First Hermes Bag Dilemma

pinkprashu

O.G.
Jan 18, 2012
I have been an admirer of Hermes Birkin and Kelly for a long time. I am not new to Hermes and have bought scarves, belts, Clic-clacs etc. I own a lot of other designer bags from Chanel, Gucci, LV etc. And mostly gravitate towards black with gold hardware or other neutral colors. I do enjoy bright colors and have a couple of malachite and bright red bags. Having said that, I have been obsessed with buying a birkin or a kelly lately and I know it may take me a while to get a brand new birkin or a kelly from the hermes store. So, I am looking at preloved bags from AFF, FP, Yoogis, eBay sellers.

I have an option to buy a preloved Vache Liegee Black Birkin with GHW 30 cm and/or a Togo Rough H Kelly with PHW 32 cm from an established seller. I am very confused because of several reasons
1. New vs used - My husband thinks that I should buy directly from the store even if it takes time and not settle for used bags.
2. Size 30 vs 35 - I am 5 2 and petite, I like the look of 35 cm birkin as it fits my laptop and can be used for travel but think the 30 cm will be best for day to day use considering we are not traveling or going to the office these days.
3. Color Nuetral or Bright colors - My husband thinks that if we are spending over 10k, we should buy something that stands out and I agree with him when I see Rose Pourpre or Rouge Casaque or Malachite, etc. But I love the look of a black Birkin with ghw as it is very versatile.
4. Style Birkin or Kelly or both - Should I buy a Birkin or a Kelly. Eventually, I know I will buy both but not sure what would suit my lifestyle more. These days I am using my Gucci Marmont belt bag and Chanel WOC's the most and don't use the other bags.

I am sure you all were in my situation at some point deciding what color, size to buy when you first decided to own an hermes birkin or kelly. What do you suggest I do? Was your first bag a black bag? 30 or 35? What do you get the most use out of? If you own bright colors, do you use them often? What do you find more versatile a Birkin or Kelly?
I hear Vache Liegee is pretty rare and is a workhorse. Is that true? What do you think about Rouge H color?
I have so many questions. Can you please help???

I think with so many questions up in the air I would advise not to rush into anything so quickly. There are so so many good resources on the forum to help you understand the pros and cons of your style, size, leather and color concerns.

So many members share information and mod shots so hopefully you can find someone with your similar build and get a feel for those differences.

If you have a reseller store near you, you can check out the sizes they have available. Prior to the pandemic I would browse around the Hermes store and covertly check out customers’ bags and get an idea of the different sizes and how they may look on me.

There’s pros and cons of purchasing in store vs reseller route. Take a look at the other Hermes items, if nothing appeals to you; I’d go the reseller route and get the specs you want without buying items you’re not going to get much use out of.

You sound like you're very sensible and know yourself in many ways very well. So, firstly, is this bag for you or your husband? If he's the one paying (to give you as a gift) then perhaps there's a compromise to be had, otherwise I would go with your heart, your head and your experience.

1. New vs used - My husband thinks that I should buy directly from the store even if it takes time and not settle for used bags.

If what you want is at a resellers this minute or isn't available via the store (discontinued leather, colour etc) then I'm with you. If you are being offered something equally comparable and desirable at your store then of course consider the store's offer first.

2. Size 30 vs 35 - I am 5 2 and petite, I like the look of 35 cm birkin as it fits my laptop and can be used for travel but think the 30 cm will be best for day to day use considering we are not traveling or going to the office these days.

I think a 30 may look more proportionate and will be lighter, but we need what we need (first rule of bag shopping). Hopefully, the pandemic won't last forever and a B or K are for keeps (or at least longterm) so thinking about life under lockdown may not be so appropriate in this case.

3. Color Nuetral or Bright colors - My husband thinks that if we are spending over 10k, we should buy something that stands out and I agree with him when I see Rose Pourpre or Rouge Casaque or Malachite, etc. But I love the look of a black Birkin with ghw as it is very versatile.

No disrespect to your husband but you and he sound like you want this bag for different purposes. Him for investment and status and you for daily wear.

4. Style Birkin or Kelly or both - Should I buy a Birkin or a Kelly. Eventually, I know I will buy both but not sure what would suit my lifestyle more. These days I am using my Gucci Marmont belt bag and Chanel WOC's the most and don't use the other bags.

Buy one and see if you like it first. It also depends on the size too, a K 25 is nothing like a K 35 or 40 never mind a different bag model. I like the K (32/35) and never bothered with a B, I seem to grow out of the desire to own one (although HAC different story). As a tote, I prefer the GP and the DS and a host of other totes and hand-helds. Again, don't fret over the 'now', the only bag I've used regularly for a year is my Evie 29, but if I saw an amazing H bag that I'd always wanted at a good price I would still jump now and just put it on top of my piano along with all my other amazing but sad bags until we are 'free' again.

Unless you are getting both together as an all-in price with a sizeable discount, I'd hesitate to buy bag multiples all at once. Buy the one you most want first. Then you can think about the other.

No one is tortured more than my husband with my talk of luxury handbags. :lol: When I decided to finally started with H, I knew it might take a while to get a new bag from the store. I had two black, non-quota bags from H and knew the quality was amazing so was very much looking forward to a B or K.

My husband recommended waiting for a store quota bag offer. I ignored him.

Buying a used bag taught me that yes, I did absolutely love the Birkin. And it really put me at ease instead of always stressing about receiving an offer.

Cut to a few months later, I have since sold the used bag (and I use the term "used" loosely as I don't think the previous owner even used it once!). TBH, it did always bug me that it was not mine, not new from the boutique. My husband knew I would come to this conclusion on my own, but gently tried to prevent the inevitable with his 2 cents. The reseller route is perfect for some, doesn't work for others.

So I lost some money by listening to my impatient heart and not considering the advice of my always patient and optimistic husband. I don't totally regret the purchase, it scratched an itch at the time and taught me a lot.

I think that your height/size doesn't matter, go with the size of bag that you love, but do some research on the weight of these two bags in different leathers.

I struggle with this as well. And now I have a bright, bright green Bambou Birkin and a black/GHW Kelly. Maybe just accept the fact that there might be more than one Birkin or Kelly and if your first bag isn't black, set that goal for your 2nd. :biggrin:

Handheld/on the arm only is a big adjustment, just make sure you are ready for that if you are considering a B.

I am sure you all were in my situation at some point deciding what color, size to buy when you first decided to own an hermes birkin or kelly. What do you suggest I do? Was your first bag a black bag? 30 or 35? What do you get the most use out of? If you own bright colors, do you use them often? What do you find more versatile a Birkin or Kelly?
I hear Vache Liegee is pretty rare and is a workhorse. Is that true? What do you think about Rouge H color?
I have so many questions. Can you please help???

Will try to be brief, but to answer your questions as I was in this situation a year ago... I bought a used, dark green B35 first. A month later, I went to Paris FSH and bought a B30 in the bright green as I found the 35 too big for my daily needs (and I really did want a store purchase). I wear mostly black and grey so a pop of color is always ok. My green bag only clashes with my green clothes of a different shade. My one and only quota offer from my home store was a black K28. I love Birkins, but Kelly is more versatile. I find all H reds to be gorgeous, I think you would be lucky to have that. My suggestion would be to keep shopping at your H store, find an SA who you can work with long term, and trust that you will get your bag eventually (easier said than done, I know...).

LVinCali was fortunate in being able to start with a used bag AND THEN have the opportunity to buy new from boutique in Paris.
Even if you were in Paris you might not get and appointment; if you got an appointment the colour/size/hw combination might not be available.

This observation is extremely important:
I wear mostly black and grey so a pop of color is always ok. My green bag only clashes with my green clothes of a different shade.
If you are sensitive to it, this is a potential drawback with any colour.
The potential mismatch of the wrong tonal value of a colour could be very limiting.
For example just compare Malachite with Bamboo.

One thought around the 35 for carrying a laptop or for travel. You will find the 35 with a laptop unbearably heavy to carry around and the weight of the laptop is probably not advisable for the bag. I also would not recommend a 35 for travel. Not a great bag for carrying around tourist stops (big and heavy). You also won’t like stuffing your 35 in the overhead bin where it might get knocked around. Also I find it heavy carrying though airports. Having done a lot of travel in my past, I like proper travel bags that are designed to slip over a carry on suitcase handle. I think people who model a 35 in IG travel posts don’t actually sightsee with that bag!

One thought around the 35 for carrying a laptop or for travel. You will find the 35 with a laptop unbearably heavy to carry around and the weight of the laptop is probably not advisable for the bag. I also would not recommend a 35 for travel. Not a great bag for carrying around tourist stops (big and heavy). You also won’t like stuffing your 35 in the overhead bin where it might get knocked around. Also I find it heavy carrying though airports. Having done a lot of travel in my past, I like proper travel bags that are designed to slip over a carry on suitcase handle. I think people who model a 35 in IG travel posts don’t actually sightsee with that bag!

I agree about the weight of a 35 with a laptop. It's heavy!

