First scratch on my new love bracelet :(

Hi! My hubby just got me a cartier love bracelet for my birthday :yahoo:

I just received it yesterday but already managed to get a deepish scratch on the bottom due to my engagement ring hitting it :wtf::sad:

I know that polishing causes gold to be lost but do you think that they would only polish the small area with the scratch if I take it in? Or should I try to just accept and ignore the scratch? Am I being crazy?View attachment 3787153

Oh, how I wish my bracelet looked like yours...!!!! Even though I am a generally very careful person, wearing my bracelet 24-7 has caused it to have many battle-wounds. The entire surface is covered with fine scratches (like the one in your photo). There are even some small chips at the edges and a few deeper scratches.

I, too, just got my first real scuff (several in one area) :sad:after 3 weeks of having it if I don't count the small scratch I think my husband put near the screw when he was opening it :confused1:.

I knew it would hurt, and I'm trying not to be too crazy about it, and I think I may be succeeding (a little) LOL. Well, I'm not as crazy as I thought I would have been upon my first scratch. I am disappointed because I do try to be so careful - putting a fabric wrist cuff over it while doing housework at home and pushing the bracelet up on my arm, etc.

I may consider the shine treatment, but I'm afraid it takes off gold and perhaps I will just leave it as it's not really deep and many have said it gets better over time. Ugh!

Curious to know when others got their first scratch on their Love....

Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this post. I recently bought a YG Cartier Love Bracelet, which was in pristine condition, but I felt curious about trying on other stuff at the boutique so the day after my purchase I went to a different Cartier boutique (I was shopping around the area) and had an SA remove and put back on my bracelet. In the process of securing it she wasn't careful and the screw slipped and scratched my brand new bracelet. She completely dismissed it and out of shock I immediately called the boutique I had purchased my bracelet from and they said they would fix it that same day.

When I got there they told me not to worry and took my bracelet for the shine/buff service which took around 10 minutes. My actual SA came back with my bracelet looking intact (scratch gone) and screw it back on my arm. I asked if my bracelet had been polished and if the process had removed gold from it, my SA told me it did not and that the person in charge of doing the service had actually shined/buffed brand new pieces that same day because gold jewelry gets superficial scratches all the time with the slightest things.

I figured that when we purchase a Cartier piece we might not even know it, but that piece may have already been shined/buffed/treated since so many people try on their pieces and they can get scratched super easily.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this post. I recently bought a YG Cartier Love Bracelet, which was in pristine condition, but I felt curious about trying on other stuff at the boutique so the day after my purchase I went to a different Cartier boutique (I was shopping around the area) and had an SA remove and put back on my bracelet. In the process of securing it she wasn't careful and the screw slipped and scratched my brand new bracelet. She completely dismissed it and out of shock I immediately called the boutique I had purchased my bracelet from and they said they would fix it that same day.

When I got there they told me not to worry and took my bracelet for the shine/buff service which took around 10 minutes. My actual SA came back with my bracelet looking intact (scratch gone) and screw it back on my arm. I asked if my bracelet had been polished and if the process had removed gold from it, my SA told me it did not and that the person in charge of doing the service had actually shined/buffed brand new pieces that same day because gold jewelry gets superficial scratches all the time with the slightest things.

I figured that when we purchase a Cartier piece we might not even know it, but that piece may have already been shined/buffed/treated since so many people try on their pieces and they can get scratched super easily.

Of course, we would never really know what happens behind the scenes, but I would like to think and think that is not happening as it would be really bad business practice and deceitful.

I think they have 'tester' sizes for people to try on and maybe with those they will rebuff/shine for customers from time to time, but they don't actually sell those 'testers' to you. Their inventory and stock is huge. Whether it be at Tiffany's or Cartier, I've always seen them pull out a new one for me, and also the ones that arrived in the mail looked new also.

Although I have read a story or two where a user said their bracelet arrived in the mail scratched, if that were ever the case, I think it's rare and not normal business practice for them.

Congrats on your new Love and how unfortunate that SA did that to your Love, but at least you got it resolved. In time, you won't even think about it anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilpikachu
The first one always bothers you.... and then there were two... and infinitely many more. They are bound to happen at some point. The only good thing is because there is a scratch,nyou will no longer be too protective and can just enjoy it.
I agree! First scratch is always hard. But after that you’ll get used to it lol

Reactions: CocoHunny