First time shopping at boutique must use wire transfer??

Apr 30, 2011
I have a few Fendi items that I have purchased at different department stores. I just tried to make my first purchase at a boutique via phone and after getting my CC info, I was informed that there is a new store policy where if you are a first time shopper, you have to pay via wire transfer?? I have never encountered this before and I just find it SO odd! Has this happened to anyone else?

I tried to buy a Strap you remotely (since there was no stock on the webpage) and the SA told me the same, even though I've purchased with Fendi in my country (not US) and I'm supposed to be registered, he said I didn't show up.

I guess I'll have to take the cue on this one and stick to shopping on other retailers and my local boutique.

I tried to buy a Strap you remotely (since there was no stock on the webpage) and the SA told me the same, even though I've purchased with Fendi in my country (not US) and I'm supposed to be registered, he said I didn't show up.

I guess I'll have to take the cue on this one and stick to shopping on other retailers and my local boutique.

I ended up emailing Fendi as well as calling another location, both confirmed that this is their new policy, So very odd and outdated. I called my bank beforehand and they were just as shocked as I was. They were like I havent heard about a company doing this in forever. I ended up locating the shoes I wanted at my local boutique and went in to purchase them that way. A hassle for sure but the SA helping me told me that they were having a lot of issues with purchases so thats why they implemented this new system.

I ended up emailing Fendi as well as calling another location, both confirmed that this is their new policy, So very odd and outdated. I called my bank beforehand and they were just as shocked as I was. They were like I havent heard about a company doing this in forever. I ended up locating the shoes I wanted at my local boutique and went in to purchase them that way. A hassle for sure but the SA helping me told me that they were having a lot of issues with purchases so thats why they implemented this new system.
I don't think it has anything to do with payment issues, at the end, the issuer of the credit card HAS to pay Fendi for the charge, the issue would be the bank against the customer, I think this is a way of putting some sort of pre-requisite, meaning, you have to have the money straight up and in a some sort of way, to prove you actually have the money to buy there.

A credit card is different since, a plastic can be approved with a certain limit and the credit card user may not be able to pay, I don't know, to me it seems sketchy. Anyways, I think I'm forced to actually buy stuff in my country (where I'm already registered as a customer) and be able to buy via CC.

I don't think it has anything to do with payment issues, at the end, the issuer of the credit card HAS to pay Fendi for the charge, the issue would be the bank against the customer, I think this is a way of putting some sort of pre-requisite, meaning, you have to have the money straight up and in a some sort of way, to prove you actually have the money to buy there.

A credit card is different since, a plastic can be approved with a certain limit and the credit card user may not be able to pay, I don't know, to me it seems sketchy. Anyways, I think I'm forced to actually buy stuff in my country (where I'm already registered as a customer) and be able to buy via CC.

Yeah it definitely seemed sketchy since I don't think any other brand does this. Luckily I live an hour away from a boutique so I was able to go in and get the shoes I wanted at a great discount, 50% off. However for people that do not live close enough to a boutique, or in your case want to order from a different country, this system alienates them. I am not a fan of this system they have placed.

Yeah it definitely seemed sketchy since I don't think any other brand does this. Luckily I live an hour away from a boutique so I was able to go in and get the shoes I wanted at a great discount, 50% off. However for people that do not live close enough to a boutique, or in your case want to order from a different country, this system alienates them. I am not a fan of this system they have placed.
Yeah and the worst part the system is country centric, I'm already registered with Fendi in my country but the weird part is, when I go to another country at any boutique they won't be able to find me but, once they activate/register me they'll be able to even see the purchses in other parts of the world which seems idiotic.

I'm saying this because, the purchase I wanted to do in US, the guy at the Rodeo Dr store said he didn't find my profile in the system, then I contacted my SA and she said that, since is a different country he'll only be able to see me at the CRM side of the system and not the transactional system, but once registered, the system would magically show every purchase I'd made everywhere in the world.

Anyways, the only thing this makes is, we sadly won't be able to shop in another country but our own, or perhaps online at certain reputable sites that carry Fendi, in fact, just today I bought a pouch at 50% off that right now in my country's boutiques is full price, guess Fendi lost my money this time.

Yeah and the worst part the system is country centric, I'm already registered with Fendi in my country but the weird part is, when I go to another country at any boutique they won't be able to find me but, once they activate/register me they'll be able to even see the purchses in other parts of the world which seems idiotic.

