First (pre-owned) Rolex, which one would you choose?

veneti

Pocketbook Queen ;)
Feb 16, 2012
germany
IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0043.jpg IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0046.jpg I want to buy my first gold Rolex watch. I have a few everyday watches (laks, mk, kate spade, apple, ...), not really high luxury ones, and my gold Chanel premiere H3259 that I am wearing on special days.
so I am carefully considering in which Rolex I want to invest. I love a lot of bling everyday and everywhere, and I would like to wear my Rolex everyday.
Since the prices on Rolex.com unfortunately are way out of my budget I was deciding to look for a pre-owned one.
Now I'm choosing between those two models that really caught my attention on the pre-owned market, both 26mm.
Which one would you suggest? I am completely new to Rolex and every advice will be much appreciated. Thanks so much :smile:
yg Datejust Oyster champagne
yg Datejust President black

Last edited:

TNgypsy

Feb 26, 2015
Champagne w/ the oyster band. I currently have a Rolex with the oyster band. It's my favorite band. I prefer the lighter face over the black as well. The gold on the champagne watch doesn't look as bright as the other. The Champagne with the oyster band is stunning.

Oct 17, 2006
My vote is for the first one. It is cleaner and more elegant looking. I am not a fan of dark color dial. The combination of black dial, extra diamonds at the base of casing, and the jubilee band is just too busy for a luxury look watch (all gold with diamonds).

Reactions: chessmont

pjhm

Oct 10, 2014
San Fran Bay Area
If u buy the first one have the crystal replaced -its way too blurry, otherwise I'd buy the black dialed one, its gorgeous and crystal is clear as a bell!

Reactions: Kelly M

veneti

Pocketbook Queen ;)
Feb 16, 2012
germany
Thank you for all you replies :smile: yes I kinda like the champagne one also better, but I'm afraid because I read somewhere after some time the time will be harder to read than on a black dial.

I recently saw this one too that I liked a lot. I loved the clear lunette about that one! What do you think? It's also 26mm.

Do you think I should go for practical reasons (black dial, less shiny and probably better for everyday wearing), or should I follow my heart and get the one I fell in love with (champagne dial, first one), even if it might be harder to read, I might have to change the crystal and will be extremely shiny for everyday outfits?
IMG_1495356036.927969.jpg
IMG_1495356063.636908.jpg

Attachments

horse17

Little princess
Jan 25, 2012
I have the top one..champagne president/diamonds...... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.....the black face is beautiful too, as it really stands out and you said you love bling...m,y champagne is more neutral so I sometimes stack it with a yurman cuff with diamonds and its not too busy....

skyqueen

O.G.
Aug 5, 2007
I have the top one..champagne president/diamonds...... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.....the black face is beautiful too, as it really stands out and you said you love bling...m,y champagne is more neutral so I sometimes stack it with a yurman cuff with diamonds and its not too busy....
I agree Horse...the champagne/diamond looks more modern and not as fussy. Neutral is the perfect description. I love a bracelet with my watch and the
champagne could easily be paired with a bracelet.
Love to see a pick of your Rolex with the Yurman diamond cuff! Might help the OP decide :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Oct 17, 2006
I like the last one as well, although it has a black dial (which I do not care for). Guess that the lack of distracting diamonds and the clean look of the oyster band makes this luxurious all-gold watch very becoming and sophisticated.

Since this is your first Rolex, you may want to "invest" in (meaning better use of your money) an everyday, brand new one from an authorized dealer instead of a dressy and flashy preowned one. For me, I would get a larger size 31-mm (not too small, and not too big), Roman numeral marking, and MOP dial (to give a pop). After you try out your first everyday Rolex watch, then you can decide if you want to explore a more expensive, luxurious looking (all gold with diamonds) Rolex that is worn only for special occasions (unless you get to be as old as I).

Although Rolex watches appeal to me in appearance and popularity, I frown upon its high maintenance (requires regular service) and inability to keep time accurately (requires constant winding or wear). Thus, I would think twice before spending money on a watch that I do not wear often.

Oct 17, 2006
Agree 100% with horse17 and skyqueen about pairing the watch with bracelets. For everyday wear, pair with a love bracelet. For fancier occasions, pair with diamond bracelet/cuff/bangle. Thus, choosing a neutral watch allows flexibility.

Reactions: horse17

horse17

Little princess
Jan 25, 2012
Agree 100% with horse17 and skyqueen about pairing the watch with bracelets. For everyday wear, pair with a love bracelet. For fancier occasions, pair with diamond bracelet/cuff/bangle. Thus, choosing a neutral watch allows flexibility.
Definitely ....my yurman cuff is citrine and diamonds so really easy to put together without being busy