Travel First time trip to NY!!~ SO EXCITED!!!!~

AestHetiC

I <3 Rain
O.G.
May 23, 2006
Ok. so im going to NY for the first time in my life with a few friends on july 18th and will be there for 9 days (this is actually my first trip on an airplane without my parents). I had some questions i wanted to ask before i start planning for the trip and before i go.
I'd appreciate all the answers I can get!!!~

*My friend recently went to NY and had her purse cut and wallet stolen so i'm kind of paranoid but i'd like to take my bags to NY so im gonna be asking a few questions about insurance on my bags. lol.

1)I'm leaving for NY on July 18th on Virgin America Airlines, gonna be there for 9 days and I was thinking of carrying my balenciaga work,LV speedy, and LV sunset blvd. (for clubbing) for me to use while im in ny. Do you think its ok for me to take them?

2)Do you think i should get travelers insurance before i go? i'm only 22 years old and a working student which means i have a budget so i would like to spare the $200-300 if possible, but if insurance is really necessary i guess i will have to get it.

3)im mostly getting the travel insurance for my designer bags and camera(if i do end up taking them) do i need to take the receipts with my bags and camera?

4)Where are some places in NY that i MUST go to? Things i should definitely check out? (if you have any good tour sites with great deals i'd appreciate if you could give them to me)

5)Where are some good places to shop?

6)I'd like to visit a few clubs while im there...do any of you have any recommendations?

7)How dangerous is it for a group of 3-4 girls to be walking around during the wee hours of the night like around 10pm-2am? (just in case we go to bars and stuff)

8)How much is too much stuff to be taking? I'm thinking of taking one huge luggage bag w/wheels to check-in and leaving it half empty to put in the stuff i buy while shopping there and carrying on one small luggage with wheels and my balenciaga or speedy (is this considered 2 carry ons and even allowed?) do you think it should be fine or just too much?

I actually felt like i had alot more to ask before i started this thread but i think i forgot some things while i was typing. :P feel free to leave any tips of advice for me! :tup:

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!!! :yahoo:

1)I'm leaving for NY on July 18th on Virgin America Airlines, gonna be there for 9 days and I was thinking of carrying my balenciaga work,LV speedy, and LV sunset blvd. (for clubbing) for me to use while im in ny. Do you think its ok for me to take them? You will totally be fine

4)Where are some places in NY that i MUST go to? Things i should definitely check out? (if you have any good tour sites with great deals i'd appreciate if you could give them to me) The Momma, Central Park

5)Where are some good places to shop? All of the department stores like Bloomies & Saks. If you have a chance I would recommend going to Woodbury Common, it's only about 1 hour away

7)How dangerous is it for a group of 3-4 girls to be walking around during the wee hours of the night like around 10pm-2am? (just in case we go to bars and stuff) As long as you use common sense & walk on lit streets, you should be fine

I just came back from NY.

Taking your bags you will be fine. That's terrible that your friend had her purse cut and wallet stolen, but I think anywhere you go you should be cautious about your purse and wallet.

I flew on Virgin America as well and I love their planes! Tv screen is awesome. Sometimes the dishnetwork doesn't work that well, but oh well. There are other things to occupy your time.

As far as things to go the Moma is free on Fridays from 4pm - 8 pm.

Check out playbill.com for discounts to Broadway shows.

Check out goldstar.com for cheap tickets to some stuff in NY.

Since you've never been and I know it's touristy take one of those double decker bus tours. They are really informative.

You're really safe walking around New York at night and if you don't feel safe grab a taxi.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for right now.

Just have fun and try new places to eat and places to go!

Also, try to get the City Pass or the New York Pass. It gives you access to museums, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Empire State Building and all a lot of other stuff (and I mean "A LOT" of stuff) for a fee (I'm not sure how much they cost now but very practical). You can choose to buy for a certain number of days. Just check it out.

Could anyone please tell if it's a good idea going to NY for Christmas? My hubby and I are thinking about it, but are not so sure yet. I'd really appreciate! ;)

As far as shopping goes, you should definitely visit Century 21 - It's a huge discount designer department store. Now, it can definitely be hit or miss, but it's worth it to go at least once. The address is 22 Cortlandt St, and lots of trains go there (A, C, 4, 5 & 6 and I'm sure at least one more). I would advise you that it is a zoo on the weekends and during lunch hour, so try to make it your first stop - The store opens at 7:45am during the week, 10am on Saturdays and 11am on Sundays.

I also highly recommend 34th St. Once again, it is very accessible by subway (nearly every subway line passes through that area), and there is a lot to see and do. The huge Macy's is there, along with lots of stores like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and more. One of my favorite spots was this shoe store called David Z, which is on 5th Ave, between 35th and 36th (a little ways from 34th, but not too far) - I haven't been in a couple of years, but there was a period of time where I bought most of my shoes from there. Great selection, and I remember that they had lots of Diesel and other great brands.

