First Van Cleef - don’t know if I made the right choice

myztic

O.G.
Dec 5, 2010
I went into the store thinking I’ll buy something around 2k, but ended up picking up this piece for 4100. I don’t know if I made a mistake or if it’s worth it. Do these necklaces lose a ton of value? Do they hold steady? I am very new to the brand and like making purchases for items that have staying power and are classic, retain value versus trendy items.
The store told me it’s white gold with a diamond in it and limited edition.
What are your thoughts?

they made it seem like it’s highly sought after.92BACBB0-5381-4FC4-AB4B-C7FFB88D15A9.png

In general jewelry lose at least 50% of its price the moment you walk out the store, regardless what metal and stone is used. However some pieces from brands like Cartier and VCA will have a better resale value. But, I honestly wouldn’t rely on it. If you have any doubts, it’s better to exchange it for something you’ll enjoy more. And correct me if I’m wrong but there are no refunds for pieces bought in VCA store

I have a Cartier love bracelet and although it’s pretty scratched up, I love it so so so so much. I wear it every single day and adore it. I know with the scratches it won’t have resale value, but I definitely seeing it standing the test of time and is a piece I think I’ll adore forever! I hope this is the same. It’s definitely a bit more than what I planned to spend ... I just hope it keeps it’s gorgeous wow factor.

In general jewelry lose at least 50% of its price the moment you walk out the store, regardless what metal and stone is used. However some pieces from brands like Cartier and VCA will have a better resale value. But, I honestly wouldn’t rely on it. If you have any doubts, it’s better to exchange it for something you’ll enjoy more. And correct me if I’m wrong but there are no refunds for pieces bought in VCA store

Do handbags keep more of their resale value? Ive never actually sold a handbag after purchase but I think it’s nice when you have something you purchased that you love and see that the price did increase for new purchases over time (Cartier love bracelet goes up each year, channel classic flap, etc.) so while I wouldn’t sell it, I’m glad I bought it when I did since it’s replacement value to me at a later stage is so much higher.

Certain models of certain brands do hold value. BUT everything changes, so I won’t be surprised that this so called “resale” trend will blow up like a bubble. With more advanced super-fakes, people will become more apprehensive to purchase smth from other than store. And with all this unemployment due to Covid-19 we will have an inflation sooner or later. When it will happen, the last thing anyone would want is some lux stuff. That’s what happened in 2008-2010. I’m not saying to stop buying things you want, but do it with clear understanding that money you spent on it are gone.

Last edited:
Do handbags keep more of their resale value? Ive never actually sold a handbag after purchase but I think it’s nice when you have something you purchased that you love and see that the price did increase for new purchases over time (Cartier love bracelet goes up each year, channel classic flap, etc.) so while I wouldn’t sell it, I’m glad I bought it when I did since it’s replacement value to me at a later stage is so much higher.
If you take in consideration the consignment fees, you will likely lose money when selling your bags or jewelry.

It is a beautiful Limited Edition piece and it will be out of stock very soon as it is on everyone's shopping list since before it was even released :smile: you are very lucky to have it but if you don't like it then you might be able to exchange it for something you actually love and will wear. I honestly think it is a beautiful piece and it will go with everything!

Reactions: 880
I do think Holiday pendants will hold value more then a regular pendant in the collection. They are limited and some pendants from previous years are highly sought for. But this should not be where you base(d) your decision on. You should love it :smile:. I do think this will go with everything and it really is a very pretty pendant. Just try it on with different outfits on moments (keep the plastic on it) and see how you like it in a week? You have some time to exchange if it is not a piece you love.

Do not buy based on potential resale value or limited editions. Only buy something because you absolutely love it and plan to keep it forever. You will normally lose money selling any jewelry, although VCA fares better than most.

Do you have other white gold jewelry? Is that your preferred metal? Is your Cartier Love bracelet white gold? If it's yellow gold, I'd look at the yellow gold guilloche pendant instead. But again, buy what you love and will wear.

I think my concern was mostly that it was an impulse buy. I needed a necklace for a specific outdoor event with my family (just my household) and I had 20 minutes to make a choice on a necklace to wear with my dress.
I’m not an impulse buyer. I like to spend time on my purchase, look at it in advance, check how it’s been styled, etc and then buy. So I think my initial hesitation was more along those lines.
I have spent some time after the purchase time doing that and I definitely love it!!

It really is beautiful and I can see myself wearing it in SO many ways. It is shiny, eye catching and gorgeous. I just hate that I can’t see it all the time like I can my bracelets. (I have to look into a mirror to marvel at its beauty, but that would be true for any necklace.) It really is a beautiful piece and a great introduction to Van Cleef & Arpels for me.

My Cartier love bracelet is yellow gold so I’m not sure if that’s going to clash.