First Dior Advice Needed

Metrowestmama

Lover of Bling
O.G.
Jan 15, 2013
I finally made my way into into a Dior store yesterday! And it was lovely. I had decided to finally go after hearing so many wonderful things from fellow TPFers. I also went after stopping by a Chanel boutique and not seeing anything of interest (again).

I was amazed at the quality of the leather and the beautiful styles! I tried various bags. The sales associates kept pushing two bags that had come into the store. They were all over the moon about them. Since I'm new to Dior, I had no point of reference.

One was the large Lady Dior in the Cheetah/leopard print. It is ponyhair. The other, a new Granville with metal backed handles and a contrast lining in light gray. I also liked a Lady Dior in light gray or a granville in dark gray. But they kept pushing the other two. Saying they are limited addition, classic, hard to get.

The ponyhair LD was about $5900 US compared to about $4100 for the gray Lady Dior. And while I've always wanted a leopard print bag, not sure if this large LD will be easy to maintain in the ponyhair. They did have a pouchette in the same print but they kept saying the large LD was better. Not sure if that is true vs just commissions! But it was beautiful. The LD looked stunning in it.

I liked the classic Granville with the raised canniage. It was a beautiful dark gray. Loved the soft structure too. I was having a hard time deciding between it and the light gray LD. (Classic Lady Dior in a year round light gray vs. A rich dark gray Granville with such great leather and contrast stitching). The SA brought out a new Granville with the metal backed handles with gray contrast lining. I really wasn't looking for a black bag. But the were over the moon with the thicker cross body strap, the new design.

They kept telling me to get these two bags because they were limited edition. Hard to come by. Fashion statement. I kept joking that I'm a Mom and not going to fashion week, just the school drop off line! But they were serious.

So it's hard to figure out if I should get one or both of these bags, since it wasn't what I went in for but they are beautiful and exclusive. Or I could just get one of the gray bags (LD or Granville) and the ponyhair pouchette for the leopard bag that has been a pattern I want in my handbag line up.

Since I'm new to Dior, I'm not sure if they are right and I'd be kicking myself in a couple of years or if they were just pushy SAs (again, no point of reference).

Appreciate any feedback as they are holding on to them for me today. {SIGH}. It would be so much easier if I was rich and I could just get them all and also not have to worry about sticky kid fingers!!!!!

I got the bags today. What do you all think? Sorry for the messy outfit but I wanted to get these photos up as I need to make a decision soon. REALLY appreciate any thoughts! Advice!

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 917
If you really only want to keep one, then I suggest keeping the new Granville. It is gorgeous and so practical too!

If you can keep both, then keep both. You can never go wrong with a Lady Dior bag.

Since there aren't many comments on my post, I'm thinking these aren't right for me. Maybe I'll get the leopard pouch or another brand entirely for the leopard and just a classic LD in the gray. Thanks @averagejoe!

I love the leopard print LD and you should also consider the other version of it in black leopard with stainless steel handles. Truly divine!

I did see that too. It was very unique. Hmmm. I've been looking for the classic leopard print but maybe the option is the bag you mention venusforu, that basically combines the concept of both of the bags above.

Since there aren't many comments on my post, I'm thinking these aren't right for me. Maybe I'll get the leopard pouch or another brand entirely for the leopard and just a classic LD in the gray. Thanks @averagejoe!

I don't think that a lack of comments means that they aren't good for you. The Dior forum doesn't have as much traffic as the Chanel forum, so sometimes it takes a few days to get a few responses.

I do really like this new Granville bag. I still recommend that you keep it. They did a lot to the bag to make it super luxurious, like rounding out the bottom corners, lining the bag entirely in leather, and adding metal to only the back side of each handle. The sharp contrast in colour between the outside and lining is extraordinary, and I haven't seen the light grey and black combination before which keeps the bag neutral and easy to pair things with.

Keep both if you can!!!! Love love love the leopard print LD, it's a fun take on a classic shape. And the Granville is a great bag for everyday! So you have something a little dressier and something a little more laid back ;). Great purchases!

I don't think that a lack of comments means that they aren't good for you. The Dior forum doesn't have as much traffic as the Chanel forum, so sometimes it takes a few days to get a few responses.

I do really like this new Granville bag. I still recommend that you keep it. They did a lot to the bag to make it super luxurious, like rounding out the bottom corners, lining the bag entirely in leather, and adding metal to only the back side of each handle. The sharp contrast in colour between the outside and lining is extraordinary, and I haven't seen the light grey and black combination before which keeps the bag neutral and easy to pair things with.

Great advice and thanks for explaining why. It's hard for me out of the gate to have two bags not part of the traditional line up and as a new Dior fan, understand the significance of the bags. So a sincere thanks for the details and explaining the bag's significance. l'll keep the Granville. As for the leopard LD, is it worth keeping? Or should I go with a leopard pouch? Appreciate your feedback @averagejoe. Learning that the Dior forum may be more quiet but the participants enthusiastic and welcoming group!

Last edited:
Totally agree with averagejoe!
Keep the Granville, it looks super-luxurious, sophisticated and can go with almost any outfit because of the neutral shade. Since you're investing so much in a bag, you should be able to wear it often too! You could tie a colorful scarf on the handle for a nice pop of color and to give the bag a different, fun look at times.

I adore the Granville - would be a great everyday bag. The LD is stunning and a real attention-grabber - I think it is gorgeous but you seem hesitant and I'd only keep it if you truly love it!