first "IT" bag?

I agree actually. I think that was really the first time people started getting into the concept of the IT bag.

And I don't agree that IT bags have to be somehow affordable by alot of women. Most of the IT bags have been in a price range that the average American can't afford without maxing out a credit card or going into a little debt. I think that is part of the allure of the IT bag if you want to know the truth...the lack of affordability. How many IT bags have you seen by Coach? Most of the IT bags are from the premium luxury designers like Hermes, Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Marc Jacobs, etc.
Yes but they are knocked off and faked so anyone can have the IT bag hanging from thier arm. I agree the frenzy kicked up heat when SATC started , how many ppl had heard of manolos or jimmy choo before that show out side of us fashion feinds?

Yes but they are knocked off and faked so anyone can have the IT bag hanging from thier arm. I agree the frenzy kicked up heat when SATC started , how many ppl had heard of manolos or jimmy choo before that show out side of us fashion feinds?
If you have a fake bag, then it's still not an IT bag because it isn't the real thing.

I disagree, the 'it' to me is I gotta have 'it'....and 'it' is the actually bag, not a similar one, but 'it'.

The Kelly was def. noticed and liked and is very iconic, but not just available (then) to mass America.

While I agree that most 'it' bags are high end deisgners, Coach did have the dot line, esp. the tote that did make 'it' status.

What part are you actually disagreeing with? What I said about Coach or something else? And being available has nothing to do with IT status. Many IT bags are not readily available. There may be long waiting lists and things like that. Besides affordability, lack of availibility I think also can assist in pushing a bag to IT status. People are more inclined to want what they can't have.

As for the kelly, that definitely WAS an IT bag. I believe that is what really introduced more people to Hermes, when they saw her photographed with the kelly hiding her pregnant belly.

What part are you actually disagreeing with? What I said about Coach or something else? And being available has nothing to do with IT status. Many IT bags are not readily available. There may be long waiting lists and things like that. Besides affordability, lack of availibility I think also can assist in pushing a bag to IT status. People are more inclined to want what they can't have.

As for the kelly, that definitely WAS an IT bag. I believe that is what really introduced more people to Hermes, when they saw her photographed with the kelly hiding her pregnant belly.

I agree that lack of availablity can help push a bag, but the difference is that women now, want the actual bag....not something similar.

I see your point about the Kelly....but the reason I don't think it was an 'it' bag was at that point in time, most American women didn't care about having that exact bag....they were happy with something similar, as long as it was close.

My point about coach is, that it has had it bags.

Really, it is all symantics...each bag that has peaked intrest has promoted the whole 'it' concept....

I see your point about the Kelly....but the reason I don't think it was an 'it' bag was at that point in time, most American women didn't care about having that exact bag....they were happy with something similar, as long as it was close.
Yeah, but in that case, they still wanted a kelly. They may not have wanted the exact specs she had, but they wanted a kelly. From Hermes.
I saw an article somwhere about how sales rose a great deal after she was photographed with that bag.

As for Coach, I guess I don't follow the history enough because I've never seen an IT bag from Coach.