First Chanel, go crazy or go classic?

x_allegra_x

May 21, 2020
What did you guys do for your first Chanel bag, go with a classic flap or more of a statement piece?

I would love to hear/see what you went for!

I'm currently lusting this beautiful black & burgundy small flap but this would be my first Chanel purchase & a lot of people have told me to go classic for the first time (even though I'm totally in love with this bag!)

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 8.34.20 pm.png

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :smile:

Agree with the above - you can always get a classic later. If you truly love this why not? I see small/medium classics available almost every single time when I am in Chanel. But if you miss a seasonal bag/colour you may have to wait for a long time to see it again. My first Chanel is a navy rectangular mini, many say get a black (I wanted to) but I am very happy with my navy and I love it. And I know they come out with a black mini every year.

Classic Maxi flap in black caviar. That was back when it was only $3300, so my opinion of the price-to-performance ratio has changed dramatically and not favorably over the last ten years. To buy it new again would be $8000 today, and the known quality issues are a hard stop for me. After the maxi, I did end up buying quite a few more more colorful-ish and interesting bags, so my approach was classic (x2) then fun.

A word of caution for lambskin -- it is delicate and highly prone to scratches and scuffs.

My unpopular opinion is that you probably will not regret letting this bag go in a few years. I totally understand that strong lust for a striking special piece, but I have passed on many of those more interesting medium flaps over the years and do not regret a single one. All of that said, if the price is agreeable to you, and you find yourself thinking about it when you wake up and talking about it to people who truly don't care (perhaps like what I do to my husband, for example), then maybe you should go for it.

I am new to the Chanel game, and I definitely went classic first with a medium CF SHW. Two things that did factor into my decision, however, was first my lack of particular interest in this season's colors or styles, though in the past there have been several seasonal bags that I probably would have gotten first over the classic black that I ended up with (looking at you pearl bag/Tiffany blue!), and second my boutique is a small NM outpost so we don't even have 20k stuff in yet!

Get what your heart wants, I'd say, but I don't regret my classic piece. It makes me feel more at peace with my collection knowing this is a piece that will defo not go out of style (even color-wise) for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I would go for “classic with a twist”, like medium CF in red/burgundy, mini in navy/beige/green/pink. I would go for a classic shape but seasonal color. This way, I don’t have a bag that everyone has but there’s usually still demand for it a few years later
Also, consider other bags in your collection. Are you easily bored with your bags? If you are, it’s better to go for less trendy pieces.

My first Chanel bag was CC Filigree Vanity Case/lunchbox. I don't regret my choice, and I'm actually looking to get the same style but different color and bigger. I still don't own a classic, and I don't want to.

If a classic is a must for you, and you'll kick yourself if you wait 2+ years and the price has gone up a lot, then I would get a classic. If it's in the back of your mind as a "want," but you aren't actually actively looking at it, then don't get it. If you end up getting every other Chanel bag, except classics, well it just shows the classic was never a true "want" for you.

Buy what you like and enjoy. Don't worry about people's thoughts on getting a classic. The most important thing is how you feel about the bag, not what other people say and think. Think about it this way, if there was only one classic and one of the bag you like left in the whole world, and I bought the black/burgundy bag, how would you feel?

Now if you regret your choice a day or years later, it's ok. We've all made bag choices we regret. Sometimes it takes a purchase to make us realize what we really want. Sometimes the bag doesn't work with our fashion. Sometimes it doesn't work with our needs and lifestyle.

What did you guys do for your first Chanel bag, go with a classic flap or more of a statement piece?

I would love to hear/see what you went for!

I'm currently lusting this beautiful black & burgundy small flap but this would be my first Chanel purchase & a lot of people have told me to go classic for the first time (even though I'm totally in love with this bag!)

View attachment 4875943

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :smile:
Only buy what you absolutely love and adore! The classic can wait ! Enjoy the journey!

That color combination is gorgeous. If you love it, get it.

The classic flap is always going to be available. Hey, you can even go on buying Chanel without ever buying the CF. It is not like it is an obligation. Getting a bag should be about fun.

In terms of looks, any Chanel flap is a classic and (to me) some may be more classy than the classic. The difference with the CF is that it keeps its value in the pre-loved market, so if you are thinking of reselling or not super confident about your purchase, that is a consideration.