First Hermes petit h/preloved

sonicxml

May 1, 2015
Hello H lovers,
I am pretty new to hermes, purchased some silk as gifts and own a calvi card holder, and I am interested in purchasing my first h bag. My dream bag is kelly 25/28 or kelly pochette however it is currently beyond my budget and does not quite fit my current lifestyle.
Recently I came across this petit h tote on US website and I really like the print combination, however my understanding is that all petit h items are of random colors/patterns so the item I received won't necessarily be the one shown. I have a good friend who will travel to Paris but I heard that the petit h stock in store is pretty much random as well.
petith.PNG
On the other hand I have always intrigued by the 'rare' materials Hermes offers so I am also considering a preloved bag in crinoline or vibrato. I was wondering if any one has experience with these pieces.
market.PNG
vibrato.PNG
So my questions are:
- Does anyone have this petit h tote? Is it a practical piece? Did you order online or in store?
- Which one is more durable, crinoline or vibrato? Any pros/cons with these two materials that I should be aware of, especially buying preloved?
Thank you so much for your help!

Look at the return policy for h.com in your country.
If it is simple and free, you should have no fears about buying something that you do not like when you see it for real.
Although I don't like the idea of encouraging people to buy more with the idea of returning rather than keeping, this option could give you the confidence to try.

When it becomes within budget, if a Kelly does not fit your lifestyle - wipe it out of your mind and do not try to convince yourself otherwise. There will be other easier to acquire Hermes options.

Vibrato is very attractive. I recently acquired a Deauville tote and the vibrato is still perfect.

I have been eyeing the petit h tote myself and think it is beautiful! H is so much more than B/K, and what I like about petit h is that you literally don´t know what you will get (style yes but colors no). And often Hermès surprises us with color combinations that seem completely off in the beginning but turn out to be perfect for everyday use.

You may find a smaller much loved Rerturne K for a good price someday so don't give up.

Meawhile

Vibrato is suede, so in darker colours fairly hardy but still not a rough and tumble bag. The reason many of them are in good condition is because people have taken good care of them.

Crinoline is horsehair. They are special, but more fragile and not repairable. I would recommend for occasional use only. However in black you won't see the damage as much and that's looks like a wonderful example.

As for Petit H items. They are on an item my item basis. Look through our PH tread for more idea.

for crinoline, I’d avoid style which the bag is close to my clothes, such as crossbody. I have two vintage crinoline, one clutch and one crossbody. The crossbody one doesn’t get much use as it damaged my dress before. The clutch gets more use although I have to stay conscious not to put her on my lap. Having said that, they are very beautiful and unique.

Look at the return policy for h.com in your country.
If it is simple and free, you should have no fears about buying something that you do not like when you see it for real.
Although I don't like the idea of encouraging people to buy more with the idea of returning rather than keeping, this option could give you the confidence to try.

When it becomes within budget, if a Kelly does not fit your lifestyle - wipe it out of your mind and do not try to convince yourself otherwise. There will be other easier to acquire Hermes options.

Vibrato is very attractive. I recently acquired a Deauville tote and the vibrato is still perfect.
Thank you so much for your advice, I just emailed H.com to confirm the return policy. Great to know that vibrato holds up, congrats on your new bag!

I have been eyeing the petit h tote myself and think it is beautiful! H is so much more than B/K, and what I like about petit h is that you literally don´t know what you will get (style yes but colors no). And often Hermès surprises us with color combinations that seem completely off in the beginning but turn out to be perfect for everyday use.
Yes the numerous color comibinations are definitely what H is known for and loved by so many people...maybe I should just try my luck:P

Reactions: Stansy
You may find a smaller much loved Rerturne K for a good price someday so don't give up.

Meawhile

Vibrato is suede, so in darker colours fairly hardy but still not a rough and tumble bag. The reason many of them are in good condition is because people have taken good care of them.

Crinoline is horsehair. They are special, but more fragile and not repairable. I would recommend for occasional use only. However in black you won't see the damage as much and that's looks like a wonderful example.

As for Petit H items. They are on an item my item basis. Look through our PH tread for more idea.
Thank you so much for your advice! For either vibrato or crinoline it will be just occasional use; but since you mentioned that crinoline is not repairable I am leaning towards vibrato now. Maybe I’ll get a small collector piece in crinoline in the future.

for crinoline, I’d avoid style which the bag is close to my clothes, such as crossbody. I have two vintage crinoline, one clutch and one crossbody. The crossbody one doesn’t get much use as it damaged my dress before. The clutch gets more use although I have to stay conscious not to put her on my lap. Having said that, they are very beautiful and unique.
This is super helpful, really appreciate it! Initially I was considering a larger bag in crinoline because I feel that it would be a lot lighter and therefore more practical than an all leather piece, but now that you mention the issue with clothes I might consider a clutch instead :biggrin: also I would be more careful with a clutch than with a tote or bucket bag so it is probably better for the bag as well.