First Chanel: which one to buy

jasmine007

Feb 25, 2018
Hi
Sorry for repeating question. But I need an advice from you experts.
I have been planning to buy my first Chanel for a while now (last year I bought Gucci instead).
And I am pretty confused which one will fit my lifestyle.
Probably I am thinking about too many points:
- It will definitely be not everyday bag
- Very often I like wearing my bags cross-body.
- I like bags on chain
- I am 5'5 and on a pretty heavy side (size 10-12)
- I am definitely going to get in caviar leather since I am scared to spoil lambskin bag (not sure about other leathers offered).
- Color: black

Which one would you recommend? Size of bag and length of the chain is the biggest issue I can see.
Options so far:
WOC (like size of the chain, bag might look too small on me)
Class M/l flap bag, (chain is too short, but size of the bag is ok)
Jumbo flap bag (like size of the chain, might be a little big for not everyday bag, what do you think?)

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
WOC is the only one you can comfortably wear cross body. The jumbo is way too long and the ML might be too short and the bag will hit you in a weird spot. If it HAS to be cross body, would go for the mini rectangle. It's more of a "bag" vs the WOC. If you are fine with not wearing it cross body I would go for the ML flap. Jumbo is nice but I now find it heavy and boxy.

Reactions: jasmine007
WOC is the only one you can comfortably wear cross body. The jumbo is way too long and the ML might be too short and the bag will hit you in a weird spot. If it HAS to be cross body, would go for the mini rectangle. It's more of a "bag" vs the WOC. If you are fine with not wearing it cross body I would go for the ML flap. Jumbo is nice but I now find it heavy and boxy.

Thanks for advice:smile: I didn't consider mini rectangle, will all add it to my list :smile:

If you don’t care much about the CC logo I would suggest Reissue 226 or 225 (depend on how much you carry). As mentioned by previous poster, it ticks most if not all of your boxes. My first Chanel was WOC but I’d say it’s not really a bag for me. My second C is Reissue 226 so black. I have collected 6 Chanel bags and Reissue 226 is still my favourite and most used. Best purchase for me. You may also consider Mini if you prefer smaller and caviar, and the CC turnlock of course. I have 2 and don’t regret both

If it definitely has to be cross body then the WOC or mini rectangular flap
However I do think the Jumbo is a great first bag. I used to think the M/L but the jumbo fits so much more and I reach for it more than my M/L. The jumbo can be worn cross body but it’s a bit bulky, the M/L chain however is too short for cross body. The jumbo works for almost all occasions apart from formal events whereas the WOC and mini is a bit casual. I think if you buy a WOC or mini you may later want a classic flap too as they serve such different purposes.

Let us know what you pick!

Hi
Sorry for repeating question. But I need an advice from you experts.
I have been planning to buy my first Chanel for a while now (last year I bought Gucci instead).
And I am pretty confused which one will fit my lifestyle.
Probably I am thinking about too many points:
- It will definitely be not everyday bag
- Very often I like wearing my bags cross-body.
- I like bags on chain
- I am 5'5 and on a pretty heavy side (size 10-12)
- I am definitely going to get in caviar leather since I am scared to spoil lambskin bag (not sure about other leathers offered).
- Color: black

Which one would you recommend? Size of bag and length of the chain is the biggest issue I can see.
Options so far:
WOC (like size of the chain, bag might look too small on me)
Class M/l flap bag, (chain is too short, but size of the bag is ok)
Jumbo flap bag (like size of the chain, might be a little big for not everyday bag, what do you think?)

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

If you can go to a physical store, i suggest to try on a WOC first cos i got one from a personal shopper and was shocked w how small it was. I mean i was watching all the WIMB videos on youtube prior to purchasing but i was still shocked when i got it. My bf got me a small camera bag afterwards & I’m telling you it could fit a whooole lot more! —this is if u want to be a bit practical. :smile:

I agree, if you don't care about the CC logo, I would get the reissue 226 in aged calfskin. It's as carefree as caviar leather, but holds more than the m/l (226 size is in between jumbo and m/l). I'm about your height and size and LOVE my 226 which an NM SA introduce to me when I went in for a jumbo. You can wear it crossbody (unlike M/L) and it's much lighter than the jumbo in caviar. It's also very understated with history behind the bag (Coco herself designed the bag).

Reissue and/or boy. Both can be dressed up or down, enough space to carry most essentials and both can be used crossbody.

I have never been a fan of woc, I’m a very light carrier and don’t see the point of paying a bag price for a wallet, it won’t even fit the bare minimum like makeups, keys and phone. You will find jumbo too heavy and not practical

Thank you for all the advises.
I went to nearby NM yesterday and tried what they had:
WOC is so tiny, I liked the drop of the chain though.
M/L classic flap (too short and tight, defiantly not for me)
Jumbo classic flap (great bag, but seems too bulky for me , but I still may buy it one day!!!!).

There was no SINGLE MINI in stock, I wanted to try rectangular one and it's pre-ordered 2 months ahead :O
I am ok with waiting, just want to see how it will look on me.
There is one actual Chanel store 50 mins drive from my house , so I will go there during weekend to try Minis and Reissue.