I'm saying this because, the purchase I wanted to do in US, the guy at the Rodeo Dr store said he didn't find my profile in the system, then I contacted my SA and she said that, since is a different country he'll only be able to see me at the CRM side of the system and not the transactional system, but once registered, the system would magically show every purchase I'd made everywhere in the world.

Anyways, the only thing this makes is, we sadly won't be able to shop in another country but our own, or perhaps online at certain reputable sites that carry Fendi, in fact, just today I bought a pouch at 50% off that right now in my country's boutiques is full price, guess Fendi lost my money this time.

Could your SA in your country not order the item that's in the US? I feel like SAs should be able to do this instead of having the client do it. Congrats on the pouch! Love a steep discount :smile:

Could your SA in your country not order the item that's in the US? I feel like SAs should be able to do this instead of having the client do it. Congrats on the pouch! Love a steep discount :smile:
That's the thing, I don't know if that's available in certain countries but, my SA told me that, certain inventory enters the country and it is available to transfer between the boutiques in that country but, if for instance, I want something that is not supposed to arrive to the country or that didn't arrive, and the value of the merchandise is not relevant, it won't be requested, since the country manager and corporate need to authorize that unplanned acquisition for the country.

It sucks but at least according to my SA, that's the way Fendi does business.

I think the measure is more security like. Cos the rate of frauds and credit cards cancellation is on the rise everywhere around the world. Though a better measure like government ID should have being a more coherent alternative. The wire transfer things really slows down the whole process kinda.

I just thought I'd update this thread, as I found the information very interesting when the OP shared her experiences. I am an established Fendi customer in the US, due to a couple phone orders I made through Fendi boutiques that sit in Saks department stores (definitely the way to go, IMO). I placed an order through one of the independent (ie, not sitting in a department store) boutiques on Friday, and it was still a very odd experience, despite the fact that the SA was able to find my record in the Fendi system. I had to fill out a "Distance Order Form" and provide an image of my driver's license in order to place an order. In the order form, I had to state my nationality and birthdate and acknowledge that there are no refunds on store merchandise, only store credit or an exchange (which is different from Fendi.com, as well as the boutiques that sit in department stores which follow the department stores policies). Also, I received free ground shipping due to the upcoming holidays, but ordinarily would have had to pay for shipping (ground or expedited), despite my rather expensive purchase. I was allowed to use my cc, however, to pay for the purchase. The SA was very nice and somewhat apologetic about the hoops I had to jump through. I guess I'm just used to the more liberal policies of the large department stores, but the whole experience sort of took me aback.

I just thought I'd update this thread, as I found the information very interesting when the OP shared her experiences. I am an established Fendi customer in the US, due to a couple phone orders I made through Fendi boutiques that sit in Saks department stores (definitely the way to go, IMO). I placed an order through one of the independent (ie, not sitting in a department store) boutiques on Friday, and it was still a very odd experience, despite the fact that the SA was able to find my record in the Fendi system. I had to fill out a "Distance Order Form" and provide an image of my driver's license in order to place an order. In the order form, I had to state my nationality and birthdate and acknowledge that there are no refunds on store merchandise, only store credit or an exchange (which is different from Fendi.com, as well as the boutiques that sit in department stores which follow the department stores policies). Also, I received free ground shipping due to the upcoming holidays, but ordinarily would have had to pay for shipping (ground or expedited), despite my rather expensive purchase. I was allowed to use my cc, however, to pay for the purchase. The SA was very nice and somewhat apologetic about the hoops I had to jump through. I guess I'm just used to the more liberal policies of the large department stores, but the whole experience sort of took me aback.

I think if it is your first time shopping at a boutique and it's not in person, filling out the forms and sending your ID is standard procedure. I had to do that with Valentino and another brand that I can't remember right now, lol. Department stores are definitely more liberal in terms of policies and returns. That is good that they let you use your credit card. Wire transfers scream unsafe to me which is why I was initially taken aback. So what goodies did you get? :smile:

Yes, I told the SA straight up that I wasn't willing to do a wire transfer. Since she did find my record in the system, though, cc was okay, fortunately! Well, I visited the store over Thanksgiving when I was in town and saw this new Resort Peekaboo and thought, "Oh, I already have a pastel-colored Mini Selleria Peekaboo; I don't need another!" Fast forward a week later, and I'm still obsessing over it, and it has completely sold out on-line and the product number isn't even searchable over the phone when I call fendi.com, so, well, the upshot is that this is on it's way to me:

IMG_4527.JPG
:panic: