First Chanel for a guy: Filigree Vanity Case vs Boy Bag

Which one should i get?

• Total voters

jojoba25

Jul 25, 2020
Hi there been debating *hard* since last month whether to get the Filigree Vanity Case in the new small size in Beige Black LGHW vs Small RHW Black Boy,
A little info about me i am a guy, love boxy small bags and wear an all black/black and white outfit most of the time. Both of these bags seems to be the two bag from Chanel that i gravitate towards (style, colour and size wise)

Which one should i get to compliment my monochromatic outfit and have better overall score for a daily small bag? is the beige and black Vanity Case looks too feminine (can't deny though something about the beige and black combo in the filigree line is screaming classic Chanel) but so is the RHW Black Chanel boy which stood the test of time...

Thank you, your opinion is very much appreciated :biggrin:

3d808ad8a259630740a5c773fae47bbd.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just gonna start with that your gender shouldn't have anything to do with the bag you choose! If you like something, it's YOUR style. Not a "girl style" or "guy style."

That being said, I generally prefer the boy over the vanity, and think it's more of a classic piece with more style options in terms of dressing up/down and with a variety of outfits. Though I do think the vanity offers a nice additional neutral color, if you're mostly black and white.

Do you have a boutique near you where you could try the bags on?

Just gonna start with that your gender shouldn't have anything to do with the bag you choose! If you like something, it's YOUR style. Not a "girl style" or "guy style."

That being said, I generally prefer the boy over the vanity, and think it's more of a classic piece with more style options in terms of dressing up/down and with a variety of outfits. Though I do think the vanity offers a nice additional neutral color, if you're mostly black and white.

Do you have a boutique near you where you could try the bags on?

Thank you very much Saaski for your advice and insight :smile:, I've tried the boy in store before, maybe i should take a look of the vanity case too just to get a feel of it in real life... Hopefully by then i can make a solid decision

Have a great day!

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and Saaski
Thank you very much Saaski for your advice and insight :smile:, I've tried the boy in store before, maybe i should take a look of the vanity case too just to get a feel of it in real life... Hopefully by then i can make a solid decision

Have a great day!
Definitely try the vanity on! Best way to see what works.

• Love
Reactions: RT1
I love that version of the boy. You might what to think about practicalities (sorry to be boring) I’m not sure that the way the other bag opens might be a problem for me personally, I might prefer the boy from a practical point of view if you are using the bag a lot, so deffo go and try on and think about opening them up to get things out etc and is one better than the other for this . Good luck

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and jojoba25
Hi there been debating *hard* since last month whether to get the Filigree Vanity Case in the new small size in Beige Black LGHW vs Small RHW Black Boy,
A little info about me i am a guy, love boxy small bags and wear an all black/black and white outfit most of the time. Both of these bags seems to be the two bag from Chanel that i gravitate towards (style, colour and size wise)

Which one should i get to compliment my monochromatic outfit and have better overall score for a daily small bag? is the beige and black Vanity Case looks too feminine (can't deny though something about the beige and black combo in the filigree line is screaming classic Chanel) but so is the RHW Black Chanel boy which stood the test of time...

Thank you, your opinion is very much appreciated :biggrin:

View attachment 4840809

View attachment 4840810
I agree the color of Vanity beige/black is lovely, and I also agree that is kind more on the feminine /girly side.
I'm a lady but still don't think that the vanity case suits my style ,as my style is simple ,monochromatic like you , and the vanity case is too girly for my taste ,but the color combo is is great!
Ever considered the Gabrielle? It also comes in black/beige if you'r not favoring black .

My advise after all, try each bag you love and take pictures ,then check them out and decide what you love the most. Take your time to make your decision.

And let us know what you choose.

• Love
Reactions: jojoba25 and RT1
I agree the color of Vanity beige/black is lovely, and I also agree that is kind more on the feminine /girly side.
I'm a lady but still don't think that the vanity case suits my style ,as my style is simple ,monochromatic like you , and the vanity case is too girly for my taste ,but the color combo is is great!
Ever considered the Gabrielle? It also comes in black/beige if you'r not favoring black .

My advise after all, try each bag you love and take pictures ,then check them out and decide what you love the most. Take your time to make your decision.

And let us know what you choose.

This is some really great advice here. :tup:

Reactions: jojoba25
First of all - rock what you love! I personally love the Boy more and the Vanity is not something I gravitate towards, and I believe the opening of the Vanity will bother me as well, but it will be a good idea for you to check both out in person if you can! :smile:

• Love
I bought and return the Filigree Vanity Case. I really wanted to like it but:
  • There is no feet and the 2 lock attachment hang lower than the bag so it drags =(
  • Opening and closing is difficult with the zipper
  • If zipper breaks then what?
  • The cotton along the zipper could fray easily
It was so pretty but don't want to keep the bag on a shelf as I was too afraid to use it.
Boy bag is my vote.