I agree that you should take one of those double decker bus tours. You get to see a lot more than you would if you tried to do it yourself.

Times Square is great too, just watch out for all the tourists walking slowly and holding up traffic :smile:. It's bright and shiny and there's a lot going on. There are plenty of restaurants, too. If you and your friends want a casual dining experience with great ribs, chicken, shrimp and huge drinks, go to Dallas BBQ. It's on 42nd between 7th and 8th Avenues.

Hope this helps!

Fabs, New York is great to visit any time of year, but I think it's extra special around Christmastime. You can ice skate at Rockefeller Center underneath the big Christmas tree, go for a carriage ride in Central Park, and see the Rockettes perform during the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Of course, there's the great shopping and dining :smile:. I'm from NYC, and I'm thinking of going back during Christmastime myself; I know I'd have a fabulous time, and you would too, if you decide to go.

1. Designer bags are totally fine. Lots of women who live and work in NYC have them, use them daily, and have had no problem. Common sense applies (i.e., don't leave your purse on a table at a club unattended), but there's no need to leave your beauties at home.
2. I don't know anything about traveller's insurance...my apologies.
3. Places to go -- I love taking visitors on explorations of neighborhoods. Downtown is a fantastic mix -- you can start at the financial district (wall street, WTC site), then walk up broadway and see Chinatown (a wonderful little neighborhood in its own right), and then continue up Broadway into Soho (lots of shopping, but the cast-iron buildings are simply STUNNING). Chelsea is home to some up-and-coming art galleries, Hell's Kitchen has a great mix of ethnic restaurants, and both the UWS and the UES have amazing museums.
As for actual things to do...on a clear day, head up the Empire State building. Seeing the sunset + city lights come on is gorgeous. I LOVE the museums -- the Met is my all time favorite (one of the world's biggest art museums), MOMA & the Whitney are fantastic if modern art is your thing, the Museum of Natural History is fun if you're not so much of an art fan. Plus, there's more obscure museums, like the Museum of Radio & Television at Radio City, which can be fascinating if there's a museum for your interest.
Central Park is one of my all-time favorite things. Also, since you'll be in NYC over the summer, Bryant Park Monday Night movie is a time-honored tradition. Every Monday night during the summer, new yorkers will picnic out in Bryant Park, and around 8-9pm, a classic movie will play in Bryant Park. It's one of my FAVORITE things about summer in the city.
4. Places to shop...before you go -- check out the shopping section on nymag.com -- they list sample sales. One of my personal favorites is Century 21 (although go first thing in the AM during the work week, otherwise, you will be waiting in LINE FOREVER for the dressing room). I am a huge fan of Saks Fifth Avenue (I seem to find their markdowns very reasonable), and Barneys New York (to drool over). During mid-late July, lots of the department stores will be taking their final markdowns -- check out Saks, Bloomie's & Bergdorfs.
5. Most of the clubs worth going to are in Chelsea...be prepared to work the velvet rope, and pay a small fortune for drinks. I can't really think of any club recommendations off the top of my head; I'm more of a wine bar person myself. :smile: You are going in the middle of the summer, in which most people in the City spend time in the Hamptons on the weekends...so the velvet rope may be easier.
6. In most neighborhoods, it's OK for girls to walk alone by themselves. I'm 24, and will walk home alone from a late night at the office with little thought. BUT -- if you don't know exactly where you're going (or barring that, walk with a sense of direction and purpose), you do end up targeting yourself.
Also note: most bars and clubs are open until 4am. If I'm out after 2am, I almost always will take a cab home if I'm more than 8-9 blocks away from my apartment (primarily because I don't feel like dealing with the subway at that point in time).
If you're in neighborhoods near the Port Authority bus station, or the financial district...I'd recommend NOT wandering around at night too far off the beaten path. It's not so much because it's dangerous per se, but those areas are more deserted.
Most of my girlfriends will not wander above 96th street at night...I personally don't have a problem with it, but some do.
7. Double check with your airline re: baggage restrictions. If you can handle it, then I'd say bring it!

Have fun, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Fabs -- Since I live in Manhattan, I have a love/hate relationship with NYC during Christmas. It's INSANELY crowded -- I work in Midtown, right near Rockefeller Center, and it becomes downright PAINFUL to walk down the street during the evening hours. There are waits to enter into stores like FAO Schwarz, as well as 2+ hour waits to ice skate in Rockefeller Center.

BUT...Christmas in New York is deservely an amazing experience. Every year, my friends do a big holiday lights tour...we pick a week night, and tour all two big outdoor trees (Lincoln & Rockefeller Center), see the holiday store windows on 5th. The major musuems have amazing trees inside, and both the Bronx Zoo and the NY Botanical Gardens have beautiful displays. St. Patrick's Cathedral is simply stunning as well during the holidays. And not only is the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular going on (cheesy, but definitely one of my own personal sentimental favorites), but there are a number of "The Nutcracker" and "Messiah" performances throughout the city.

If you can swing it, go during the week towards the beginning part of December. Everything will be decorated, but the crowds will be lessened. If you can only go during the weekends, just be prepared to deal with crowds at every turn (I do still think Christmas in New York is worth it)!

)I'm leaving for NY on July 18th on Virgin America Airlines, gonna be there for 9 days and I was thinking of carrying my balenciaga work,LV speedy, and LV sunset blvd. (for clubbing) for me to use while im in ny. Do you think its ok for me to take them? yes, those sound fine. u will see many women carrying designer purses. its no biggie here.

2)Do you think i should get travelers insurance before i go? i'm only 22 years old and a working student which means i have a budget so i would like to spare the $200-300 if possible, but if insurance is really necessary i guess i will have to get it. i dont know anything about travelers insurance so i cant helo you there.

3)im mostly getting the travel insurance for my designer bags and camera(if i do end up taking them) do i need to take the receipts with my bags and camera? same as #2. ;)

4)Where are some places in NY that i MUST go to? Things i should definitely check out? (if you have any good tour sites with great deals i'd appreciate if you could give them to me) visit central park. in summer they have shakespeare in the park. museum of natural history is right across from the park..go to museum then the park..if u like, take those double decker buses, i see pp on there ALL THE TIME...it seems good..i think they take u around the entire city so this way u get a good idea since its ur first time..i saw thoses buses uptown, midtown, and downdown (flatiorn) so they must really get around!

5)Where are some good places to shop? bergdorf goodman and saks are my favs. go up and down 5th and also up an down Madison for designer boutiques. i also like all the stores in soho- west broadway, prince, etc. NYC is a walking city..u need to take a cab to soho, get out arpund prince/bdway and just walk around..shop, sit at a sidewalk cafe and eat lunch w/ ur friends.

6)I'd like to visit a few clubs while im there...do any of you have any recommendations? since you are new, i am going to suggest areas where u just go, and theres tons of clubs near by. 29th st and 9th ave- you have Marquee, blungow 8, pink elephant, home, cain, and guesthouse all on ONE BLOCK. you cant get lost! have fun!!!!

7)How dangerous is it for a group of 3-4 girls to be walking around during the wee hours of the night like around 10pm-2am? (just in case we go to bars and stuff) use common sense. you will be fine. us new yorkers are good people..hahha

Mlisaac and AidaNY thank you so much for the tips! We're 80-90% sure that we'll be going now... :smile: It'll be our first time in the US and we're very excited! :biggrin: Juts hope I'll have a whole week off in december! :Push:

I would recommend E'Cole for dining. This is the French Culinary Institute own restaurant down in SOHO. They have an amazing lunch special ($26.50) that includes a three course meal. We went there with no reservations and they let us in. The service is very good too. The meals are prepared by the students of the culinary school.

Some of my own personal dining favorites...
Rosa Mexicano - Mexican restaurant at three different locations (one on the UWS near Lincoln Center, one in Union Square, and one in Midtown East/Sutton Place) -- it's not your typical Mexican food, as the menu tends to use more unusual ingredients. BUT, they have amazing guacamole they make table side, and delicious pomegranate margaritas.
Bouchon Bakery - French cafe style at the Time Warner Building (at the Columbus Circle). Yes, it's in a mall, but they have amazing food -- with their flair, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a piece of art. To DIE for desserts and macaroons, and impeccable service. It's a great place to go for lunch / quick dinner before a Broadway show.
Shake Shack - outdoor burger and shake joint in Madison Square Park. To give you an idea of how GREAT this place is, I was in Chelsea this afternoon. People were waiting for burgers at this place in the pouring rain...the line was about 20 people deep, in spite of the rain. Cheap food, but I'd recommend getting there at 11am when they open to avoid waiting in line...although waiting in line for the Shake Shack is a summer tradition. If you go on a clear night, you'll enjoy your burgers with a fantastic view of the Empire State Building.
Strip House - Steakhouse in the Union Square/Greenwich Village area. It's my personal favorite steakhouse in Manhattan...unique atmosphere, and their steaks are PERFECTLY seasoned.
Blockheads - Cheaper, more "traditional" Mexican food -- they have 5 locations throughout the city (with one close to the Broadway theatres and Times Square). A great value for the money.
Lemongrass Grill - Thai food, numerous locations throughout the city - I tend to frequent the one on 13th Street. Great, quick food, and WONDERFUL service.
Levain Bakery - the best chocolate chip cookies known to man, located on the Upper West.
Sarabeth's - two locations, I believe -- the one I frequent is on the Upper West Side. FANTASTIC for brunch.
Lasagna Ristorante - located in Chelsea, Italian food. GREAT pasta dishes, and reasonably priced.
Balthazar - bistro type restaurant in Soho. I tend to be very critical of trendy places, and I'm very much aware that it is likely overpriced...but I still like this place at all hours of the day.

I tend to stay away from eating in Times Square -- if I must, John's Pizzeria is one of my favorite pizza places in Manhattan.

Last edited: