First jewelry memory

sneedonist

Apr 26, 2016
Ontario, Canada
What is your first *fine/designer* jewelry memory? I ask because my daughter (turning 9) has asked for a locket necklace. She bought one from Claire’s/Icing and it broke. So I was thinking I’d buy one that is real gold. I’d like it to be memorable if I do. Also wondering if people wear locket necklaces as adults or is it more of a kid/young interest?

Reactions: Style_Baby
Oct 31, 2011
I got a very cute little enameled gold ladybug pendant on a gold box chain when I was maybe 6? I remember wearing it for a concert (Beethoven's 5th) I went to with my dad (my mom was supposed to go but got sick). I wore red velvet pants and tunic (kind of formal outfit when you're 6, I guess) and the locket. I felt so elegant! I still have it but I don't think I ever really wore it again (no wearing real jewelry when I was a kid).

I never had a locket though.

Nov 12, 2009
I wasn't gifted gold jewellery as a child to wear. The assumption was that it'll get lost. Unless if they're in their teens...My friend had a 22k gold chain gifted to her by her father, but she got into a big fight with her parents and threw it somewhere. She regrets it as an adult. I dreamed of having a locket as a kid but it's not something I want as an adult. I'm sure it'll be treasured later in life.

My first piece of gold jewellery was the white gold and diamond studs gifted to me by my aunt for my 18th birthday. I still wear them.

Reactions: sneedonist

etudes

May 9, 2014
07CC9CA6-A4D5-470D-8495-5C7C49B9F48F.jpeg
I still have some gold jewelry from my childhood, most of them are in the safe. I only keep cross pendant and this ring on rotation, though. I used to wear this ring everyday, nowadays I can only wear it on my pinky. If you buy the locket, just make sure the chain (especially the clasp) is sturdy.

anncatd

Jul 20, 2017
I have lockets from my paternal great grandmother, and both grandmothers, and my mother. Lockets certainly were in style for a period! I wear them regularly, especially my paternal grandmother, as I was very close to her. I inherited them as an adult, and knew how precious they are, but I wouldn't give anything too precious to a child. If you do go with a locket, get a style besides a heart. My favorites are not heart shaped, but ovals and circles.

Vintage Leather

Bag Lady
O.G.
Jan 30, 2007
Arête Cottage
My first fine jewelry was my baby ring!

I did have a few gold pieces as a child; including a pair of 14k gold Daisy Duck earrings that I still own. And a Tiffany sterling Scotty dog necklace. I’m showing my age here, but they really weren’t that expensive or precious (gold was around $200 a Troy oz, we bought the earrings at Disneyland for $20)

They weren’t for wearing to school or anywhere they might be abused. My mother still talks about how devastated she was when she lost a stone out of a birthstone ring as a child; losing something precious hurts more when you’re that age and haven’t yet mastered the Art of Losing. Instead, we made an occasion of putting them on.

As a child, plastic and steel pieces lived in my jewelry box. My gold and silver pieces had their own box in my parents room.

leechiyong

Sep 3, 2013
My grandmother gave me a gold necklace when I was around your daughter’s age. My great aunt had brought it with her while visiting my grandmother and it’s made of solid Alaskan gold. I remember my motherbeing It’s a piece I still have and incredibly sentimental to me. Even as an adult, I reserve it for special occasions and rarely wear it.

Feb 26, 2006
WI, USA
Even though we weren’t wealthy, my mother didn’t really want me wearing cheap costume jewelry. It turned out that I am allergic to the stuff anyway. I got my ears pierced at age four, and my first pair of earrings were 14k gold double heart studs. Also, in my kindergarten picture, my mother let me wear a pair of her gold studs. They were diamond shaped with small rubies in the center. I felt so pretty and grown up wearing my mom’s earrings. :hugs:
I have a Monica Rich Kosann locket that I wear, so it’s definitely not just a kid thing. Lockets are wonderful.

Reactions: ulla and sneedonist

Jem131

Choose Kindness
Dec 18, 2015
USA
What is your first *fine/designer* jewelry memory? I ask because my daughter (turning 9) has asked for a locket necklace. She bought one from Claire’s/Icing and it broke. So I was thinking I’d buy one that is real gold. I’d like it to be memorable if I do. Also wondering if people wear locket necklaces as adults or is it more of a kid/young interest?
I am a long way from 9 and have loved lockets my entire life. I think they’re timeless and wear them often.

Jem131

Choose Kindness
Dec 18, 2015
USA
My love affair with jewelry began at the age of 5 when I’d play dress up while organizing my mom’s jewelry boxes. I received my first special piece, a 14k rose ring with diamonds, at the age of 11 then gifted it to my daughter many years later as her confirmation name was “Rose”. Hopefully I’ll someday have a granddaughter who will wear it too.❤

Jem131

Choose Kindness
Dec 18, 2015
USA
My love affair with jewelry began at the age of 5 when I’d play dress up while organizing my mom’s jewelry boxes. I received my first special piece, a 14k rose ring with diamonds, at the age of 11 then gifted it to my daughter many years later as her confirmation name was “Rose”. When she began wearing jewelry, she’d occasionally buy costume but I always stressed the importance of buying good jewelry once rather than cheap jewelry 10 times. Now hoping I’ll someday have a granddaughter who will wear my rose ring too.❤

Jem131

Choose Kindness
Dec 18, 2015
USA
I am a long way from 9 and have loved lockets my entire life. I think they’re timeless and wear them often.
For adults they often look so pretty on long chains unless they’re delicate and need to be worn a bit closer to your heart!

Cunie

Aug 5, 2015
Seattle
One of my first pieces of real” jewelry was a gold round locket that my dad gave to me for my birthday. I think I must have been around 11 or so. I loved it but I honestly can’t tell you what happened to it. I think I either gave it to my sister or she pilfered it from my jewelry box when I moved away for college. I had other small items that were “real” that I received around that age - a tiny pair of gold hoops with a diamond chip from my mom on Valentine’s Day and a small ruby pendant my parents picked up on vacation. They were cute and age appropriate.

But I specifically asked for the locket and not those other things and my dad picked it out — about an inch round with a non-floral pattern. Actually was real gold, adult jewelry, and had kind of a midcentury feeling to it, thinking about it now. I wore it every day until I didn’t.

I was thinking about the locket recently, actually, and looked online to see if there was something similar so it’s serendipitous to see your post here.

mrs moulds

Just living my life
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
My first fine jewelry was my baby ring!

I did have a few gold pieces as a child; including a pair of 14k gold Daisy Duck earrings that I still own. And a Tiffany sterling Scotty dog necklace. I’m showing my age here, but they really weren’t that expensive or precious (gold was around $200 a Troy oz, we bought the earrings at Disneyland for $20)

They weren’t for wearing to school or anywhere they might be abused. My mother still talks about how devastated she was when she lost a stone out of a birthstone ring as a child; losing something precious hurts more when you’re that age and haven’t yet mastered the Art of Losing. Instead, we made an occasion of putting them on.

As a child, plastic and steel pieces lived in my jewelry box. My gold and silver pieces had their own box in my parents room.
Oh my gosh! My first jewelry experience was 14k gold Mickey Mouse earrings that were on gold wires from Disneyland. I wish I knew how special they were back then.