First Purchase... can you help me pick?

ooo

May 4, 2012
This is my first "real" bag purchase, outside of a Coach I bought last year on eBay. I have an inherited 1990s saddle bag Dooney, but never use it-- it's a bit small and heavy. I'm looking at a few bags, and just can't decide. They're all QVC Easy Pay. I probably should try to find a sale, but.. I didn't see any good sales at first glance on bags I like on ILoveDooney, Dillards, or Ebay. $300 is a "big" purchase for me. Sad, but I'm in grad. school. I'm looking for a bag that will last a while and not look too dated.. I'm in my 20s.

I'm debating between 4 bags:

- Dooney & Bourke Florentine Vachetta Small Satchel in Plum
This one is my favorite, as I think it's the prettiest. I like the plum.
This wouldn't fit my iPad very well, and I wonder if this bag just seems too small for daily use. I also wonder if the fold over top part gets irritating to have to keep folding over every time. I prefer the look with the folded top... I don't care for the look with the top part unzipped and straight up.

Comes with nothing.

- Dooney & Bourke Leather Hobo with Logo Lock in Plum
I like the plum, but would that the leather in plum might look a little cheap? The only logo I see it on is on the logo lock. I wonder... does it look "nice" all over? Could it just as easily look like a Target/Walmart back without the logo? Does the logo lock strap get irritating to fasten each time you open the bag? Also, some reviews say the handle strap is short. I have big arms/shoulders and prefer shoulder bags.

I like the coin purse that it comes with... I could use it as a wallet.

- Dooney & Bourke Leather Medium Pocket Satchel in Grape
I really like this one. It was my first choice, but then I wondered... does it look "old/dated/vintage" with the strap? As in, 1990s style or older lady style? It's a pretty bag, I just wonder if it's older and too sophisticated. I'm in my 20s...

The pockets on this bag look the best out of all the bags. The front pocket would be perfect for a phone, and it has an inside pocket for an iPad. Definitely prefer the organization stuff on this one.

I love that it comes with a wristlet and key fob. I don't have a nice wallet/wristlet.

It just looks a bit... dated. Maybe it just reminds me of my relatives 1990s Dooneys. It does look nice... but is it for me?

- Dooney & Bourke Leather Satchel in either Red or Lavender
My 4th choice was a red Dooney & Bourke Leather Satchel. My favorite colors are pink and purple. But, the red sure does look nice on this bag. It's pretty and more modern. The size looks like it would fit enough. Some reviews say it's really heavy and has hard zippers. Some reviews said the shoulder strap rivets break fairly easily.

It comes with a cosmetic case. I might use it as a wallet. I like "free" accessories that come with bags.

I like...
- smooshy, soft leather
- something that can hold: iPad, medium wallet, medium cosmetic case
- not obscenely heavy
- no logo-printed canvas
- mahogany, plum, pinks, maybe red

I have a Coach metallic convertible shopper now. Love it. The leather is so soft and it's held up well for the year I've had it. I'm getting tired of the metallic color... it's kind of a dark bronze color. Coach calls it "gunmetal."

Last edited:
A Dooney is a great way to upgrade your handbag wardrobe!

Before I offer any suggestions, may I ask if you absolutely have to have Easy Pay from the Q? Since you've looked at other sites, it's clear that you know that buying from the Q is one of the more expensive ways to get a Dooney. Unless you really want a Q exclusive bag, there are probably other ways to get exactly what you want.

One other question, do you know the style number of the vintage Dooney you have? Or alternately, can you post a picture of her? Dooney does have a trade in program and we might be able to "guesstimate" how much the bag would be worth if you were willing to trade her in. You didn't mention if the bag has sentimental value to you or not.

Sue

A Dooney is a great way to upgrade your handbag wardrobe!

Before I offer any suggestions, may I ask if you absolutely have to have Easy Pay from the Q? Since you've looked at other sites, it's clear that you know that buying from the Q is one of the more expensive ways to get a Dooney. Unless you really want a Q exclusive bag, there are probably other ways to get exactly what you want.

One other question, do you know the style number of the vintage Dooney you have? Or alternately, can you post a picture of her? Dooney does have a trade in program and we might be able to "guesstimate" how much the bag would be worth if you were willing to trade her in. You didn't mention if the bag has sentimental value to you or not.

