What should I pick as my first LV?

• Speedy 30 DE

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Duomo Crossbody

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 512003

I know, I know, another help me decide its my first LV thread. I just have been sitting on this one for months and can't figure it out. I recently really fell for the DE print, and I really like the weatherproof quality of it. I would ideally like only one in that print, but I have serious trouble deciding. To me DE bags are a casual style, I don't like shoulder bags with handles on them, too, I love a good crossbody/shoulder bag, but something about the Speedy also gets me. I don't really know which one to choose. I narrowed my choice to a classic Speedy and a Duomo Crossbody.

The Speedy is a classic, it will be around forever. It is very affordable for a Louis Vuitton bag. I don't really mind a handheld bag, although I already have one in my current collection, and a good cross body is what I am missing. I really love the shape of it when it sags, I love the interior, I think the handles are cute. I usually don't get the piece everyone else has, but with the classic Speedy in DE there is something about it, that makes me forget what I usually do.

The Duomo would be the more logical choice. It is the bag that is missing from my collection, fits just as much as a Speedy 30 and actually allows me to go handsfree, which I do appreciate most of the time (I'll do handheld, too, but cross body is just more careless). However it costs over 400 € more than a classic speedy for the same amount of bag if you will, and I have trouble justifying that, if I could be as happy with a Speedy. On the other hand, it's the bag that makes more sense, and the nice part is that it is a classic print and a timeless piece, but not on everyone. I don't know. I like the style, too, except I might find it a bit too square. I need to see it on myself though. I love the casual look of it, that is yet timeless and classy, and a clean style.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments are very much appreciated!

I have both styles. I sold my DE Speedy B 25 but I have a Mono. I have the Classic Speedy 30 in all 3 canvas prints. I got the Duomo crossbody for Christmas and I love that bag! For me the DE Speedy strap wasn't really comfortable, the Duomo is fine as is the Bloomsbury. The size of the Duomo is great and things don't get lost in it like they do in the Speedy. It lays really nice against the body as well. It's such a hard choice! The price of the Duomo is something to consider...you could get a Keepall lol! I was fine with it because I was exchanging a Mini Palm Springs backpack that the SA talked my husband into...now that I could not justify the price for!!!

Reactions: LegalAddict
I have both styles. I sold my DE Speedy B 25 but I have a Mono. I have the Classic Speedy 30 in all 3 canvas prints. I got the Duomo crossbody for Christmas and I love that bag! For me the DE Speedy strap wasn't really comfortable, the Duomo is fine as is the Bloomsbury. The size of the Duomo is great and things don't get lost in it like they do in the Speedy. It lays really nice against the body as well. It's such a hard choice! The price of the Duomo is something to consider...you could get a Keepall lol! I was fine with it because I was exchanging a Mini Palm Springs backpack that the SA talked my husband into...now that I could not justify the price for!!!

Lol, you're right. It's almost the same as a Keepall with shoulder straps.... never thought about that. :smile: Congratulations on your beautiful collection! I'm glad to hear that you love your new Duomo. :smile: The things you said about it made me want it more. I love a bag to slouch against my frame and mold against it, I also prefer my things not to get lost in there.

I would want my bag to be the bad weather go to bag, the I don't have to worry about leather in the rain or snow bag, the I can take her anywhere casual and still look decent bag, the casual yet not too, too casual, still classy looking bag (for some reason those don't really look good on me, like the Speedy B, love the look on others, hate it on myself). I want an LV that isn't too structured, and looks effortless. Ahh... decisions, decisions...

I have both and love them it's hard to pick only one because they both are so different ! I voted for the speedy B only because it can be worn different ways ! The Duomo is a hobo and a very light comfortable one and it's a great bag it's also made very well .. it really depends on if you are in need of a hand held / crossbody bag then buy speedy ! If you don't need another crissbody than I'd go hobo !

I love my Duomo crossbody, it is so light, and fits up against me, not in the way. It is a perfect size too. I love the hand free ease of a crossbody. I sold my speedy , I know it is a true classic, and the duomo not as well known. Does that matter to you?

Thank you for the input everyone!
I have both and love them it's hard to pick only one because they both are so different ! I voted for the speedy B only because it can be worn different ways ! The Duomo is a hobo and a very light comfortable one and it's a great bag it's also made very well .. it really depends on if you are in need of a hand held / crossbody bag then buy speedy ! If you don't need another crissbody than I'd go hobo !
The bags I am contemplating between are actually the classic speedy:
http://fr.louisvuitton.com/fra-fr/produits/speedy-30-damier-ebene-008788
and the Duomo crossbody:
http://fr.louisvuitton.com/fra-fr/produits/duomo-damier-ebene-012058
I am not considering Speedy B or Duomo Hobo. Sorry, I think my post was unclear. Congratulations on your beautiful bags though! They might not be right for me, but they really are gorgeous pieces!

I love my Duomo crossbody, it is so light, and fits up against me, not in the way. It is a perfect size too. I love the hand free ease of a crossbody. I sold my speedy , I know it is a true classic, and the duomo not as well known. Does that matter to you?
Nope, not really. I guess there is something about the history of the speedy and the timelessness. It will be always around. To be honest, I don't really like that the speedy is so recognisable LV, I like off-products. Of course, even DE is quite flashy, but I am so in love with the design, and red interior that I am completely suppressing my feelings about flashy designs. I will get the history of LV with any LV product, really. Congratulations on your beautiful Duomo! I'm really glad to hear you like it!

