first vs. city??

hey there! i am 5' 2" & have the city - the proportion looks great on most body types/sizes i've seen. it fits alot & it incredibly light for a bag it's size. i have the calcaire (a pale pinky ivory) that i love love love but i do have to be careful about the handles as they do have a tendency to get dirty. i did get a handle "proctectant" that has helped alot in keeping dirt at bay. i am about to get a first for my 40th bday, so i feel your dilemma. enjoy your new bag - whichever way you go!

I think it depends on how much you carry around everyday- do u carry alot of stuff ie are you using it to go to college? will you be putting your notepad/laptop/makeup/ipod/water/sunglasses in the bag?

I reckon the first will only be big enough to carry your essentials and your school stuff will have to go into a separate bag. The city will be a better option if you intend to carry more stuff with you..

^ I agree! It really does depend on how much you carry. I've had both the First and the City and personally, I prefer the First:heart: I carry a money wallet, 2 CPs and sunglasses. It fits perfectly in my First and then some. But if I still need a bigger bag, I go for my Twiggy. I use all my bags for daytime and night time.

I don't know why but I never cared for the City - I know it's a classic and the most popular but I've had several Cities before only to sell them again:sad: I find that you can carry as much in the Twiggy and I find it easier to put over my shoulder.

I know it's no help but I think the best way to find out is to try the styles yourself and see which you like more;)

thank you everyone for all your advice!
I ended up stopping by holts yesterday and am deciding between a white city and a beautiful ruby red first. The white city was beautiful, and if i got the city i would definitely want it in that color, but I just think its going to be very impractical. The red first on the other hand I think would be perfect for my needs. I'm not looking for a bag to use for books and my laptop at college (its SO snowy in montreal and the university floors where people put their bags down are always filthy in the winter time, so I dont risk wearing any really nice bags to class). And if I;m not wearing the bag to class the first fits all of my daytime and nightttime needs plus some. I could fit my giant wallet, blackberry, camera, makeup bag AND a sweater into it! So yeah, I think I'm going to go back today and buy the ruby first. I had heard bad things about the agneau leather but this bag was GORGEOUS!
I'll post pics soon!

I would say the City as well. Try not to judge the size by how it looks brand new. A brand new City will look much larger than it will after a month of use. As the leather softens and slouches, it actually looks like a totally different bag, as well as much smaller.

White will tend to look larger...so I'd stay away from that or the light, pale colors. Get something dark and bright, so that you can carry it daily and still get that cheerful pop of color. JMHO. :P

Any suggestions of "dark and bright colors" to be?

The City sounds like a better all-rounder Bbag. I don't own a First but I have two Cities. My Tabac City is softer and now slightly smaller than it was. The Teal City is breaking in slowly but surely. If I want a smaller Bbag I have my Anthra Twiggy, which is great. You might find yourself being drawn to a purple shade. The colour can be unexpectedly neutral, striking and practical all at the same time.

OK so i broke down and bought the ruby first today! The leather and the color are GORGEOUS and i can't believe how much fits in it! I can't wait to wear it out tomorrow night! I'll post pics as soon as I find my camera charger...