Sue

Thanks for the reply...

I don't absolutely need Easy Pay, but I would prefer it if the bag is $200+. Under $200, Easy Pay or not is fine. I think I would prefer Easy Pay on a nicer bag than a more affordable style cash. Easy Pay is just too tempting. :smile: I do prefer QVC just because I get 5% cash back on purchases from them, and I like the no questions asked return policy. Other stores might offer that too... I'm not sure. This one is a toss up, but, if an option, Easy Pay is ideal... but not a must for <$200ish bags. I do greatly prefer new, not used bags... I'm kind of a germ phobe.

Cool about the trade-in program. I didn't know they had one. This one is pretty sentimental, so I'll probably keep it just because of that. It's, I believe, the 1994 saddle bag in black. It is a pretty bag, though a bit small for me... it's kept really well over the years. I'll try to get a picture of it soon.

I wish I could find a matching longer strap for the vintage bag I have. I might use it more with that. It has one short handle.

Last edited:
Do you live near large department stores where you can see/feel/try on the different styles? It's very difficult to choose a bag without having seen them or "test drive" to see how the weight will work for you. The florentine satchel is beautiful, but a bit on the heavy side.

The logo lock is a great bag, very high-end looking...but also heavy. Personally I find the lock on the bag a little cumbersome.

Is the pocket satchel you like the one that was the previous TSV? It's a nice medium size and also a little weighty. You are the only person who can say whether the style suits you or seems too "matronly". :biggrin:

I'm not sure which satchel you mean as your 4th choice?

I will say that if you are used to carrying Coach, most Dooneys will be heavier because of the leathers.

Thanks for the reply...

I don't absolutely need Easy Pay, but I would prefer it if the bag is $200+. Under $200, Easy Pay or not is fine with me. I do prefer QVC just because I get 5% cash back on purchases from them, and I like the no questions asked return policy. This one is a toss up, but, if an option, Easy Pay is ideal... but not a must for $200ish bags. I do greatly prefer new, not used bags... I'm kind of a germ phobe.

Cool about the trade-in program. I didn't know they had one. This one is pretty sentimental, so I'll probably keep it just because of that. It's, I believe, the 1994 saddle bag in black. It is a pretty bag, though a bit small for me... it's kept really well over the years. I'll try to get a picture of it soon.

I wish I could find a matching longer strap for the vintage bag I have. I might use it more with that. It has one short handle.

Okay....no trade in at this time.

Do you live near any of the Dooney outlets or a retail store that carries Dooneys so you can see them in real life? If you can identify the bag that suits your needs, we might be able to help you find a way to order her at a discount. The outlets have 40% off Dillen II styles this month and discounts on other bags as well. You can do returns but not as easily as to the Q. They will ship bags to you at their discount price and charge you only $7.50 for shipping plus tax if your state requires it.

The other thing I would say is that you might prefer a leather like the Dillen II over the Florentine for ease of care. Just my opinion.

The medium Pocket Satchel that you referred to as your #1 choice was very popular as a TSV in November. The style has been freshened since the vintage days. The same silhouette is available in a number of leathers and many people here have the bags. So I would say that this style is not too old fashioned looking. You may just to give that bag a try....as you said, the Q makes returns easy!

Sue

Do you live near large department stores where you can see/feel/try on the different styles? It's very difficult to choose a bag without having seen them or "test drive" to see how the weight will work for you. The florentine satchel is beautiful, but a bit on the heavy side.

The logo lock is a great bag, very high-end looking...but also heavy. Personally I find the lock on the bag a little cumbersome.

Is the pocket satchel you like the one that was the previous TSV? It's a nice medium size and also a little weighty. You are the only person who can say whether the style suits you or seems too "matronly". :biggrin:

I will say that if you are used to carrying Coach, most Dooneys will be heavier because of the leathers.

Hi Sarah!

Do you think an iPad fits into your Dillen II Double Pocket Satchels easily? I only have one bag in that style and she's a suede one so has little structure. I usually carry my iPad in an Editor's tote (middle zipper pocket) when I take it places. I hate just dropping it into a bag even though it's in a case.

I usually just use my iPhone when I'm away from home anyway.

