First VCA - buy online or wait for the store to open

pinkrose398

MaddyLoves.com
O.G.
Feb 7, 2009
Hi! My parents are gifting me a VCA necklace as a wedding gift. We’re Chinese and in our hometown, usually parents give gold jewelry to their kids during the tea ceremony. My parents didn’t want to get me the gaudy super yellow 24k gold jewelry so they said I can pick one from a brand I want, and I decided to get the VCA vintage Alhambra with the white MOP and gold.

I’ve never tried on this necklace on in person before though and for items this expensive, I feel like I should try it on in person before purchasing. The issue is all VCA stores are closed in my city (Vancouver Canada) so I’m wondering if you guys suggest just ordering it online, or waiting for the stores to open to buy in store.

I also feel like if I’m buying something so expensive, it would be good to get the in store service and experience too. I’ve never bought anything from them and I don’t anticipate buying a second piece for at least a few more years (my true love is handbags). But I’m also worried that there will be price increases once the stores reopen.

Any suggestions? Thank you!!

i would suggest trying it on. all my VCA purchases were done in person except the last two. Both stones, carnelian and grey mother of pearl, can vary in look and what arrived wasn't the ideal coloring i wanted. and with items like these, you should be in love with the coloring. white mother of pearl is just as specific. worth seeing a few options in person before committing. i am waiting to exchange my two purchases for the same stones but different coloring.

i would suggest trying it on. all my VCA purchases were done in person except the last two. Both stones, carnelian and grey mother of pearl, can vary in look and what arrived wasn't the ideal coloring i wanted. and with items like these, you should be in love with the coloring. white mother of pearl is just as specific. worth seeing a few options in person before committing. i am waiting to exchange my two purchases for the same stones but different coloring.
That's good to know, I didn't know the colouring could vary between pieces! I'm so glad I found this forum because then I wouldn't regret being stuck with a less than ideal colouring.

Hi! My parents are gifting me a VCA necklace as a wedding gift. We’re Chinese and in our hometown, usually parents give gold jewelry to their kids during the tea ceremony. My parents didn’t want to get me the gaudy super yellow 24k gold jewelry so they said I can pick one from a brand I want, and I decided to get the VCA vintage Alhambra with the white MOP and gold.

I’ve never tried on this necklace on in person before though and for items this expensive, I feel like I should try it on in person before purchasing. The issue is all VCA stores are closed in my city (Vancouver Canada) so I’m wondering if you guys suggest just ordering it online, or waiting for the stores to open to buy in store.

I also feel like if I’m buying something so expensive, it would be good to get the in store service and experience too. I’ve never bought anything from them and I don’t anticipate buying a second piece for at least a few more years (my true love is handbags). But I’m also worried that there will be price increases once the stores reopen.

what a beautiful & thoughtful gift of your parents, wishing you & your s/o a long, happy marriage!

Thanks everyone for your comments! I texted an SA and they said they were open by appointment only, so I made an appointment to go into the store in two weeks. I'm so excited!

I'm in the same boat, I am buying my first VCA piece as an MBA graduation gift from family. I decided to wait until the stores re-open. Hope you have a great experience!

I just ordered a carnelian sweet Alhambra bracelet online. I do worry about the color. It is better if you can go pick one by yourself. Some mop got more colorful light reflections. And mind the gap. Some motif got noticeable gaps.

Reactions: pinkrose398

Hi,

Did they close again? I was one of the first customers to go back on May 29th. I called the toll-free number (the store phone wasn't working) and booked my appointment. Only 2 customers were allowed in the store at the same time. I was assisted with a super nice lady (love her!) named Quinn.

Hi,

Did they close again? I was one of the first customers to go back on May 29th. I called the toll-free number (the store phone wasn't working) and booked my appointment. Only 2 customers were allowed in the store at the same time. I was assisted with a super nice lady (love her!) named Quinn.

I don't think they closed again, I just thought the stores were closed because the store number wasn't working (it would just keep ringing and ringing) and the website said the stores are closed. I ended up texting an SA whom I had met briefly when I went in to browse, and she said it was open by appointment, so I made an appointment with her.

When you say only two customers are allowed in the store at the same time, is that two separate people, or is it two groups of customers? So if I wanted to bring my mom, would that mean no one else would be allowed in the store at the same time?

I personally think that aside from trying pieces on, as they are expensive. There are a couple of other items to consider.

First, shopping at the boutique is fun! It can be an amazing experience, especially if you really end up finding an SA you like.

And that brings me to my next and more important point. Do you plan on purchasing more pieces in the future? Do you someday hope to collect VCA? If so, start out in the boutique as you will want to cultivate a relationship with your SA. Having a close relationship with your SA ensures they will think of you when new pieces arrive, when limited pieces are available, etc. There are other sweet perks as well thinking about holidays and your birthday. ;)

Reactions: DS2006
I ordered my first vintage Alhambra MOP with gold necklace online about a month ago as I live in the northeast US where we had no idea when we'd be shopping again (luckily, it will be next week!) and it came in this beautiful box and was perfect. That said, I plan to go to the store next weekend to get the matching bracelet and get the necklace lengthened an inch. IMO the necklaces are super short. So if you need it lengthened, it will be nice to go right to the store.

This is my first dip in the luxury jewelry pond as I, too, am a handbags girl but now I think I am hooked. Cartier might be next!

I ordered my first vintage Alhambra MOP with gold necklace online about a month ago as I live in the northeast US where we had no idea when we'd be shopping again (luckily, it will be next week!) and it came in this beautiful box and was perfect. That said, I plan to go to the store next weekend to get the matching bracelet and get the necklace lengthened an inch. IMO the necklaces are super short. So if you need it lengthened, it will be nice to go right to the store.

This is my first dip in the luxury jewelry pond as I, too, am a handbags girl but now I think I am hooked. Cartier might be next!

I have a Cartier love bracelet and my shopping experience with the store was really great but I didn't do much research on the shopping experience before I went, so I didn't receive the wax stamp packaging, or the cleaning kit or travel pouch. I felt a bit upset about it after because I'm paying such a premium yet I'm not getting all of the "frills" and accessories. That's why for my VCA purchase I'm doing all the research I can about the store shopping experience and will make sure to ask for everything I'm supposed to be getting with my purchase.

Reactions: hartwin and Mali_
I have a Cartier love bracelet and my shopping experience with the store was really great but I didn't do much research on the shopping experience before I went, so I didn't receive the wax stamp packaging, or the cleaning kit or travel pouch. I felt a bit upset about it after because I'm paying such a premium yet I'm not getting all of the "frills" and accessories. That's why for my VCA purchase I'm doing all the research I can about the store shopping experience and will make sure to ask for everything I'm supposed to be getting with my purchase.

Weird - you don't have to ask for the frills; they just give hem to you. I wonder why you weren't provided these items! How odd. :sad: