First Timer

oceanplease

Aug 9, 2009
Hey everyone!
I've decided it's finally time to take the plunge and buy my first LV. I have a comfortable collection of bags- mainly MJ, Vivienne Westwood and Betsey but I really want to get a classic, adult looking bag for job interviews (I'm graduating this year), going out to dinner etc. I love my other bags but they're all very plain or too...edgy.

Sadly, since I am a student I'm limited to pre-loved bags so I'm not looking for anything from new collections or limited edition (although I would love to have one of the watercolor monograms one day). It seems like the Speedy or Neverfull are the two most popular "beginner" bags and I tend to lean towards the shape of the Speedy more. I'm not interested in the 25 (too small) but since I haven't tried the 30, 35 or 40 in person, I'm a little lost. I LOVE big bags but I'm worried the 40 is a little too big (I'm 5'4" about a size 12) and will look ridonkulous on me. And while I do carry a lot of stuff, I don't have TONS of stuff (usually wallet, sunglasses, book, waterbottle, makeupcase, maybe sweater and umbrella) and I don't want to have so much bag it just looks sloppy. Essentially, I'd like the biggest bag possible without looking silly. Also, I'm torn on either monogram or epi. I love the brown of the monogram but I'm worried it's less classic and more cliche but I've never really gotten a good look at the epi in person so I don't know how it translates (is the blue a nice color? I'd like to avoid black).

I was hoping to get some advice from more advanced and experience LV lovers. Thanks so much guys! I apologize if this has been asked a million times, I've tried searching but am still getting used to all the features!

i think you should get a classic speedy in a 30 - not too big or too small.
Oh wait I just read what you carry on a daily basis - maybe a 35 but it would have to be mono as epi doesn't come in this size. If you went with a 30, epi or mono would be a great choice.

I think the mono is definately a classic especially if it's going to be your first LV...

30 or 35 would be perfect! The blue epi is gorgeous! My first LV item was a blue epi key holder.. :smile:
Have you considered the Damier speedy? It's very classy and would do well for work, going out and day to day wear!

30 or 35 would be perfect! The blue epi is gorgeous! My first LV item was a blue epi key holder.. :smile:
Have you considered the Damier speedy? It's very classy and would do well for work, going out and day to day wear!
^ I agree! I think the Damier Speedy 30 or 35 would be perfect! It's easy to dress up and down, so it's great for work or casual.

I have the monogram Speedy in 40 and the Damier azur in 30, and I would say go with the 30! The 40 is great for an overnight stay or something like that but the 30 is PERFECT for everyday use, dinners etc. I love mine and I think the 30 size is perfect, it looks great and you can really fit a lot of stuff in it.

This is my Speedy Damier Azur in size 30. I thought it might be too small when I first bought it, but now I know that it's the perfect size!

3805303554_2fed58527e.jpg

If you go for mono the 35 is a great size if you like big bags. But since you want to use it for job interviews too, I suggest an epi 30 in either black or cassis. The mono will get too casual once it gets slouchy and grows patina. Wich IMHO is the best look for mono speedy.

The Speedy 30 is the most popular size and would look great on you. If you carry a lot of stuff everyday, you might prefer the 35. I'd get Damier - perfect for interviews, etc.