Which Rolex?

Thank you for all you replies :smile: yes I kinda like the champagne one also better, but I'm afraid because I read somewhere after some time the time will be harder to read than on a black dial.

I recently saw this one too that I liked a lot. I loved the clear lunette about that one! What do you think? It's also 26mm.

Do you think I should go for practical reasons (black dial, less shiny and probably better for everyday wearing), or should I follow my heart and get the one I fell in love with (champagne dial, first one), even if it might be harder to read, I might have to change the crystal and will be extremely shiny for everyday outfits?
IMG_1495356036.927969.jpg
IMG_1495356063.636908.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1495356027.210597.jpg
    IMG_1495356027.210597.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 571
I have the top one..champagne president/diamonds...... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.....the black face is beautiful too, as it really stands out and you said you love bling...m,y champagne is more neutral so I sometimes stack it with a yurman cuff with diamonds and its not too busy....

I have the top one..champagne president/diamonds...... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.....the black face is beautiful too, as it really stands out and you said you love bling...m,y champagne is more neutral so I sometimes stack it with a yurman cuff with diamonds and its not too busy....
I agree Horse...the champagne/diamond looks more modern and not as fussy. Neutral is the perfect description. I love a bracelet with my watch and the
champagne could easily be paired with a bracelet.
Love to see a pick of your Rolex with the Yurman diamond cuff! Might help the OP decide :smile::smile::smile::smile:

I like the last one as well, although it has a black dial (which I do not care for). Guess that the lack of distracting diamonds and the clean look of the oyster band makes this luxurious all-gold watch very becoming and sophisticated.

Since this is your first Rolex, you may want to "invest" in (meaning better use of your money) an everyday, brand new one from an authorized dealer instead of a dressy and flashy preowned one. For me, I would get a larger size 31-mm (not too small, and not too big), Roman numeral marking, and MOP dial (to give a pop). After you try out your first everyday Rolex watch, then you can decide if you want to explore a more expensive, luxurious looking (all gold with diamonds) Rolex that is worn only for special occasions (unless you get to be as old as I).

Although Rolex watches appeal to me in appearance and popularity, I frown upon its high maintenance (requires regular service) and inability to keep time accurately (requires constant winding or wear). Thus, I would think twice before spending money on a watch that I do not wear often.

Agree 100% with horse17 and skyqueen about pairing the watch with bracelets. For everyday wear, pair with a love bracelet. For fancier occasions, pair with diamond bracelet/cuff/bangle. Thus, choosing a neutral watch allows flexibility.

Reactions: horse17
Agree 100% with horse17 and skyqueen about pairing the watch with bracelets. For everyday wear, pair with a love bracelet. For fancier occasions, pair with diamond bracelet/cuff/bangle. Thus, choosing a neutral watch allows flexibility.
Definitely ....my yurman cuff is citrine and diamonds so really easy to put together without being busy

I am also contemplating buying a Rolex (pre-loved, no bling) and want to ask--is there a preference of bracelet styles? I am leaning towards Jubilee but it seems the links stretch out. And I also want a face that is easy to read at a glance--no gold hands on gold face.

Earlier this year I spent a lot of time looking at pre-owned all gold Rolex watches in the 26mm size. (I already own two more casual Rolexes so this new one was going to be a dressy watch.) The more I learned, the less attractive going pre-owned became to me. I found so many of the watches with jubilee bracelets had stretched. Also, so many dealers were so very vague about the age of the watches they were selling. (What do you mean you can't tell me what year the watch was made? They looked at me like I was crazy for asking.) I finally went out and read about the markings and serial numbers and realized that several I had been considering were from the late 80's and early 90's. That would be OK but the prices seemed pretty crazy given that the watches were maybe 25+ years old and in some cases the jubilee links were hollow and not solid as they are now. (Again, no jeweler/dealer ever pointed out that Rolex made the links hollow in the past.) It was an excellent exercise though I ended up not buying one at all lol!

Youngster, I feel the same way as you about preowned Rolex watches. Rolex watches are the few items that I prefer not buying preowned (exception is that I know the owner well and know the history of the watch), but to buy new from authorized dealers. For one thing, there is no telling (unless you are watch mechanics) if any of the parts external or internal are original or genuinely Rolex. Second thing is the unknown age, and thus the amount of tuneup/maintenance/services needed. Regular maintenance is expensive (especially when you add the round trip shipping cost), and every detail adds up. Lastly, I want the convenience and peace of mind being able to go back to the accountable authorized dealer for any problems and additional services.

I am also like you in that I concluded not to pursue an all-gold or all-diamond Rolex (due to the above mentioned concerns with preowned watches and high price buying from AD).

Reactions: youngster
I am also like you in that I concluded not to pursue an all-gold or all-diamond Rolex (due to the above mentioned concerns with preowned watches and high price buying from AD).

I understand and I was worried about that as well, not knowing the history of a watch in detail and that some of the parts used might not be authentic. (I forgot about the regular maintenance issue though and how expensive on-going maintenace can be with a Rolex, especially one with an unknown history! Thanks for that reminder.)

I also could not justify a brand new one from an AD either. It was going to be one watch in my rotation and maybe only be worn 1 - 2 times per week. It was still fun to try them on and I did learn a lot in the process.

I hear you. I was set on a larger watch, but a sporty one. Originally I was looking at the new 37mm yachtmaster and the 36mm pink wave dial. However, once I saw the meteorite I couldn't pass it up. I currently wear a 27mm sport Tag Heuer, so the 31mm will be a good size increase. Plus, I posted this same question on The Rolex Forum which is mostly men and all but one chose the meteorite. My husband likes both, but thinks the 36mm looks too big on my wrist. My plan is to buy a 39mm Omega as a weekend beater and use the Rolex during the week.
View attachment 3644976

I had the same debate between the 31 and 36. I initially wanted the 36 but my husband didn't like the look of it either. I currently have a 26 Rolex and am also not used to the bulk. I came to agree after a few pictures and lifestyle consideration that the 36 was just too bulky for me. The largest watch I wear is my Michele diamond deco and I even find myself at times taking it off in the office while working. Good luck with the decision but I prefer the 31 on you.