First time seller - need advice

rosyness

rosyness
Sep 26, 2012
Hello everyone. I've got a few designer purses that my mom wants me to sell for her. Seeing as this is the first time, if you were me, would you:

1) Consign in person at a store in town called "Labels," that does 50/50.

2) Consign with Yoogi's Closet.

3) Consign with Fashionphile.

4) Sell for the first time on ebay.

5) Something I haven't thought of.

I've got at least three bags which are in nicely worn condition, obviously all authentic. Mostly LVs.

Thanks in advance for weighing in and for any advice. I'm tempted to keep at least one if I have to do the in person 50/50 consignment 'cause the bags are used, so we're already talking a 50 percent markdown. Then if the store takes 50 percent, I'd probably only get a couple hundred bucks on one of these babies which was originally more than a thousand... Not sure I can part with these for that little reward, not to mention a lot of time, trouble and risk! I was leaning toward ebay, but after reading a few horror stories on here from people who were selling LV bags there, I'm wondering if that is really the best way to go. Also, a friend of mine used to do a lot of selling on ebay but now says it is hardly worth the effort due to higher seller's costs.

Last edited:
I would send some pics to Yoogi's see what they offer & they you can decide
to go from there..

If this would be your first time selling on ebay, you may have some restrictions
about your high end designer items.

Does Craigs list, Bonz or Malleries interest you???

You can always list one see how it goes & then decide.

Have you done an advanced search on ebay to see if there are similar bags
to yours to see what they sold for??

What kind of LV? There is always a glut of LV mono on Ebay so it is definitely a buyers market.
Have you submitted photos to any of the online consigners? I think Ann's wants the bags sent in, but there are others that will give you an estimate from pics. You could compare their offers to your local store.
If you haven't sold on Ebay you will in all likelihood be hit with both selling restrictions and Paypal holds on the funds. If you can get an authentication from Caroldiva and put that in the listing that may help
There is always Craig's List, just be prepared for stupid offers.
Bottom line is that the majority of used bags are being sold for dimes on the dollar these days. I have new with tag bags that aren't selling at just below 50% of retail. If you happen to have a 'hot' bag that is hard to find and in demand you could do well. Otherwise it is a crapshoot.

Hotshot, thanks. Sure. I'll check out the other sites you suggested too. Do you guys know offhand who gives the best rates?

I'm thinking craigslist could be a serious option. There are a lot of people in my area and I don't mind meeting face to face. Of course, I could meet a MURDERER, but hey, I could meet someone who is only strange and not a murderer and I am down for some awkward times and bonus giggles for sure.

Poopsie, thanks so much for all the good tips. Sounds like ebay really is a lot of trouble but if I do it, I will go for the caroldiva authentication. Is that in the authentication thread here on the purseforum? (I'd just go there and follow the directions.)

-And I really appreciate the bottom line note. True that. I think I will try craigslist whilst doing the photo exchange with online consigners, then if nothing goes, I will pick one to hold onto and proceed to the in person consignment shop. Because the bags are a bit worn, alebit nicely, it almost makes me happy to have someone buy it after holding and close inspection. When you buy something used in person, it is easier to see where the wear is and feel confident about your decision, as opposed to buying things online. Everytime I've ever bought anything on ebay it was more worn than it looked in the picture and that's such a disappointment when you're buying. These bags are lovely - so I feel like in person, at the right price, they will go and it will be win win.

*oooh, while looking up the specific styles at lv dot com, I just saw the emilie wallet with the red button - so adorable, want.

........Ok so a I thought this would be pretty easy to figure out with a quick search but I don't see either of the LV styles on the current site. The third is a small burberry tote and that's the one I'm tempted to keep. I feel like the joy I'd get is more than the dollars I could get. It has suede on the sides and a tusk enclosure. -Nothing I'd ever have bought on my own. I don't see that on the site either. That said these are one hundred percent authentic, originally purchased from boutiques. I'm off to play purse. They are all still in the car from last night since I was considering dropping them off at the nearby shop I mentioned. Is there a place here on the forum I can post pics to get IDs? :idea: -I should post in the main LV thread right? I'm being careful not to violate the no advertising rule here - so I guess I just say, what are these and be vague. Then I'd do the advanced ebay search for pricing in various conditions, etc.

One more question for you ladies. If you were going to buy a used Chanel flap, where would you go for that? I'd be too paranoid for ebay I think! The flap is my latest dream - but I probably wont take the plunge for another year to be honest. I just bought a Bottega Veneta Maxi and a wallet. They are perfect and have me satisfied for a bit... ...though that LV wallet is "only" 450 and is calling.......

Last edited:
I have bought a used Chanel flap on ebay before; just be sure to have it authenticated to be safe.

I think you are wise to forego ebay for selling the bags, since you don't have a ton of feedback and would be sitting duck for scams.

I just sold a ton of stuff to an online resale shop. You don't get as much as on ebay, but you don't have the hassles, either.

Keep in mind that Yoogi's and Fashionphile have built reputations where their items sell for higher prices (therefore = more money for you) because people are willing to pay more with a trusted seller.

I would explore Ann's as well as Yoogi's.. You will have a good idea as to what
they will pay for it & then you can determine if you want to go that route.

With Caroldiva she has a fee to "authenticate " the items but its worth it because
there is no question about authenticity to a propspective buyer & that could
make the difference in a sale.

But ebay is challenging & there might be restrictions for you & scammers are
bountiful, to say the least.

Chanel authentic flaps are available from many ebay sellers as well as good re-sellers.

There is a list I believe on the forum of re-sellers that are recommended and you
could also check the Chanel thread here on the forum as well.

Good luck & hope you are able to sell your bags.

Keep in mind that Yoogi's and Fashionphile have built reputations where their items sell for higher prices (therefore = more money for you) because people are willing to pay more with a trusted seller.

That may be true if you consign. Some items take longer to sell than others and you only get paid when the item sells. I don't know what the provisions are in case of return/chargeback. They also offer a Buy IT Now for their set fee option. You may make less, but you get paid immediately. I am so glad I chose the BIN option when I consigned a Prada to Yoogi's as it took over a year to sell

I am speaking only of YC as that is the only time I have consigned an item

I will check out Ann's. Tutushopper, do you mind me asking who you sold yours to? Beenburned, very good point.

I sold a bunch of things (mostly Chanel, but some other top designers) to Yoogi's Closet. I only consigned one item, that they didn't offer a "BIN" price on. I do, however, wish that I'd watched the website more to see which items sell quickly, as I would have made a lot more consigning those (some sold in less than an hour, many in less than a day). Most of the items (all but one) were NWT, NIB, so that may be a difference.

I've looked into many things but decided to keep 1, sell one in person to the consignment shop down the street and am going to give the last to Yoogi's or Malleries. Yoogi's has been the quickest and easiest as far as communication so far. I will probably encourage my mom to try them next time on her own. Thanks everyone for the good tips.