Reactions: Bereal
Thank you Thank you Thank you psoucsd, papertiger, WhiteBus, LVinCali, lcd_purse_girl

I know I sounded so indecisive and not capable of making decisions but you guys really made me think through a few things.
So just a little bit of background on why I am so desperate to get a birkin. I always planned to get a Birkin in 2020 because I would turn 40 and it would also mark our 15 year wedding anniversary. We had planned to go to Europe and visit the fag ship store to try our luck. We knew we were going to make a few trips in 2020 to Europe as it was a big milestone year for us. Unfortunately, COVID hit and we were grounded and did not know when we will travel to europe. Hence the desperation to find something used to satisfy my itch. I usually purchase what I want and tell my husband that that would be the gift for my birthday or anniversary etc. as I don't want to be disappointed with a gift given by my husband and keep it out of guilt. Even if he buys something as a surprise he is smart enough to know that's what I want as I am not that subtle at dropping hints. He knows me for 22 years lol.

So Papertiger, I care that my husband likes it as it would be his gift technically to me and he is the kind that wants me to be happy. My only issue is that since I am not sure when I can get a new one.

Having said that, my husband said he will try the Wash DC hermes store this week to see if it really true that it would take years before we could get a brand new one. I can stay put until he tries his luck. I bought hermes items when I traveled for work and did not necessarily build a bond with any SA's so I guess I cannot use my previous SA's to get me one as they are far away.

I heard husbands seem to have better luck so I am fine with him trying to see if he can score something. I would love to buy a 30 cm Rouge Casaque, Blue Nuit, Noir or Gold in GHW Togo or Epsom or Chevre leathers

If he cannot score a new one, I will try my luck in the preloved market.

I have decided against a 35 cm birkin for now as I want more versatility per your suggestions. In terms of what I use today, I decided to post some pics of my current bags I use. I realized I buy a lot of black bags. But I use my prada saffiano and the mulberry Bayswater the most when going to the office as they fit my laptop and never babied them and know how sturdy they are. One is structured and other is not. Similar to Epsom and Togo I think. May be the size of them is similar to the 30 cm and 35 cm birkins. They are not light weight when I load them with stuff, which I often do.

So the question is do you guys think, a used 30 cm Noir Vache Liegee Birkin GHW from 2005 be a good choice if I go the preloved route?

Attachments

• 6A0E36F2-9A8D-474A-A39A-A06C519DF90E.jpeg
    6A0E36F2-9A8D-474A-A39A-A06C519DF90E.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 252D0236-75AF-4706-9AD4-55A7903E783E.jpeg
    252D0236-75AF-4706-9AD4-55A7903E783E.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 3E58E192-B88D-4A22-898D-02EB7E04A741.jpeg
    3E58E192-B88D-4A22-898D-02EB7E04A741.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 61
  • CDF5C3AA-7174-455E-A3B2-F01BC7F2524B.jpeg
    CDF5C3AA-7174-455E-A3B2-F01BC7F2524B.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 62
  • F4CA6599-A7B3-41C2-B61F-DCAAC13E04A6.jpeg
    F4CA6599-A7B3-41C2-B61F-DCAAC13E04A6.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 67
  • 7A487433-FF48-4066-AC30-70827C85687F.jpeg
    7A487433-FF48-4066-AC30-70827C85687F.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 65
  • 77D24C76-6F2A-4636-90E2-E46681161462.jpeg
    77D24C76-6F2A-4636-90E2-E46681161462.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 61
It is possible to get an offer relatively quickly; provided you’re willing to purchase some bigger ticket items like fine jewelry. Best tactic would be for hubby to make an appointment; be earnest in letting the SA know of his desire to buy you your dream bag for your 40th and ask about what it would take to be offered one.

Black does seem to be your color of choice. If you want to diversify, Bleu nuit or other almost black colors (bleu encre, deep blue, indigo, vert cypress, raisin, graphite, plomb) might be nice options to look at.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Thanks psoucsd. I certainly hope so. I do like the colors you suggested. I do get very drawn to dark blues and never heard of plomb until now. vert cypress and raisin are also great colors. I will add them to my list.

I do not have a Birkin or Kelly (yet) but seeing your collection and that you have a Bayswater, while I agree that you should try on the different sizes, I think a 35 will function like the Bayswater (which I have, and find so very very heavy with my laptop in it). In considering my own future options, I have decided that for a bag this expensive, it’s usefulness for work is not a priority. I did just buy a preowned Garden Party 36 for work (it weighs about half what the Bayswater does), but neither of us has been to the office yet.

I would not pay over 10K for a used bag, especially if you are talking about a bag from 2005.

I would relax my search and wait for one that you KNOW is for you. I think you are risking buying something that you will become unhappy with.
Birkin is not just any used bag, pls VL is discontinued, it's just personal preferences... I love vintage hermes...

Reactions: dp7328