First chanel bag ever: yay or nay?

Janniklok

Mar 13, 2013
Hey fellow handbag addicts 😊
I am about to purchase my very first chanel bag ever! I wanted it to be the 2.55 - but find that i kinda need to settle with a cheaper style just for now, as I'm about to start on my studies.
I want your opinions on this style, is to go or no go? 😊 it's a flap bag (well obviously doh) lambskin with gold HW. It measures 25x17x8 cm.
Is it a good "starter"? 😉ImageUploadedByPurseForum1403019751.333904.jpg

For this particular purse it's 1,416 $(preloved, but in good condition), the 2.55 is 2,760 $. I really really really want a chanel flap bag - and something in me keep saying "why pay double for the 2.55" - but I'm sure you Ladies know everything about these second thoughts.
Not that i won't pay the money but the bag is send from USA (because we dont have a Chanel boutique in my country) and i feel that 2k is a lot of money for a bag that i have not felt or seen personaly. Can you relate?
And i like this bag too - it just wasnt my first choice.

Save up for what you want, but I can agree and relate to wanting to put a cap on how much you can justify spending on a bag, whichever brand it is. Not everyone can just go out and buy multiple expensive bags and it's so easy to say that you should just save up longer, but remember to stay true to yourself. If you can't justify it, you'll never feel good about it. On this particular bag - only do it if you'd be really happy about it. If it doesn't feel good, just keep looking. Good luck choosing!

Thanks for the advice ladies. I decided to buy it so I can try having a chanel bag and see if it really fits me the way I imagine.
I had a feeling that i would be sad to let this bag go, i wanted it! So I decided to settle for now but when that being said I WILL be getting a 2.55 somehow later in my life. Maybe when i finished my studies and earn more of these $$ ;)
Yay Im a happy Chanel owner to be!!
Now I just hope the bag's condition can live up to my expectations..

How does lambskin wear and tear in bad weather etc?

I think you made the right decision. You're young and you want to experiment. It is a beautiful bag and not at all something you are just "settling" with. I am in my forties and just now saving for my first chanel. So my younger self from 20 years ago is totally envious!

Marylin your reply made me smile :smile: you are so right! I have been wanting a chanel for ages and now that i have saved for one i couldnt resist getting it. I have the feeling that it was the right thing to do right now!

I do like this style you found. I think it's wise of you to save up someday for your ultimately chanel flap bag..... But in the meantime this was not a bad choice at all. I do believe in only getting things you love so if once you get it you are just so-so about it don't keep it. Please show us some mod shots once you get it!

Marylin: The bag of my first choice (which i've always admired and wanted very badly) is the 2.55 jumbo caviar gold HW with jumbo CC turnlock. I might just start save now! Ha ha.