First Chanel?

gurl2789

O.G.
Dec 23, 2007
*Considering* buying my first Chanel. What would be the most durable (thinking caviar leather?) and classic (hold value) style that is on the lesser cost end? Let’s just say cheapest (I don’t think you can say cheap with Chanel? Haha) I can get so I do not need a large style.

Does the wallet on chain still come in caviar leather? Maybe it’s just not on the site

Last edited:
Reactions: A bottle of Red
Based on your description, I would suggest a wallet on chain as well, or other SLGs like wallets and card holders but I'm assuming you're looking for some sort of bag. They do still come in caviar, and based on the frequently updated stock thread, they pop up pretty regularly: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...s-no-questions-comments-read-1st-post.937411/

I was also able to get a caviar WoC about two months ago by walking into a boutique with no appointment, but I could have just been lucky. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Reactions: gurl2789
Only classic flaps are worth buying imo - preferable in sz small or medium...caviar is definitely more durable. Sadly you won't save much money or any at all by going the pre-love route, unless you don't mind finding a vintage piece with 24ct gold plated hardware with some wears and tears, they tend to priced around the $5k range but in lambskin. Otherwise, just buy it brand new from the boutique. I've never met anyone who stopped at getting a WoC and not wanting to get a classic flap down the road, so you might as well get a classic flap first before another crazy price increase. You can always get a WoC later, they always have them in stock and the price increase isn't significant.

Caviar WOC—it’s so versatile and perfect for me as I don’t like to carry a lot around. Crossbody wear is a must for me so the classic flap would be out. If you want a bag that holds a bit more than a woc but is still relatively inexpensive and has durable leather then the mini reissue 2.55 is a good option.

I don’t have a WOC but would think it best meets your criteria. Would def recommend caviar as it is so carefree. I have one Chanel bag only and am definitely at purse peace; it’s a medium black classic flap in caviar. I spent A LOT of time researching and deliberating over it and do not regret my decision at all. Have had it for 14 months and while the pandemic has not presented as many opportunities for use as I would like, it is still love at first sight every time I whip it out. :heart:

Also have to agree with @waterlily112 about not stopping at a WOC and ultimately getting a classic flap down the line. Originally I got the classic long wallet as a way of getting a Chanel while staying affordable…ended up getting the classic flap bag 4 months later. :biggrin:

I agree with everyone on a caviar WOC as it's a very versatile piece. I also began my collection with a WOC, it holds very little but works perfectly for my needs. And I also agree that you won't stop at one and will eventually get classic flap down the line lol.

Reactions: sunshineshiney
*Considering* buying my first Chanel. What would be the most durable (thinking caviar leather?) and classic (hold value) style that is on the lesser cost end? Let’s just say cheapest (I don’t think you can say cheap with Chanel? Haha) I can get so I do not need a large style.

Does the wallet on chain still come in caviar leather? Maybe it’s just not on the site
Imo I believe a double C flap bag will always hold its value more then a non flap bag. Yes caviar will be the most durable however I always seem to find more lambskin then caviar, so finding a caviar flap may take patience. They still make caviar but I don't see it on many bags, and not every season. I haven't had issues yet with my lambskin Chanels however I'm pretty mindful whenever I use any of my bags. The cheaper end of a flap Chanel that holds its value would be a double C mini flap, like the mini square or the rectangle. I believe those 2 versions are on the cheaper end (the mini versions) but yet still practical that will hold their value more then the WOC even though it is a flap style bag. I purchased a black lambskin small double C double flap bag from Fashionphile and later on sold it. I just wasn't reaching for it much as it was a bit too formal looking for my taste and held literally the BARE ESSENTIALS!. The double flap versions do not hold much (due to the double flap) and the size small I had REALLY didn't hold much but they are still nice bags that people still desire so they hold their value the best. If you get the double C mini versions of the flap you'll still get that classic look without that ridiculous pricetag yet they still are desirable and hold their value as long as you stick to black and stay away from the seasonal colors like pink, etc. If you desire to sell it later (after you have had it for a few years) you should be able to make a profit on it if you sell it yourself vs a consignment that will obviously offer you much less. I ended up getting a grey Reissue 2.55 Double Flap 226 with aged leather and surprisingly prefer the look and size of that vs the small double C double flap I owned. It has more of an edgier look which I prefer. The Reissues do not hold their value like the Double C but cost the same new in the boutique, so if you prefer the Reissue, for sure go to the preloved market for that. If this will be your 1st Chanel, I say go for the double C flap bag if it's in your budget. :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: LVinStLouie
At my first visit to boutique, i was there looking for WOC. I was able to try that on and somehow found it too small. Then moved on with black mini rectangular as my first Chanel, went to put myself on waitlist. Luckily they had one i could try in different color. It was indeed a beautiful bag. But I ended up putting my money in a classic flap small.

I feel a made a right decision. Its hard to stop at first Chanel and we always crave that Classic flap.