First Lanvin-Triple Bow Pump

Oct 23, 2006
I received my first Lanvin's the other day...the beautiful triple bow pumps. Very elegant…exquisite!!! :cloud9: Unfortunately, they are a wee bit small.

When I ordered them, the website, Barney's, advertised the shoe as a US size 9. Well, I am a US size 9!!! When I received the shoe, the bottom showed an Italian size 39!!!!!!:wtf: I am usually a European size 40 / 40.5. So, I was not happy at all.

I feel if the shoe comes in a European size, then they should advertise the shoe in a European size, not in US sizes.

So, of course I had to write a letter to Customer Service!!! Anyway...

Luckily the shoe zips, but a bit tight where the straps are....so I am going to have to get them stretched…I can’t even fathom returning them!!!!

Plus it was a lot of work to order them / deliver them to Germany (they wouldn't accept my military address on my credit card...even though it is a US address...and they don't ship international). It took over a month and 5 tries with my credit card to be accepted (I had to change the billing address to my parent's address in the states).

So, it is definitely worth keeping them!!!!!!! I can't wait to get them stretched so that I can finally wear them!!!!

Attachments

• P7300249.JPG
    P7300249.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 199
  • P7300250.JPG
    P7300250.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 171
  • P7300251.JPG
    P7300251.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 192
  • P7300253.JPG
    P7300253.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Lanvin Triple Bow Pump.JPG
    Lanvin Triple Bow Pump.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 154
Lovely. And the sizing issue is weird, I hope they contact you and give you some information and possibly something for free! :biggrin:

Thanks. I doubt they will write. I have already written customer service about the credit card issue. I understand if they don't ship to Germany, but I don't understand how come they can't accept my address.

They say they don't accept international credit cards either...but my bank is in Florida and my address is considered a US address.

I can shop at other stores with my current billing address...even if they won't ship here.

So, yeah, that was over a month ago...and I have not heard anything.

But even if they don't write me...I did suggest that they advertise the shoe size by what is on the sole of the shoe. For instance Net-A-Porter advertises shoes that way. If it is an Italian shoe size...they put IT - 41, etc. That is the way it should be. Can't confuse customers that way. So, maybe one day I will go on the Barney's site and see that they changed the way they show shoe sizes!!!

The size conversion they have done is correct. A US 9 is a European 39 as American sizing was based on European but knocking off the first digit.

If you wear an Italian 40 then you should be buying a US 10

The shoes are beautiful BTW!

The size conversion they have done is correct. A US 9 is a European 39 as American sizing was based on European but knocking off the first digit.

Mooks, I have never worn a US 10 in my life. Only 9. So, maybe my foot is off with the European sizing...but I wear a US 9 and a European 40 / 40.5. I still believe they should advertise what is on the bottom of the shoe...that way I know I would have been getting a 39, and therefore, would have not ordered the shoe. Lesson learned...just don't order shoes from Barneys...it is too much of a hassle anyway, being that I live overseas.

Moots, thanks for the beautiful shoe comment!!!

Looking at the Barney's chart: US - 9 , FR - 40, IT - 39
Doing some research I found that determining shoe sizes is a little bit more complicated than just dropping the first number. According to Wikipedia:

The Continental European system is used in France, Germany, Italy and Spain and most other continental European countries.

In this system, the shoe size is the length of the last, expressed in Paris points, for both genders and for adults and children alike. Because a Paris point is ⅔ of a centimetre and it has been agreed upon that the last is the length of the foot plus two centimetres. (There is a formula shown here, but it won't copy here...so here is the website....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size)

Systems are not fully standardized. Differences between shoes from different makers, which are due to different methods of measuring the shoes, different manufacturing processes, or different allowances are sometimes related to different countries. A “German” size may then differ from a “French” size, although both countries use the Continental European system.

Further, some tables available on the Web simply contain errors. For example, the wiggle room or different zero point is not taken into account, or tables based on different U.S. systems (traditional and athletic) are simply combined although they are incompatible.

Last edited: