining is from the interior of black leather and faux cheap black handbags.

I did briefly try to clean with just some damp cloth, but I didn’t rub too hard as I was scared I would lose the original color and print. Can I fix it myself or take it to someone to restore, restoration place. I don’t expect Dior to fix it as it is very old and the purse wasn’t very carefully cared for.

Or is this a lost cause and needs to be thrown away?

B4B33DD4-64CC-46D2-8392-D6345D765FC5.jpeg

Is there a way to fix this purse to its original color? The purse was brought in the 2000s and was used briefly. The staining is from the interior of black leather and faux cheap black handbags.

I did briefly try to clean with just some damp cloth, but I didn’t rub too hard as I was scared I would lose the original color and print. Can I fix it myself or take it to someone to restore, restoration place. I don’t expect Dior to fix it as it is very old and the purse wasn’t very carefully cared for.

Or is this a lost cause and needs to be thrown away?

View attachment 4867164
Unfortunately, not much can be done in this case. It's not a lost cause, since it still looks functional. However, if you don't like the look of it, then you can always stain the canvas black or just donate it.

Reactions: Minimalist_Chic
There was a lady on YouTube who had a bag in this colour, she put it in the washing machine. Haha not sure if I would be that adventurous, but if this was my wallet, I would use an old soft toothbrush, take out some gentle baby soap and bicarbonate soda, and start cleaning the wallet.

You can retouch the leather paint easily as well. Not much to lose really by diy cleaning, and it’s not worth while to send it to a professional as it’s very readily available in be vintage market.

Reactions: Minimalist_Chic