Do you have any mod shots?
Unfortunately, I don't. No store in my city and I haven't been to a city with a store in a while. :/ I still have a few months to decide, so maybe I will manage to get to try them on before deciding.

I love my Duomo crossbody! It holds so much, lays close to the body, and the strap is very comfortable, not stiff like the older DE straps. I've also had a speedy b, and yes, it was and is a classic, but I found I liked it better as a hand held bag than when I used it crossbody because it stuck out quite a bit and got in my way. Honestly, you cannot go wrong either way. It's probably just a matter of which one is more comfortable for you and which functions better for you. They are both great choices!

I would go for the duomo then. I think you will like the long strap option and being able to go hands free when shopping over having to hand carry all the time. When I got my first speedy ( a speedy b) I tried putting all of my stuff in it and carrying it in the crook of my arm through target. About half way through the store I stopped and put the shoulder strap in it. I think the duomo is very classy looking.

Thank you for the input and advice! I appreciate it a lot!

I love my Duomo crossbody! It holds so much, lays close to the body, and the strap is very comfortable, not stiff like the older DE straps. I've also had a speedy b, and yes, it was and is a classic, but I found I liked it better as a hand held bag than when I used it crossbody because it stuck out quite a bit and got in my way. Honestly, you cannot go wrong either way. It's probably just a matter of which one is more comfortable for you and which functions better for you. They are both great choices!
Congratulations on your beautiful Duomo! :smile: I was smiling when I read the part about the Speedy B, I can see myself feeling the same way about it. That's why I would only go for the classic. I actually have a leather satchel with a shoulder strap and I've had it for a few months now and every time I carried it, I had the shoulder strap inside the bag and have only hand carried it. I did notice though that I don't always carry it even though I could. Maybe it's because it's a light color and I am afraid of ruining the leather in snow and rain, but maybe it being handheld has something to do with it. I don't know what it is completely though. I think the Duomo fits my lifestyle better, it's just that I lust over the look of a sagging speedy in DE, the casual effortlessness of it, the softness, the way it somehow magically matches women carrying it, the feminine look of it, the handles look so beautiful, I think it's a really harmonic bag, especially if its worn in and not overstuffed. But I can also see myself getting frustrated at it being handheld only, I actually am more of a crossbody or tote bag type of girl, even though I have been fine with my satchel whenever I carried it so far.

I would go for the duomo then. I think you will like the long strap option and being able to go hands free when shopping over having to hand carry all the time. When I got my first speedy ( a speedy b) I tried putting all of my stuff in it and carrying it in the crook of my arm through target. About half way through the store I stopped and put the shoulder strap in it. I think the duomo is very classy looking.
Congratulations on your beautiful bags! :smile: Bags can get quite heavy, so handheld is maybe not the most practical. You're totally right. Thank you for sharing your experience, I sometimes forget that I actually will end up using my bag and not just looking at it :smile:

At everyone: The general recommendation seems to be Duomo. One thing I just thought of (no idea why this question never crossed my mind in the past months while I was trying to decide): Will the Duomo fit my style? I usually wear skinny or straight jeans, solid tops, flowy long cardigans, heels, and girly cat eye sunglasses. My figure is on the curvy side and I like to play that up. Will the Duomo match in your opinion? Or will it look weird because it has such a straight line? Out of interest, I know this isn't the bag that's meant for it, but in case of rain, could it be one that would also look ok with a wrap dress and sandals? Maybe this question sounds super weird, then I'm sorry. It just came across my mind "would it fit my style/frame"? Also for reference, I am 5'7, 130 lbs. I know the best way would be to try it on, but I am curious, and the store is far away.

If it was the speedy b -100% that. I found the duomo to be too big.. It stuck out far on me (I'm quite a bit shorter than you though). If it's the regular speedy though, I say the duomo. The speedy b is just incredibly versatile. I love mine. I also have the Bloomsbury and love that too. Fairly feminine for a crossbody. Not sure I helped at all, sorry :/

If it was the speedy b -100% that. I found the duomo to be too big.. It stuck out far on me (I'm quite a bit shorter than you though). If it's the regular speedy though, I say the duomo. The speedy b is just incredibly versatile. I love mine. I also have the Bloomsbury and love that too. Fairly feminine for a crossbody. Not sure I helped at all, sorry :/
Thank you for your input! You did help, thanks a lot! It helps to also hear why people didn't like certain bags. Congratulations on your Speedy B and Bloomsbury! They're both beautiful, and I love the look of them on others. For some reason, bags with handles and shoulder strap never look quite right on me. At some point I was head over heals in love with the Burberry Banner tote, but when I tried it on in store both me and the SA just stood there, looked at each other, shook our heads, and said "no". With the Bloomsbury, I was also considering it, I was afraid it could be a little too flat, do you find that at all? I usually cary my sunglasses case, which is twice as wide the the official measurement of the Bloomsbury, and I want to get a LV cosmetic case, which is also wide, and have the chance to fit a paperback in. I am kind of afraid of having the same effect with the Duomo as I had with the Burberry Banner, since the measurements are similar.

My duomo is my most used bag currently and I wear it with anything. I tend to lean towards crossbody bags and would recommend it. It can hold more than most crossbody bags without feeling heavy for me. Whatever you do decide on, please keep us updated.