First time Chanel buyer - Please Help!!

merzerkerr

Jun 25, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am a long time reader of the purse forum and finally made an account so I could ask a few questions and get some guidance. I apologize if there is a similar thread already that answers my questions, I looked but could not find one specifically. If there is one please direct me to it.

To give a little background: I live in NY and the nearest Chanel boutique or Saks store is about 5 hours away in NYC, so this is what is making this so difficult.

1. I was told by someone that I could not purchase a Chanel Handbag via phone because I have never made an in-store purchase at Chanel. Is this true?

2. Because of this, I decided to go the department store route. I have a Saks Fifth Avenue card that I got on a work trip to Virginia. I purchased 2 items in the store and opened my account at the same time.

I found a Saks Chanel SA on social media that I reached out to via email today. He told me he would see what he can do (I am looking for the Chanel Denim 19 flap bag). My limit on my Saks card is not enough to cover the whole balance of the handbag so I also provided him with my debit card information.

I was told that because I have not used the debit card in-store that they would not be able to run the card. I am confused because I contacted a different Saks Chanel yesterday and I was told that they could run the debit card but because it was one that had not been run in the store it would take 24 hours or longer to clear. That did not pan out anyways, because the handbag was gone by the time I got back to the SA.

Anyways, long story short. Is there ANY way I can get this bag?? What do you recommend I do? Traveling is not really an option right now so I would not be able to go a Chanel Boutique or a Saks that carries Chanel handbags. I understand that people sell bags pre-loved or there are instagram sellers but I am really trying not to go that route (they also charge more for sourcing the items). Does anyone have an SA at Saks that carries Chanel handbags that may be able to help me or is this a lost cause?

I am really super bummed about this as I do not think I will be able to get the bag at this point and should just give up.

TIA for reading or responding to my saga. ANY feedback or help is greatly appreciated. I am new to purchasing in the luxury market and I know I have a lot to learn.

This indeed seems like a difficult situation. Is the bag significantly above the limit of the card? Is it possible to increase the limit of the card? I'm not super familiar with the department route as I purchase from the boutique so can't give you much advice on that front.

Another route is to go with a personal shopper (I use a personal shopper for brands that are not available to me locally). I can't speak to the ones on Instagram, but at least with my personal shopper she doesn't charge extra for anything extra (if anything, she is able to get most things at a slight discount).

Hello, thank you for replying.

I would have to split the bag almost evenly between both cards, so I guess you could say it is above the card limit.

I have looked at personal shoppers on instagram but a lot of them are asking well above what I feel comfortable paying. Since I am new to luxury purchasing I unfortunately do not have any relationships with anyone who would source the bag for me and not charge me extra on top of the actual bag price. I would be fine with paying a little extra as a tip since people take their time trying to find the item, but some of the extra seems extreme to me. Especially because the Chanel Denim 19 Flap bag does not seem that hard to find, and if I lived near a department store I could walk right in and buy it now. But, unfortunately I do not.

Is your personal shopper taking any new clients and do they accept debit payment? If that is not polite to ask then I truly apologize, I am learning about all the ins and outs of the luxury world. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

I just gone thru this same thing with my 1st Chanel purchase with Saks. As i have not been shopping at saks for a long time, and my original Saks First account is closed and when I reopen my limit was way to low for any designer purhcases.

My SA was not able to run my Amex due to the same security issue. She has suggested me to purchased gift cards to purchase the bag that way. I have not agreed to it yet... I feel bad since SA is amazing and helpful, but I feel like I am jumping thru hoop and uncomfortable using Gift cards.

I am now most likely going with Nordstorm which I have a Nordie account opened consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: merzerkerr
If you're purchasing the bag from Saks, ask your SA to open a MPA (Major Purchase Account) account. The limit is way higher than the store card and if they have promotion, you could make equal payment for 12 months with no interest as well. I usually put my Chanel purchases on this card instead of Saks store card. You still get points and they combine points from both accounts (MPA and Saks store card). Hope this help & your SA can locate the bag for you!

Sorry for the late response, unfortunately my PS is not taking any client at the moment. It seems others have other suggestions regarding how to get the purchase through at Saks. I would try to see if Saks would up your credit card limit (even if its doubling your limit). No harm in trying :smile:

Reactions: merzerkerr
Thank you everyone for the responses.

The SA I am working with said that they cannot use my debit card because I have never used it in the store before and it is a security risk. I asked about the MPA and he did not respond regarding that. He said I would not be able to purchase anything unless I was at Saks, in person, with a photo ID. So I guess I won't be able to get the bag from Saks?

It is all extremely confusing to me because now working with two SAs I have had two completely different responses.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

The SA I am working with said that they cannot use my debit card because I have never used it in the store before and it is a security risk. I asked about the MPA and he did not respond regarding that. He said I would not be able to purchase anything unless I was at Saks, in person, with a photo ID. So I guess I won't be able to get the bag from Saks?

It is all extremely confusing to me because now working with two SAs I have had two completely different responses.

Let me PM you my Saks SA. She helped me open both Saks accounts. I always buy remotely from her and never visit that store - ever. I'm sorry your Saks SAs are not helpful. All SAs are very busy right now due to the designer sales.

Last edited:
Let me PM you my Saks SA. She helped me open both Saks accounts. I always buy remotely from her and never visit that store - ever. I'm sorry your Saks SAs are not helpful. All SAs are very busy right now due to the designer sales.
Would you be able to PM it to me as well? Ive been going through the same thing! I am ready to purchase but getting to a boutique is impossible. I just need help with the purchase.

Reactions: kylienarak
Hello!

Have you tried purchasing through Nemians or Nordstrom? I feel like I never have an issue with either store. I am not too knowledgeable about Saks so I am not help there.

best of luck to you! Hope you can get your hands on the denim 19 it is quite gorgeous.