First VCA piece - could use some advice!

traumamama

May 19, 2016
Hi!
I am planning on purchasing a Vintage Alhambra pendant for my very first VCA piece and would love some input from all of you VCA veterans :smile:

I am deciding between the following two pieces-the all rose gold and the rose gold grey MOP.

I would like to wear this as a daily piece. I do work in a hospital (in surgery specifically), and although I’m not wearing any jewelry in the hospital at the moment due to Covid, I will want to wear this at the hospital once this is “over”. How delicate is the grey MOP? The SA said it’s fine if it gets splashed occasionally, and that the only real thing is to not shower with it, but I’ve heard conflicting accounts. My concern with the solid rose gold pendant is if it will be too “basic” and not stand out so much? I would love to hear all you experts’ pros and cons!

Unfortunately I am not near a boutique so will be purchasing via an SA over the phone. Any photos of either piece would be greatly appreciated- I searched the forum and haven’t found too many photos of the all rose gold vintage pendant... so modeling pics would be great if anyone could share :smile:

Thank you so much!
739C23E7-95F8-4985-AB44-3A179C57524E.png442FBBCF-640A-4038-BF68-92A57F38F153.png

Reactions: hhw
I went through the same dilemma as you did and chose the gray mop mainly because I really liked how much the colors changed with the gray mop. I also had to buy over the phone as well since the boutique near me isn’t open.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either one honestly. If you like to wear your jewelry and not take it off rose gold is the better choice. That’s usually what I do, but I have already have an all rose gold necklace already so I though the gray mop would be a nice addition for my first VCA. I am thinking, though of the rose gold Alhambra bracelet since I work in a clinic and need to wash my hands all the time!

Reactions: traumamama
It’s going to be tough decision as you never know which one to choise until you’ll try it on. I was sure that I’d get all rose gold, but once I tried it on, I was disappointed as it blends in with my skin tone. GMOP is beautiful, but there are so many variations of hues that photos won’t catch. Another perk of in-store purchase is that you can see right away if you want any length alterations (and if yes, you can ask them to ship it to you).

Hi!
I am planning on purchasing a Vintage Alhambra pendant for my very first VCA piece and would love some input from all of you VCA veterans :smile:

I am deciding between the following two pieces-the all rose gold and the rose gold grey MOP.

I would like to wear this as a daily piece. I do work in a hospital (in surgery specifically), and although I’m not wearing any jewelry in the hospital at the moment due to Covid, I will want to wear this at the hospital once this is “over”. How delicate is the grey MOP? The SA said it’s fine if it gets splashed occasionally, and that the only real thing is to not shower with it, but I’ve heard conflicting accounts. My concern with the solid rose gold pendant is if it will be too “basic” and not stand out so much? I would love to hear all you experts’ pros and cons!

Unfortunately I am not near a boutique so will be purchasing via an SA over the phone. Any photos of either piece would be greatly appreciated- I searched the forum and haven’t found too many photos of the all rose gold vintage pendant... so modeling pics would be great if anyone could share :smile:

Thank you so much!
View attachment 4784394View attachment 4784395
Given your situation of working in a medical facility, and wanting to be able to clean your jewelry, GMOP is not something you can thoroughly wash in water or cleaning solution on a regular basis. Your SA saying it's fine if you splash water on it means just that. When I wash my hands and I'm wearing my onyx or chalcedony, I try not to get them wet. It's not the end of the world if water happens to splash on it, but it should not be soaked in dishwashing liquid in my ultrasonic or washed on a regular/daily basis, as I am assuming you will want to given your work situation. For that reason alone, and assuming you want to wear it daily, I would not choose GMOP. However, when covid is over, and we are not hyper vigilant about cleaning everything, then I think its fine. Until then, if I were in your shoes, I would stick with all gold or pave, which can be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis.
And I don't think there is anything "basic" about solid rose gold. It may be more subtle, but that is just a different look. Some people prefer it.

Hi!

Thank you so much!
View attachment 4784394View attachment 4784395

Firstly, rose gold -- definitely not basic. Are you set on this gold or open to WG or YG that might stand out more, if that's what you want? Can you order all 3 to try on and assess with your skin color? It's very hard to know based on others' pictures.

Are you in the clinic/OR and working with patients, or on the admin end of things/ no pt contact? Know that any secretion of any sort that gets on your MOP will ruin it (not only physically, but most also psychologically). MOP cannot be cleaned the way a solid gold piece could. <Personal experience> Until then, you will also be constantly paranoid about it.

My first piece of VCA is the GMOP pendant and I love it to bits. However, MOP in general is much more delicate than rose gold (or gold), so if you are planning to clean it yourself regularly, I wouldn’t suggest wearing it to work at all.
Before I get mine, I have considered getting the guilloche one. But when I tried it, it just doesn’t spark joy as much as the GMOP. Even wearing my necklace may sometimes worry me (I have ruined a Bulgari MOP necklace), I still get whatever sings to me. And now I love my pendant to bits!