first time got into a car accident

i_love_yorkie

and BAGS
O.G.
Apr 8, 2007
so bf got into a car accident. the other guy ran the red light and my bf hit him. though we have witnesses (firemen). our car is major damaged, and DEAD.
in the other car, 1 guy and 1 girl. the girl was in passenger side, she has insurance and driver license- but not the guy. the driver has EL salvador license (not US) and NO insurance.
we have 1 1/2 way insurance on our car. but our insurance refuse to work with us because..we dont have 2 way cover.
police came and did a report, we have both the other 2's infos...
we tried to call her insurance company ( ANCHOR GENERAL INSURANCE of TEXAS) but they said they are off today, tomorrow until monday...

we never had a car accident before, what should we do? and what can we do?
my bf's back is hurt now (real- not just fake claim).
does anyone know (in this case) what will the insurance would offer? and what can i possible ask for?
we have a honda CRV 2007, pretty new. i dont want money to "repair" it because there is no way to get back that condition...
please help us...
today is my birthday too (+ valentine). my bf supposed to drop me off at my school and went to get me flowers and teddy bear (aw..)
we try to be as optimistic as possible..
thanks for any inputs.

Your insurance should pay for it. Why are they denying the claim? What is 1 1/2 way insurance? Who was the car registered to that you hit the girl or man with no insurance? If it is her I would think her insurance will pay.

I let someone drive my car without valid license and insurance and we were in a wreck My car spun into the other lane in the rain and someone hit us.

My insurance paid for the other people who hit us . They paid car damages and hospital bills for all of them. My insurance also paid my medical bills and for the driver and other passenger in my car . My insurance sent a check to the bank to pay what the value of my car was at the time without consulting me first. I owed 4000 more than what they sent the bank. I did not have gap insurance so I was going to be out 4,000. I called the insurance company and my bank and had it worked out so I would go to a car dealership and get the exact same car and the insurance company would pay for it and the bank would change the info on my loan to reflect the new car without issuing a new loan. It was hard trying to find the same car for the price the insurance wanted to pay but I found one finally at a dealership a few hours away after a month or so of looking. This whole process took 4 months for me. I had to wait for the bank to send back the check the insurance company sent and explain all of this to the bank and luckily they agreed to let me do this.

Your b/f needs to go to the emergency room to get his back checked asap. You never know if something serious is wrong. They will take him without insurance. Let them know it was a car wreck.

The other womens insurance should have an 1800 number that is open all hours to report claims. If you cannot find it call monday and talk to them. If they cover this accident they will then come and look at the car and decide if they will replace or pay you what they think the car is worth by book value and condition not the loan amount. If they cover this accident they will also pay medical bills for both of you and time lost from work from injuries and pain and suffering.

Last edited:
thank you so much ItalianFashion.
we called that number but the representative said that the claim department is OFF today, huhm...
so my bf has to check his back asap and the insurance will take care of the bill?

Yes he should check his back now to make sure nothing is seriously wrong. If there is he could injure himself more by moving around. I am thinking either your insurance or hers should pay for all of this. Call them monday morning to report it.

Why is your insurance not going to cover it? I'm not sure what 1 1/2 coverage is. Do you not have collision coverage on your insurance plan?

At least you have a witness that will testify (for lack of a better word) that the other driver was at fault. As that is the case the woman's insurance company should cover the damages, including your boyfriend's hospital bill. He needs to get checked out!

Regarding repairing your car, the insurance company will send someone to the shop where your car is to do an appraisal of the damages. If there is a certain percentage of the value of the car in damages (I think when I was in an accident a couple years ago the insurance told me something around 70-80%?) they will total the car and give you a check.

I just went through all of this insurance crap a couple months ago when I was in an accident...the insurance business is such a racket. And mine was more painful because it was due to snowy roads...so there was no real way to "prove fault." There were also no witnesses.

Good luck!

I have full cover insurance on my cars, got into a car accident thanks to a 16 year old girl driving fast and run a red light, anyways I had my insurance take care of everything (to find me a car repair shop and get it fixed right away), I was not hurt, I just wanted my car be in the same condition as it was prior to this accident.

Ok, I do auto claims for a living, so:

If your boyfriend has collision coverage, that should pick up the cost of repairing the vehicle (or a total loss settlement if it's not repairable). If his own insurance company pays for it, they will subrogate against the carrier of the other driver's insurance (or himself if he doesn't have insurance on the car) and recover the funds that way. This should also reimburse his deductible.

If your boyfriend is injured, he can file a bodily injury liability claim against the other party's insurance. If your boyfriend has medical coverage on his own policy (medical payments or in some states, PIP/No Fault coverage), then his own policy will cover and it and again, subrogate against the other driver. If the other party has no insurance, your boyfriend's policy should have something called Uninsured Motorist coverage, which will pick up the medical bills and give him a settlement for pain and suffering.

PM me if you need more info or have questions.

this is why tpf is so great...imasadgiraffe, that's really nice of you to offer your knowledge and expertise, and i learned something too!