First Chanel Boutique purchase - and it smells awful!

Queenoftoasts

May 14, 2019
Hi ladies! I just made my very first brand new at the boutique Chanel handbag purchase and scored this beautiful 19A triple flap (AS 0825 B00950). It is absolutely stunning, looks great as a shoulder bag and as a crossbody. But...it SMELLS!!!! And not like a lovely leather either. It reeks of a chemical, plastic smell. The bags I tried on at the boutique all had soft leather and a lovely leather scent. My SA said because it was a pre-sale (shipped directly to me) and had never been on a shelf before, it needs to air out. I've been letting her air out for over a week now and the smell hasn't gone away. Is this normal!? Any advice?

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190617184805395_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190617184805395_COVER.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Reactions: fcmilliner2031
Hi ladies! I just made my very first brand new at the boutique Chanel handbag purchase and scored this beautiful 19A triple flap (AS 0825 B00950). It is absolutely stunning, looks great as a shoulder bag and as a crossbody. But...it SMELLS!!!! And not like a lovely leather either. It reeks of a chemical, plastic smell. The bags I tried on at the boutique all had soft leather and a lovely leather scent. My SA said because it was a pre-sale (shipped directly to me) and had never been on a shelf before, it needs to air out. I've been letting her air out for over a week now and the smell hasn't gone away. Is this normal!? Any advice?

If you've already let it air out for awhile, and the smell still bothers you I would recommend exchanging for a new bag.

On another note, some people are more sensitive to synthetic notes and other chemicals. Have you ever been adverse to or sickened by the "new leather" car smell or the smell in a leather shoe store? These are signs that you have a chemical sensitivity. In this case, you'd need to air the bag out for a longer period of time or avoid it all together.

Reactions: Glitterbomb
I don’t buy your SA’s explanation that the bag didn’t have a chance to air out because it never sat on a shelf. I’ve had bags that arrived with shrink wrap around the boxes and opened them up to smell leather, not chemicals. I would bring that bag back to exchange.

I would return or exchange. I had one bag that smelled chemically (a reissue) and decided to keep it since I thought the smell would dissipate and I didn’t want the hassle of shipping it back. Big mistake. The smell never went away and it bothered me. I ended up selling it a few years later for a loss and replaced it with a new one.

Thanks so much for the responses. I definitely didn't think this was normal. I've never been sensitive to leather smells before, and quite frankly typically enjoy it. I'm not near a boutique so I'll have to mail it back and hope my SA can find another one. :sad:

I have had this issue. I purchased a brand new m/l from the boutique and it smelled so bad, I returned it the same day. I learned my lesson...always smell bags at the store, even if you look crazy. They should smell good!!