Hope you've been having a fun Sunday!

Sue

OOO, of the 4 choices, I'd pick the 1 first, then the 2nd and then the 4th one.

Have you considered this one
http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=59044

It's a relly nice bag and it comes on plum at $216 right now or $202 at ILD. I have this bag and it's a really nice bag.

or maybe this one? http://www.ilovedooney.com/servlet/the-2902/Dooney-&-Bourke-/Detail

The leather of these is really nice and both of them would fit your stuff.

The plum satchel is still at $149 on I Love Dooneys ebay store!!

Would you carry your iPad in this satchel? I feel like mine doesn't have enough space in my satchels. Of course, I have a lot of stuff in there with it! :roflmfao:

Sue

Would you carry your iPad in this satchel? I feel like mine doesn't have enough space in my satchels. Of course, I have a lot of stuff in there with it! :roflmfao:

Sue

I'd do if I need it. I normally don't carry the ipad out since it's mainly my son who uses it. I'm all day at the computer at work so don't need to carry the ipad. And if I needed anything, I use my phone.

OOO, one more, have you looked at this one?
http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=57723
It's on EZ pay on dooney's site, with free shipping and maybe no tax (depends of the state where you live)

I'm debating between 4 bags:

- Dooney & Bourke Florentine Vachetta Small Satchel in Plum
This is a medium to large bag and will be crowded with your Ipad, being a student, may not be large enough for you, it is a stunning bag, the top does fold down without pushing it.

- Dooney & Bourke Leather Hobo with Logo Lock in Plum
This bag did not work for me, very pretty but don't like to fuss with the lock if leave it open like a tote you don't fold it over stuff will spill out.

- Dooney & Bourke Leather Medium Pocket Satchel in Grape
If this is the one with 2 pocket on the front, it is a beautiful choice but still only a medium to large bag, sophisticated but weighty. You could look into the large Pocket Satchel.

- Dooney & Bourke Leather Satchel in either Red or Lavender
My 4th choice was a red Dooney & Bourke Leather Satchel. My favorite colors are pink and purple. But, the red sure does look nice on this bag. It's pretty and more modern. The size looks like it would fit enough. Some reviews say it's really heavy and has hard zippers. Some reviews said the shoulder strap rivets break fairly easily.
Not sure what bag your talking about you might want to consider some of the fabric bags.

Q prices are at the top of the range for D&B, Have you looked on the D& Bourke home site

I don't... wish I lived near stores to test the bags out. :smile:

I'm glad to hear about the logo lock bag. I worried about the logo lock being tedious... it looks it. It is a cute bag. I usually like hobos.

I think the pocket satchel I like was the previous TSV. It's this one:

attachment.php

I do like style. I guess the tassels just remind me of the 1990s. I once had a tassle leather bag in the 90s, so I guess that's why it reminds me of... matronly style. The bag does look very classy.

And, I love the wristlet it comes with and the pockets it has.

Attachments

• a7511_043.102.jpg
    a7511_043.102.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 631
  • a219864_162.102.jpg
    a219864_162.102.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 305
I'd do if I need it. I normally don't carry the ipad out since it's mainly my son who uses it. I'm all day at the computer at work so don't need to carry the ipad. And if I needed anything, I use my phone.

OOO, one more, have you looked at this one?
http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=57723
It's on EZ pay on dooney's site, with free shipping and maybe no tax (depends of the state where you live)

Oh, the Domed Buckle Satchel is a pretty bag. I usually do go for that style of bag. I've used Liz Claiborne work totes (I forget the name of them) that have a similar shape for years. My ipad, paper folders, everything fits in them. Definitely handy. This Dooney looks about that size. Hm...

Sue

I do like that bag, and I really like the price. I wonder... does it look "plain" in person? I'm a sucker for tassles and trim. The size of this bag looks ideal. So does the price. Oh, man, now I've got more choices. :smile:

Here's the other bag I kind of like.

Part of me things it's too modern or even a little plain.

But, I also like that it's more modern.

It seems to be very spacious.

The red with the light trim sure is striking.

I would prefer that it came with a wristlet instead of a cosmetic case and key fob, but I do like the extra goodies that come with it.

Attachments

• a202338_172.102.jpg
    a202338_172.102.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 313